The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Definitive Sankey (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Three Volume Set
1500 pages
Over 400 effects
Expected release date July 2012

The only thing I've seen about it is a small blurb on Vanishing Inc's site.

Looks like someone has FINALLY gotten that magic recluse Sankey to tip some of his effects. I thought it would never happen!

Actually, even though I have the overwhelming majority of books and DVDs released by Sankey, I'll probably end up picking this up too. If it wasn't being put out by Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin I'd probably let it pass, but I think their input/insight will be valuable. And as much as Sankey's "brand" has been diluted with some duds that's he released in recent years. he still has an overwhelming wealth of amazing material -- perhaps more than anyone else of his generation -- and it's always good to reintroduce yourself to some of them.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Rumor has it that these are all gems from his "working set" that he's been "holding back!" Smile

But seriously, I'm going to get this at some point just out of respect for Sankey as a creator and a teacher. Like a lot of creative people, he doesn't always have a filter, but he's produced more diamonds and gold among the ore than most could in two lifetimes. He's a great teacher for new students, thanks to his patient and articulate approach to teaching, plus he's got enough flash up his sleeve (have you ever seen a better riffle pass, tenkai move or MCF?) to inspire folks at all levels. He's not a "Ponta" technician, but he does have a great eye for what will be impressive for normal audiences. Plus, Jay and Gladwin will no doubt supply the "filter" that guarantees a quality project.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Anyone read the interview with Sankey and the excerpts from his forthcoming book project in this month's Magic magazine? Very interesting interview. Filled in some gaps for me, anyway. Glad they asked some of the tougher questions, like "what happened with the Big A** Box of Magic, anyway?" According to the interview, Sankey refuses to rank his own effects in terms of strength and quality. They're all his "children." He says that Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin kept pushing him for some sort of system of self evaluation while writing the book, but he refused. Despite that, though, the few effects he cites as among his "go to" creations include effects that most would probably agree are among his strongest, so I'm guessing he has more awareness of relative quality than he let on. Oh, and he unapologetically admits that he hasn't performed all 1800 of his released effects.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya MaxflieldsMagic: I didn't know the issue was out yet (I wrote it and did the interview). Where did you score a copy?

And as for the books- I can tell you, they look amazing.

My best,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
My friend was one of the editors on this project. It sounds like this will include all his marketed effects and will be extremely thorough. Obviously not all his material is good, but some of his marketed effects are decent.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-24 12:17, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
I didn't know the issue was out yet (I wrote it and did the interview). Where did you score a copy?

Standard subscription delivery. Great interview and article, Jamie. You asked just the right questions, and got some interesting responses.

BTW - do you know if the four Sankey effects in the magazine are lifted verbatim from the book, or are they condensed?
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
From Vanishing Inc.

"We have received our preview copies of The Definitive Sankey from the printers and we're very proud of them. The two of us have worked for over four years on these books and it's really quite something to see them on our shelves. We'll be emailing you next week with info on how you can get your set!"
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of mayniac
When I get the money I'm an definitely buying these. Even though there are many effects that Sankey has created that I didn't like, Sankey is a magical genius and I think this looks like an extremely exciting project! With Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin steering the ship on these books I would think that they are very high quality.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
"Learn only the very best of Jay Sankey
Four years in the making: The Definitive Sankey is ready
Four years ago we (Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin) embarked on a literary journey to describe the very best of Jay Sankey’s enormous body of work. The idea was simple: if you eliminate the weak tricks from Jay’s unparalleled output of DVDs, books, tricks, and web videos, what you’re left with is a largely undiscovered treasure trove of magic—much of it without playing cards.

What we didn't anticipate is that the project would take nearly four years of constant work to complete. This project is the largest, most comprehensive collection of one person's magic ever released at one time. And the material is so, so, so good.

Do you like tricks with borrowed bills? There are over THIRTY effects with borrowed bills. Mentalism? A whole chapter devoted to the subject. What about impromptu card magic? Over SEVENTY such effects.

If you were to buy all of Jay's books and releases separately, the total would exceed $6000. Finally, you can own the best of the best—the well-known Sankey classics, the updated handlings on your favorite effects, and hundreds of amazing miracles you have never heard of...all in one collection, for just 150 dollars.

When you buy the books through Vanishing Inc. Magic, every trilogy comes with a feature-length DVD performing and teaching what was voted by editors as the "best" of The Definitive Sankey. Three hardbound volumes and a DVD ... all for 150 dollars (or 60 dollars per book separately).

Each book is hardbound, fully-indexed, and printed on treated paper in gorgeous two-color rendering. You will find the best of all his material, including the hard-to-find books, out-of-print videos, and DVDs. Even his theory masterpiece, Beyond Secrets, is included.

Thousands of crisp photographs were taken to make learning Sankey's magic as informative and easy as possible.

Deluxe edition: a beautiful, collectable set
For the collectors, we have an extremely limited supply of Collector's Edition volumes. For just $250 dollars, you get special edition volumes in sleek black leatherette, plus a gorgeous slipcase, plus TWO feature-length DVDs of Jay performing the best of the best. Finally, every deluxe edition is signed by Jay, Josh and Andi and contains an original page from one of Jay's notebooks. "
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
The only thing I have to decide is normal edition or collectors edition....hmmmm.....
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Lloyd Barnes
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of Lloyd Barnes
This is one of the only things I've been proper excited about in the past year or two. TOO much crap filling the market these days, about time we had a some real quality. Now, where's my *** piggy bank!?

Lloyd

P.s. Excellent work everyone over at Vanishing Inc.!
Billybonkers
View Profile
Loyal user
Diamond Bar L.A
251 Posts

Profile of Billybonkers
Very very excited about this, although I think my wallet can only manage the normal edition.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Uk stockist??
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I'll definitely be picking this up. It's a no brainer.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Ordered.
Next day fedex is $15 on the order?
All shipping options are the same price.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Nevermind, they emailed me, said it was a site error.
Burf
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide, South Australia
140 Posts

Profile of Burf
Have to agree about some of Sankeys latest stuff being duds, but also have to admit he has a lot of gems amongst the volumes of stuff he has produced. I think these books will definitely be an addition to my personal library of magic books.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Are the publishers offering a complete list of what is in each book? That would be much more useful than the rather vague descriptions in their advertisement.

Have I simply missed such a list on their site somewhere?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
My order for collector's edition is in. Looks like a great project
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Definitive Sankey (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL