The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about signed card effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I have never done any signed card effects, but I'm working on a routine that involves several signed cards. My question concerns the type of pen to use. I was planning to use a black, fine-point "Sharpie".

Can the card be handled immediately after signing without smudging? Or do I need to wait a minute or two?

Thanks for the help.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
It dries immediately.

Eddie
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Well...not immediately, about one to three seconds though...usually a quick blow is enough to make sure it won't smudge.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Thanks for the replies, I figured Sharpies would be fine, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks again!!
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Yes, black fine point Sanford Sharpies are the way to go for card signing. It can be purchased from any nearby office dealer.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I was at WalMart the other day and saw some silver sharpie's. Does anyone use these? I do anniversary waltz type of trick that has someone sign the back of a card. I think that the silver would show up better then the black, espicially on blue backed decks.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
I recommend dark green, because it shows up equally well on either red or black cards.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
There's a routine on one of the "Best of Jay Sankey" videos where he uses blowing on the ink to dry it as misdirection.

Even if it did dry quickly, you might want to draw out the length of time for your own purposes.

Bill
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I always use a Sharpie with my card effects. There are some funny little jokes you can use if you have one in hand. "Ooh, careful with that, Its a little *sharpie*."

I am so confident with how fast it dries that as joke, I rub the card on the shoulder or the back of the spectator's hand. That can also give you some misdirection if needed. "Excuse me, let me see if this is fully dry."

Be careful about who you do that dry ink joke to. You might end up with the sharpie up your nose. Smile
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
A Sharpie pen is the best way to go, in my opinion. It writes on a variety of surfaces and dries quickly. Just give it a second or two and you're all set! Smile
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
It does tend to dry a little slower on surfaces that are really smooth like plastic, metal, etc.

On a card, the drying time is near instantaneous.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I also use a green one because it shows up so well on cards of either color.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It's best to test the marker on the deck at practice. That way you will know how long it takes to dry. The markers and cards varies. I noticed it takes longer for a permanent marker to dry on a Hoyle deck than on a Bicycle deck.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Wow, thanks for all the great input everyone! I actually felt a little silly asking this question. I thought I might get one or two responses at the most, but I guess there is plenty to consider.

Thanks again! Smile
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
I am so confident with how fast it dries that as joke, I rub the card on the shoulder or the back of the spectator's hand. That can also give you some misdirection if needed. "Excuse me, let me see if this is fully dry."

I wouldn't do that on a shirt, just in case you use the wrong brand or something. If you somehow get ink on someone's clothing it will not come off.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1630 Posts

Profile of Futureal
You got to love the Internet. Instead of writing something on a card and trying to smudge it with your finger, you can ask someone on the other side of the world about it.
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Quote:
On 2003-10-26 05:34, Futureal wrote:
You got to love the Internet. Instead of writing something on a card and trying to smudge it with your finger, you can ask someone on the other side of the world about it.

:rolleyes: Smile
William Holcomb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about signed card effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL