The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Developing a Persona for the Private Reader (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9627 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2012-04-11 11:18, ddyment wrote:
I think some here do not understand the meaning of "persona" ("one's public image or personality"). Everyone has one (or more): you can't "not have" a persona, unless you're deceased.

decades ago part of "personal growth" was to have "who you are" and "who you are perceived to be" to be the same -- to "be authentic" in person, actions and relationships. This concept seems to have been lost/abandoned along with "Self-actualization" and "character development."

Why is there a need for a "false persona" in anything you do? It seems that today folks have so many different avitars and false persona that they have no sense of self at all. How do they keep it straight?

This is not to say that a "special character" as a reader may not better meet the expectations of the seeker/mark/whatever and allow them to open up more readily -- or if entertainment be the goal rather than any legitimate reading, then "being false" may be just what the market demands.

However, this should not extend to any thought that being other than authentic in life is desirable.

just "opinions" of course from one who has assisted thousands of people solve life problems by being authentic. The key to "Soothing" in any form is to deal with real issues and not dillusions.

Haing said that, I relaize that many people will pay more an enhancment of a personal fantasy than the truth; so each "reader" must decide what they are attempting to accomplish -- what do you want to give readings?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Funsway, it is good to hear a gentle voice again. And you are quite right. The persona of the reader must ber integrated. But, there is always an aspect of performance in the reading process, an extent to which the reading, like any ritual action, is a piece of theater. The performer/reader must maximize his effectiveness. For someone like myself, reserved, stone faced, and not a little cerebral, there is a need to be a little more of an extrovert than I would be if we were simply having tea in my parlor, though a cup of tea has its own value as an opportunity to "sooth", the expectations are different. Ideally, the reader needs no persona, but as a commercial enterprise, a necessary evil, some amplification of the reader's native tendency is often required.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9627 Posts

Profile of funsway
I like, "amplification of the reader's native tendency." If one joins Toastmasters to become more at ease with speaking before a crowd I do not view that is creating a false persona, but "amplification. Not sure how a Reader enhances these skills without abusing the fragile sensibilites of Seekers, though. It is too easy to say, "It's just a game" with no concern over how a Reading (good or bad) can affect a Seeker or onlooker. Being true to self at least gives one some moral grounding in life -- something to amplify.

"everyone is fitted to see, few to understand. Everybody sees what you appear to be; few
make out what you really are."
--Machiavelli

I give few Readings -- only because few Seekers are willing to bring real problems to the table, and I am too old to be amused with coaxing people through knot holes. 'course, I never charge for a Reading either -- reserving the right to stop the Soothing process and walk away the moment anything other than truth occurs.

Not very commercial. I do not judge others who take a different path, just suggest that each considers the consequences of any falsehood including false persona in anything they do in life.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
I'm quite intrigued by this whole "persona" business. Whether I'm giving a private one-to-one reading or performing a show from a stage, I'm just... me. Friendly, affable, enthusiastic me. I may be completely misunderstanding the situation, but it seems to me that the only time you would need to invent a persona is if you weren't happy with who you were in the first place. Why run if you're not being chased?

Obviously in some bizarre presentations performers quite rightly invent a character for their shows, but for more mainstream mentalism and certainly for giving readings I really don't see the need to go down that particular road. Be you. Lovely fallible human you.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I think the implication is not a "character", but being yourself, only moreso.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2012-04-11 08:08, TonyB2009 wrote:
For a mentalism show I tend to wear the purple shirt with all the frills. You know who the mentalist is, because he looks like a reject from a Meatloaf lookalike competition.
But for readings I wear a sober suit. I don't know why that is. I tried it in the purple, in the white tux, and all the variations. I just seem to fake sincerity better more conservatively dressed. My mentalism is an amplified version of myself. My readings are a toned down (and more sympathetic) version of myself.

April fools was 10 days ago...
J
xxx
Richard Webster
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Richard Webster
Interesting comments. I assume some posters didn't read the article. I didn't suggest people create a completely different persona for themselves. In fact, in the article, I gave an example where I was forced to do this on one occasion, and it didn't work. What I did suggest was that you think about the image you wish to convey to your clients. The article was written a year or so ago, shortly after I'd had a reading from a rather uncouth individual who was desperately in need of a bath and fresh clothes. He is presumably happy with this persona. If you read the article, you'll find that my persona includes good quality clothes and equipment (such as reasonably new tarot cards), and a reading room that subliminally conveys the image I want to present. The article explains why I do this. In everyday life, I'm a fairly quiet person. When I'm giving a reading, I expand my aura. I'm still "me", but I'm a slightly amplified me. My personality doesn't change. All that happens is that I'm "on".
Richard
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Very interesting, thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Developing a Persona for the Private Reader (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL