The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Face it - The Cups and Balls are .. BORING (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2758 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Or use the edit button. Smile
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
https://magicalaurieblog.wordpress.com/
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Hi Magicalaurie! I did try to go back and edit, but unfortunately the button had already gone away. I promise to proofread more carefully; I am an English professor, after all.

On a related side note, while I have no desire to become a grammar patrolman at the Café--there are plenty here already and I generally keep such comments to a minimum unless I am honestly trying to be helpful--there is one surprisingly frequent error I feel the need to address:

As related to magic, the word we want to use is "sleight" not "slight." "Slight of hand" would mean "having tiny hands," which while perhaps true of some magicians, they generally mean "skilled or cunning use of the hands," which needs the "e".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I spend half my life explaining homonyms, homophones, and word origins to developmental writing students--with great joy and with the intent to instill a love and understanding of words. And I agree that part of respecting the art and the artists involves making at least an effort to get the important elements right.

And, by the way, my alter-ego is named Thaumus Sage after one of (y)our favorite words for "magician."
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2758 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 12:30, Motley Mage wrote:
Hi Magicalaurie! I did try to go back and edit, but unfortunately the button had already gone away...

Hi Motley Mage! Yes, but I was referring to 11:28 and 11:29 a.m. Smile
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
https://magicalaurieblog.wordpress.com/
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Looking for practical advise.

Click here to view attached image.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I very much disagree with the statement that there is a definitive "right" and "wrong" way to do a routine. What works for some will not work for others, and vice versa. I think it's very dangerous to speak as though things are absolutely one way or another, especially when it comes to creativity. Doing that only limits things. Bill often refers to the performer he knows that uses every move in the book in his routine. It sounds as though it's not working for that guy. I bet there's someone out there, however, that could pull that off and kill with it.

Some routines fit some performers. Other routines fit other performers. The terms right and wrong imply that these things are facts, which they are not; merely opinions. What we do with those opinions and advice is what can make us stronger performers, but to rule out certain aspects of a routine for every single performer in every situation is to limit creativity, which is never good. We should recognize our strengths and weaknesses and assist others in the same.

I think Bill's four points ought to be a sticky in this section. In fact they ought to be a sticky in just about every section; they're that good.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2975 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Andrew,

While I can see where you're coming from with regards to the perils of claiming a definitive "right" or "wrong" in all this, I think that we need to be honest about what makes a classic effect classic, what the features of that effect are, and figure out if our routining and presentation is highlighting those features or undermining them.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I just got an announcement from Michael Ammar for his "4 minutes of fame" cups and balls routine. It looks like a great way to involve a spectator and get the audience rooting for him, and ultimately you.

In this short (!) routine, the spectator handles the cups and the magic happens without even him knowing how he did it. I see potential for street use, and in keeping with the title of this thread, keeps the routine short and sweet and is over before it has a chance of getting boring.

http://michaelammarmagic.com/4-Minutes-of-Fame-4min.htm
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Hi fellow Magi,the Fred Kapps routine,which can be seen on you tube is my favorite,closely followed by the Tommy Wonder routine with the bag and pom pom used as the final loads.Boring?not to me.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Of course not .. and why? Because both magicians are great entertainers.

I'll bet there are a hundred magicians doing tommy's routine and put their audiences to sleep.

We magicians are afraid to admit that entertainment comes almost exclusively from the magician's interesting personality paired with their creativity in the tricks they do.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 23:05, Frank Starsini wrote:
Of course not .. and why? Because both magicians are great entertainers.

I'll bet there are a hundred magicians doing tommy's routine and put their audiences to sleep.

We magicians are afraid to admit that entertainment comes almost exclusively from the magician's interesting personality paired with their creativity in the tricks they do.

You know, I don't think I've ever seen another magician do Wonder's routine. I do a routine that I say basically is his, although very different, but I've never seen anyone else do it.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-05-02 15:15, Dave V wrote:
I just got an announcement from Michael Ammar for his "4 minutes of fame" cups and balls routine. It looks like a great way to involve a spectator and get the audience rooting for him, and ultimately you.

In this short (!) routine, the spectator handles the cups and the magic happens without even him knowing how he did it. I see potential for street use, and in keeping with the title of this thread, keeps the routine short and sweet and is over before it has a chance of getting boring.

http://michaelammarmagic.com/4-Minutes-of-Fame-4min.htm

I just saw it on Lybray.com and found an earlier version of the routine on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9EvabU36go&feature=related I was certainly impressed! The loads got by me!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Honestly I like the idea of Ammar's new routine, but I'm not sure if it's there yet. By that I mean it's not where it COULD be yet.
Not to say Ammar's specific routine needed to be worked on more before releasing, but rather I am eager to see where others take the concept.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Considering that the price for Ammar's lastest cups routine doesn't exactly break the bank, I'm sure that you'll see someone bringing it to the next level, before too long. Maybe that's why he released it now, because of a need for input to bring it where he believes it can be.

Don't get me wrong, I love the routine. I just think that Ammar has a higher vision for this routine, that haven't been realized, yet. I've certainly had nagging ideals in search of a solution, when it comes to my magic.
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of ottphd
Alan
Check out Michaels's site. His new download, 4 minutes of Fame takes his cups and balls into the spectators hand. One new twist on his cups and balls!
Jim
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 23:05, Frank Starsini wrote:

I agree Frank! But I would also add there is entertaiment in the helper's reaction to the magic and also the reaction of the audience to the magic.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
rmann
View Profile
New user
Milton VT and a forum newbie with only
96 Posts

Profile of rmann
Beautiful routine by Ammar! I really enjoyed watching it. Making the spectator such an integral part of the routine and seeing their reaction was key to the entertainment. Well done.

Ray
_

Pastor Ray Mann

Champlain Valley Church of the Nazarene

St. Albans, VT (USA)

"...to Him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever." Ps 136:4
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-05-11 10:47, ottphd wrote:
Alan
Check out Michaels's site. His new download, 4 minutes of Fame takes his cups and balls into the spectators hand. One new twist on his cups and balls!
Jim

That's the routine I was referring to - already viewed two tapings of it, as I said. I wouldn't be surprised if he, or someone else, comes out with a version that takes the concept even further, before too long.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-05-12 03:27, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-11 10:47, ottphd wrote:
Alan
Jim

That's the routine I was referring to - already viewed two tapings of it, as I said. I wouldn't be surprised if he, or someone else, comes out with a version that takes the concept even further, before too long.

That's what I'm looking forward to.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Face it - The Cups and Balls are .. BORING (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.52 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL