The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » A new tool (experimental) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
Well, I'll be patient then and in the meantime go back to trying to track down back issues of epiloque that sell for a price that doesn't require mortgaging a kidney
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
cartouche7
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of cartouche7
I have an other suggestion. If you do the prog like a game, it can be cool to turn it into a training tool. For different level of reading, you can make the card moving, or shaking, I don't know. And put entire marking system, not only one example. The "reader" will guess the value of the card and not only what the mark is.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I really thank you all for your suggestions but I think I'm gonna keep it very simple. In short:

- You select how many cards you want to play with (what I call the length of the game). From 5 to 20. More would be difficult because there would be long delays for downloading images. I'm currently working with jpg pictures, not very big in size (bytes), but very crappy once you apply a zoom on them! I think I'm gonna be back to png pictures.

- You select the type of the game. Basically, do you want to have unique cards or the possibility to have some cards appearing more than once (never 2 times in a row though)?

- Then you have to click on the card where you think the work has been done. If you're right, you go to the next card. When you have found all the marks the timer is stopped. You can go to the next card or to the previous card whenever you want. There are two zooms and 2 tips available too (type or marking and an additional comment).

The thing is to add as many cards as possible to the game, showing several types of marking. I'll do that little by little. I may also need you for some cards as I don't have a scanner.

About what I won't add
===============

I don't think it's useful to "guess" what the card indicates. The most important is to see that a marking system is going on.

I won't add a riffle test. It would be pretty difficult to code and absolutely useless with some marking systems.

It could be cool to implement a difficulty level, but based on what?

I think it's more important to have as many marked card sampling as possible than anything else.

And don't forget it's just a small game Smile.

Again, many thanks to all.
NFS
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of NFS
I have another suggestion. Before it progresses to the next card, it should display an all white card for a second so that the user can't easily see the work appear, like if it were a riffle test. Get what I mean? There should be some intermediate picture that prevents the user from being able to see the mark pop out at them when transitioning to the next card.
"A gambler without a system is as a ship without a compass."
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
294 Posts

Profile of Kingman
Another fantastic tool! Well done and thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to experimenting with it.

Thanks for the hard work that you do for the community.

Kingman
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Well, it mainly helps me keeping a good coding level as I don't code that often anymore Smile. But again, those pieces of code are more entertaining than anything else.

One day I'll probably release one or two more serious tools. Who knows?
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Just when I thought I had seen every toy imaginable, the new Eagle Eye Marked Card Detector game comes along, evidently for the guy who has everything. It’s sort of “everything you always wanted to know about detecting marked cards but were afraid to ask” or something like that.

What is missing here is there are no prizes being awarded for accomplishment. Where are the balloons, beanie hats, marked card detector awards, T-Shirts with pictures showing a playing card with the marks clearly circled, bumper stickers and so forth. How about marked card cruises for the most proficient “detectors.” Just think, you can strike fear into the hearts and minds of potential hustlers at your next poker or card game wearing your official Marked Card Detector badge or Catch’em beanie.

Who knows? This might be the next “board” game success. The possibilities are almost endless.

Oh well!!! Maybe I am just getting carried away with the excitement of it all. Smile

Should be interesting to see the final product, though.
Tony45
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Tony45
Quote:
On 2012-04-19 21:59, Cagliostro wrote:

What is missing here is there are no prizes being awarded for accomplishment. Where are the balloons, beanie hats, marked card detector awards, T-Shirts with pictures showing a playing card with the marks clearly circled, bumper stickers and so forth. How about marked card cruises for the most proficient “detectors.” Just think, you can strike fear into the hearts and minds of potential hustlers at your next poker or card game wearing your official Marked Card Detector badge or Catch’em beanie.

:) Smile Smile
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Dunno what to think about your post Cag. Maybe it's a pun I don't get?

My intentions are not pernicious. First, as mentioned earlier, I do that for practicing coding as I don't have the opportunity to code that much those days. Second, it adds some content to my website which is not evolving as fast as I would like. Last, it's mainly for fun. You don't need a "tool" to detect blockout work or cutout work (and many other marking systems).

By the pricking of my thumb I understand that, again!, this affair is gonna be as usual: starting good then leading to a controversial issue. I don't want to argue anymore, I don't have the time for that and, after all, I'm just offering free stuff! If it really annoys some of you, I'll make it for members only. Not a problem for me.
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Quote:
On 2012-04-20 06:08, AMcD wrote:
By the pricking of my thumb I understand that, again!, this affair is gonna be as usual: starting good then leading to a controversial issue. I don't want to argue anymore, I don't have the time for that and, after all, I'm just offering free stuff!

Uh oh, here comes the drama...

Geez Cag'

next time don't forget to bow:

Quote:
On 2012-04-13 12:39, Vargas wrote:
Once more, thank you for providing something great to the Café AMcD...
...I think you deserve a thank you for all the work you present here.

:cheering:

Quote:
On 2012-04-13 19:52, DavidGold wrote:
Wow you need to get an award for everything you do in this community Smile...
All in all thank you for the new tool and PLEASE keep making more posts, tools and vids I am always excited when I see the thread is from you

Quote:
On 2012-04-15 12:27, M for Magic wrote:
Wow!
AMcD,
That is an incredible bit of programming!
I am in awe of all the tools you create.
Really amazing tool and very kind of you to provide it gratis to boot!

Quote:
On 2012-04-19 08:20, Kingman wrote:
Thanks for the hard work that you do for the community.

AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Quote:
On 2012-04-18 19:32, NFS wrote:
I have another suggestion. Before it progresses to the next card, it should display an all white card for a second so that the user can't easily see the work appear, like if it were a riffle test. Get what I mean? There should be some intermediate picture that prevents the user from being able to see the mark pop out at them when transitioning to the next card.

I get you. I have added a pre-loading procedure. No card will be displayed until all the cards for a test are stored into the browser cache. Therefore there will be no delay between transitions.

Thanks for your useful suggestion.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On 2012-04-20 06:08, AMcD wrote:
Dunno what to think about your post Cag. Maybe it's a pun I don't get?

Just being facetious. Have some fun guys. Smile
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
OK, sorry for being "nasty". I really have a thin skin, don't forget that Smile.
NFS
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of NFS
Quote:
On 2012-04-20 08:51, AMcD wrote:
I get you. I have added a pre-loading procedure. No card will be displayed until all the cards for a test are stored into the browser cache. Therefore there will be no delay between transitions.

Thanks for your useful suggestion.

That's not what I meant, maybe I wasn't clear. When transitioning from one card to another, it should display a "blank" card for a second. Otherwise, it'll just look like a riffle test when the next card appears.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Nick,

I'm afraid you haven't understood how it works. Both cards are displayed together. Moving the mouse to the left or to the right unveils the genuine card or the doctored card. Besides, different backs are gonna be used, chances are good avoiding two same backs in a row.

Here's the (I think!) final layout:

I must stop here now, otherwise (I know myself by heart) I'm gonna add 12 new controls Smile.
NFS
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of NFS
Oh, I thought it was designed to continuously quiz you on identifying various marks of the selected back design. I think this would put more emphasis on it being a learning tool (my preference) and less as a game. If you decide to do this later on then I reccomend adding the transitional "blank" card.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Guys,

FYI.....I just spoke to DOC he is OK and doing well....
We all miss him on the Café Smile
Long Island,

New York
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
As you know, trying to find even simple marks can sometimes be difficult for a new marking pattern when you only look at 1 or 2 cards.

You need the "gamblers riffle test" or "going to the movies" to find many marks quickly and easily.

I feel that trying to find marks by looking at 1 or 2 cards is an exercise in the old "find the differences in the picture" games.

That was the bad news.....

The good news is that I am VERY impressed with the time, effory and work which went into the programming.

VERY COOL !

I am just not sure what the tool is good for except to teach people about different marking matterns ?

I think this software will be great to make people think they are knowledgeable...yet you still fool them with more sophisticated systems Smile

As we all know "A little knowledge is dangerous" Smile
Long Island,

New York
NFS
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of NFS
Word.

:smoke:
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
What it will be good for? Just having fun. People not in the know may also learn something.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » A new tool (experimental) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL