The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Lassen/Schollcraft? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Interesting comments.

Always wondering about what makes these guys so good. I've seen all of their works and all of it is good to me. I guess some of their things might be done a bit better than the others but does it really make that much of a difference? I guess it does with the way the comparisons are made. Never hear Tango put in the mix much but his TUC has probably outsold all the best stuff by all the rest here and is greatly admired I've seen. Definitely something that these others might've said, "Sure wish I had come up with that one." Smile But why not any recognition from these guys of when their competition does really well on something? I mean Schoolcraft has done some wonderful work, of course Lassen's stuff is great and he has no problem telling you just that most times. Smile Kueppers hits the mark a lot and X Belmont has a nice package of coins that really whets the coin man's palate. He won me over for just offering soft coins if you wanted them. Not many craftsman do that. And I still say that Johnson Coins are pretty good most times, maybe not custom level but definitely good enough IMHO and always at an affordable price. Heck, that's gotta count for something, especially in these tough economic times. Smile It would be a good story for someone to write on this guys, covering their best works, what's good about each one and or what's not. To me, good communication is important. I don't mind the quirkiness of such supposed artisans but at least be courteous and provide good customer service, and save all that "Let 'em eat cake" nonsense at times. People shouldn't have to tippy-toe around these guys when spending hundreds of dollars for their works and or making any such excuses for their insensibilities when they roar. Again, I think they all do great work that I have seen. Probably best to buy from the guy that gives you what you want the way you want it, and makes you feel best about spending your money with them. Interesting.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Is Schoolcrafts sets unique to him, OXF, 3CM, 3CF?
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2012-04-14 22:25, Tony Thomas wrote:

Oh boy... here we go.... Smile
:)

Tony: PM sent with background info
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Quote:
On 2012-04-14 22:56, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-14 22:25, Tony Thomas wrote:

Oh boy... here we go.... Smile
:)

Tony: PM sent with background info

Haha I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to respond!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Yikes! OK, I'm outta here! --------------------->

Jim
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks for the info. Didn't mean to start anything. Just wasnt sure if I could buy the Oxf equivalent from Lassen. Both web sites tell you so little ab the details of their products, it makes it hard to know if you are comparing apples to apples.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Lassen calls it as a joke, the OtisFX...I have one...it's awesome
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
My experience with both is that I was never able to talk or receive an email from Lassen. This happened several years ago and never tried again, I called once to Schoolcraft on a barber shell and he answered the call and I was able to buy it from him.
I did buy second hand an African dime shell and an African dime locking slippery sam shell from Lassen, I do like the shell and still have it but did not like the SS and sold it.
From the other 3 manufacturers, I only bought second hand Kueppers coins and they are ok, I contacted Tango by phone and email and I always got a pleasant reply from him, and bought several of his coins and I am very happy with all of them. And finally I contacted Johnson by phone and email and like Tango I always got a reply with the right information, I have several Johnsons coins as well and very happy with them
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Marion -

The OP's question was re: Lassen and Schoolcraft. The other gaffers seem to get plenty of love on other threads (surely you've seen the massive TUC topic).

Lassen, for example, makes a number of things not readily available elsewhere, or things that are available, but not in in silver dollars. I love his copper crowns, as well. I also like very much how the precision of much of his work allows me the flexibility to show the coins in ways I am not able to do with other's work.

On another note, I have never had to tiptoe around Lassen or Kueppers. Quite the contrary.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2012-04-13 12:21, Christopher Williams wrote:
The China Bit, is that the same thing as Chinese bit by Eddie Gibson but in Dollar size?

China Bit is originally from the Tommy Wonder socked coins routine. If you want to see a China Bit used masterfully check out this video:

http://www.antena3.com/videos-online/pro......146.html
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Chess, I was just giving my thoughts on all this, not really pointing at anyone. Perhaps you haven't had issues with them but I'm sure you have also read where people have spoken to that same "contrary" you speak of. Just think people should be nice moreso than not as to buyers and sellers. Oh and I brought up other craftsmen here because I think they are relative to the discussion. No disrespect meant to anyone as to any of it.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Jamie has been at Magic-Con all weekend and there was travel and setup time prior to that. I know he made me a set a couple of years ago and contact with him and the work to be done revolved around his presentation schedule at a convention that was going on at the time. It was no big deal and he fully communicated that to me.
I'm guessing you'll hear from him shortly after he returns from the convention and has time to sort through his e-mails. I have a couple of friends with Lassen products. Though they're nice coins, I personally find Jamie's work/products superior to Lassen's. ...But that's just my personal viewpoint. Others will tell you the opposite. Personal choice. But it's a one-man operation and Jamie is currently out of his workshop on business. Please be patient while he returns and gets back to business. The result - in service and workmanship - will be worth the wait. :o)
itlust
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of itlust
Dunno why but I smell blood here ... (if you know what I mean ...)
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2012-04-15 19:57, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Quote:
The China Bit, is that the same thing as Chinese bit by Eddie Gibson but in Dollar size?

China Bit is originally from the Tommy Wonder socked coins routine. If you want to see a China Bit used masterfully check out this video:

Wow! Like that a lot Smile

I have had contact with a coin maker mentioned in this thread who said he has a set of what I want but is also at a convention (Not Schoolcraft) so I will be getting that.

I have had both Lassen and Schoolcraft coins, I think both are work of arts, but I think Lassen just edges it for me. I know they are busy guys etc, just think they could either find half hour out of their day or get someone else to reply to emails and queries for them to maintain customer service, but I guess that comes from me being in Sales business for years. I'll probably get a little bashing for that, but it is only my opinion, even just an automatic reply set up saying it can take up to a week to reply would help
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Smile Christopher, you're not saying anything that has not been already been said. And really, you're right - it would be nice for communication to be better. But everyone decides to run their life and business how they see fit.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2012-04-16 08:54, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-15 19:57, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Quote:

Wow! Like that a lot Smile

I have had contact with a coin maker mentioned in this thread who said he has a set of what I want but is also at a convention (Not Schoolcraft) so I will be getting that.

I have had both Lassen and Schoolcraft coins, I think both are work of arts, but I think Lassen just edges it for me. I know they are busy guys etc, just think they could either find half hour out of their day or get someone else to reply to emails and queries for them to maintain customer service, but I guess that comes from me being in Sales business for years. I'll probably get a little bashing for that, but it is only my opinion, even just an automatic reply set up saying it can take up to a week to reply would help

Perhaps you might want to read this thread where the business practices of our gaff makers are discussed: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=90

Please remember, with all of the custom coin makers, they are artists and craftsmen first. Business is secondary.

Alan
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:

...I have had both Lassen and Schoolcraft coins, I think both are work of arts, but I think Lassen just edges it for me. I know they are busy guys etc, just think they could either find half hour out of their day or get someone else to reply to emails and queries for them to maintain customer service, but I guess that comes from me being in Sales business for years. I'll probably get a little bashing for that, but it is only my opinion, even just an automatic reply set up saying it can take up to a week to reply would help

Yep, that's about how I see it as well...It truly doesn't seem like brain surgery IMHO. I mean "Cool Otis" is a pretty nice website truth be told, a little better communication and resposiveness should'nt be so hard, ya'think? Smile But behind the demand for the work, such slack is allowed from these sellers and that's about how it has become an accepted standard around here as to the business part of this business. This is unique in that sketchy customer service usually doesn't continue to make you good money for long, or it least it shouldn't if it continues, becomes regular practice. If collectively people didn't stand for it so readily then it would change, usually for the better as the seller begins to feel the message in his pocketbook, artist or not. Smile Basically, you usually get what your hand calls for and in general if you keep doing what you always did, you'll keep getting what you always got, or somethin' like that. I'm just sayin'. Smile

pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Banzai, business is never secondary, unless they have another source of income and making coins is a hobby. Not sure on been Artists, for sure they are great machinist/craftsmen.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2012-04-16 11:45, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:

...I have had both Lassen and Schoolcraft coins, I think both are work of arts, but I think Lassen just edges it for me. I know they are busy guys etc, just think they could either find half hour out of their day or get someone else to reply to emails and queries for them to maintain customer service, but I guess that comes from me being in Sales business for years. I'll probably get a little bashing for that, but it is only my opinion, even just an automatic reply set up saying it can take up to a week to reply would help

Yep, that's about how I see it as well...It truly doesn't seem like brain surgery IMHO. I mean "Cool Otis" is a pretty nice website truth be told, a little better communication and resposiveness should'nt be so hard, ya'think? Smile But behind the demand for the work, such slack is allowed from these sellers and that's about how it has become an accepted standard around here as to the business part of this business. This is unique in that sketchy customer service usually doesn't continue to make you good money for long, or it least it shouldn't if it continues, becomes regular practice. If collectively people didn't stand for it so readily then it would change, usually for the better as the seller begins to feel the message in his pocketbook, artist or not. Smile Basically, you usually get what your hand calls for and in general if you keep doing what you always did, you'll keep getting what you always got, or somethin' like that. I'm just sayin'. Smile

Too true, also, the item I wanted, as I said a coin gaff maker has got back to me and so he is getting the order from me. At the end of the day it is their jobs and they need money from customers to keep themselves in business, the gaff I wanted is going to cost me $400 in total with shipping too... I contacted 5 coin makers, Lassen and Schoolcraft were 2 of them, in the time since I have had still no reply, I have had a reply from 2 others, and already agreed to order from one of those... $400 is quite a sum of money, and I don't ever care what I spend as long as I am happy with the level of customer service I get
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2012-04-16 12:40, pabloinus wrote:
Banzai, business is never secondary, unless they have another source of income and making coins is a hobby. Not sure on been Artists, for sure they are great machinist/craftsmen.

Actually, if you have ever read Todd's blog, it kind of is. He consistently charges less than he could for his work, his kindness and giveaways to young deserving magicians are legend and his focus on quality and inventiveness sometimes leads to far lower profitability than he intended, yet he continues that focus regardless.

I guess you could say that Todd is a pretty good businessman, because he has a loyal following and makes enough from his efforts to have a good life, but my point was to provide information to those who are considering buying from Todd so that they can know what to expect. Todd has written in his blog that he has tried to improve his email response and has even added a place to post complaints but he still gets very behind with the number of emails he receives. As many have said, telephone is best (sorry Europeans). Try to establish a relationship so that he knows who you are. Use his blog to communicate with him. Try to buy during runs that he is doing (much more efficient for him and speedy way for you to get items you want). If you need to complain, do so with respect.

Sorry about the description of Todd as an artist. That's probably a bit over the top. I have a bunch of his gaffs and they amaze me every time I use them and I think of them as art - but that's just me, I guess.

Regards,

Alan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Lassen/Schollcraft? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL