The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Steel core coins vs Magnetic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
drewski
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of drewski
Hey guys,

I'm completely new to playing with shimmed coins and was wanting some input on the pros and cons of using either steel core coins vs magnetic coins?

I'm looking to add a few simple coin vanish effects for my close-up routines using my PK ring or a magnet concealed inside my coat pocket. Does anyone have any input? Also, can anyone suggest a resource that has some inexpensive coins that I could pick up?

Thanks in advance, fellas!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Part of me would like to share the distinctions between the 2 and part of me would like to see you gain the experience and insight so that you can answer your own question.
I choose the latter please.
drewski
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of drewski
Well, clearly the distinction is that one is gaffed with a magnet, while the other one is clearly an un-magnetized steel core coin that would stick to a magnet. All I'm asking for are some simple pro's and con's on the usage and maneuverability of each. I'm not asking for you to expose any routines or techniques nor am I asking for a routine or technique. I'm just requesting friendly insight.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
It depends On what you are going to use it for! Smile But if you Are just going to be loading it on and off A magnetic Hold out. I would Get A steal core coin! they Sound better!( Or the ones I have got From Lassen DO anyway!:)) And you don't have to remember What side You need to have It on to make it stick to the hold out! And for me anyway That's the best part, Less Stuff to Remember! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Bob Magic
View Profile
New user
San Diego, California
90 Posts

Profile of Bob Magic
And then there is the matter of polarity. A steel core has no polarity but if you should have the wrong side of magnetic coin come in contact with your PK Ring it will be repelled instead of attracted and this could be embarrassing. Since you already have the ring, there is no advantage with a magnetic coin and the steel core is cheaper. Go with the steel core..

-Bob
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Regarding a source for steel (or magnetic) coins, I have been happy with the Kennedy half dollar gaffs I purchased from Johnson -- reasonably priced and indistinguishable from ungaffed coins. I think their coins are available both at various retailers as well as directly from them.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
drewski
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of drewski
You guys are AWESOME!

I totally forgot to consider the polarity issue with the PK ring. David and Bob's suggestions for a steel coin over the magnetic coin is well informed and helpful. Thanks guys!

Romano- I'll check out Tannen's here in NYC tomorrow and see what they have in stock.

Thanks again, guys! Smile
tony555
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tony555
Little bit of info the english 10p piece dated 2011 or above are now steel core, similar to the english 2p coin, I also believe the 5p coin above 2011 is the same.

Tony555
drewski
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of drewski
Tony - That's just standard for those coins now? If so, that's GREAT! Except, I'm in the US but I'm sure I can track a few down from my friends over in the UK.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2027 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2012-04-08 20:14, Bob Magic wrote:
And then there is the matter of polarity. A steel core has no polarity but if you should have the wrong side of magnetic coin come in contact with your PK Ring it will be repelled instead of attracted and this could be embarrassing.

Or the trick simply changes from a vanish to a telekinesis demonstration. Smile
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Also, magnetic coins will stick to EACH OTHER, while the shims will not. Troy Hooser has some nice work on magnetic coins in his new book, Moments, exploring the point that a stack of magnetics act, in essence, like they are in a clip.
drewski
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of drewski
Well, I decided to jump in and buy one of each to experiment with. I have an idea for a routine involving both, so I hope it works as planned.

I'm just looking to do some quick coin vanishes to close some other coin tricks I use in my close up repertoire.

Thanks for everyone's input!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Your welcome! Smile Let us know how it goes! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
drewski
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of drewski
Just got my steel and magnetic coins a few days ago. Been playing around with them and it seems that the magnetic coin isn't as strong as I had hoped for. It may just be the manufacturing of the coin itself.

I got a great idea from Magick over at Fantasma yesterday when he suggested using my wallet chain to ditch the magnetic coin. Been messing with that a bit and seeing what I can get away with.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed help!
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Looks like you will need a real strong magnetic hold out for your back pocket now. :o)

watch out for the polarities. :o)
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
BuddhaStephy
View Profile
New user
Nevada USA
79 Posts

Profile of BuddhaStephy
Have you checked out the Subterfuge Magic System? It combines the best of both worlds- polarity isn't an issue, no fragile PK ring, no clink, no clothing requirments, no strings, no pulls, and you can use magnetic and steel core coins. If you have any questions let me know.

http://www.preceptmagic.com/product/subterfuge-magic-system
preceptmagic.com
Serious Tools For Serious Magicians
john oleson
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of john oleson
Good suggestion, BuddhaStephy!

Anyone know where to get just the ring/s featured in the SMS?

johno from tropical Michigan
BuddhaStephy
View Profile
New user
Nevada USA
79 Posts

Profile of BuddhaStephy
Thank you John Smile
You can buy the ring individually in all 3 sizes from Precept Magic's website. You can also buy each individual piece of the system as well for those who need multiples for their effects.

http://www.preceptmagicshop.com/servlet/the-New/Categories
preceptmagic.com
Serious Tools For Serious Magicians
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6754 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The Subterfuge Magic System sounds like a good bet to me. I like where they go with this...

That said, I can use both mag and steel cores. There are so many uses for each...I don't know where to begin. Okay, the steel core coins...GREAT for use with the Raven! Chuck Leach has made some improvements and has some Raven accessories now:

http://www.chazpro.com/servlet/StoreFront

The magnetic coins, let's see...OK! Mike Gallo has a GREAT routine using four mag halves! It's on the NY Coin Magic Seminar series. Not sure which volume at the moment.

Steel core coins vs Magnetic? I'd say BOTH! Smile

Doug
tony555
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tony555
HI For info in the UK the 10p piece dated 2012 and future coins are steel core. Now that's a bonus.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Steel core coins vs Magnetic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL