The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Definitive Sankey (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 12:36, emyers99 wrote:
Wow. That is surprising. That along with Back in Time and Fan Mail (greatest use of bill switch ever created) make up my top three sankey effects.

Those two are in the books, thankfully Smile
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5961 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 14:09, Brandon Johnson wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 12:09, Erdnase27 wrote:
Slowmotion coins isn't in the book it seems? That is my favorite Sankey trick!

Hopefully it will be on the dvd. I'm curious what effects will be on the dvd, from what I understand its some of his best effects taken from his previous dvds.
My understanding was that the DVDs would be made up of the tricks that are in the books.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3007 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Went ahead and ordered the deluxe edition - don't usually do that, but this promises to be a goldmine legacy of one of magic's most creative inventors. So what's an extra $100 for a lifetime resource and a piece of history?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Brandon Johnson
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Brandon Johnson
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 23:18, motown wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 14:09, Brandon Johnson wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 12:09, Erdnase27 wrote:
Slowmotion coins isn't in the book it seems? That is my favorite Sankey trick!

Hopefully it will be on the dvd. I'm curious what effects will be on the dvd, from what I understand its some of his best effects taken from his previous dvds.
My understanding was that the DVDs would be made up of the tricks that are in the books.

You may be correct, I'm not sure. For some reason I assumed that the effects on the DVDs would be things not found within the books. Looking back I couldn't find any info to support the idea that the effects on the DVDs where different than those in the books so you are probably right.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Sooo , slowmotion coins isn't in the book nor the DVD? I always thought (and more people with me) that that's one of the best Sankey effects! Thankfully, there are plenty more great routines to perform! I can't wait to receive them !
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 18:57, Phil J. wrote:
What has killed this for me is the postage. $77 to have it sent to the UK... but I only live about 15 miles from Andi Gladwin.

I would say: PM or mail Andi and tell him you would love to have a copy of the books. Maybe he has some for you to pick up?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5961 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2012-07-22 06:58, Erdnase27 wrote:
Sooo , slowmotion coins isn't in the book nor the DVD? I always thought (and more people with me) that that's one of the best Sankey effects! Thankfully, there are plenty more great routines to perform! I can't wait to receive them !
Dose the price of magic made in the US, but sold in a UK/Euro magic shop go up in price because of the VAT?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2699 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Sometimes from release to release an effect will end up with a different name. Possibly Slowmotion Coins will be in the book. Where is it
published elsewhere?
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Front Row Sankey Smile
On another DVD there was another version of the routine, but then with an openly exposure of the wristwatch vanish? Maybe that one is in the book?
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2012-07-22 10:52, motown wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-22 06:58, Erdnase27 wrote:
Dose the price of magic made in the US, but sold in a UK/Euro magic shop go up in price because of the VAT?

Shipping costs most of the time.
Stromberg
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Stromberg
Received the promo email from Vanishing today, looks really great this.

As for UK/Europe shipping it really depends on how many copies the magic shop orders, because if they can get the shipping costs down, and perhaps get a rebate for volume, then their total prize can be competitive to a ship-from-US-with-shippping cost.

I'm new to the magic world, but this does seem like a no brainer, doesn't it? My advantage is that I don't have anything old by Sankey in my dungeon... Smile
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2012-07-22 10:52, motown wrote:

All magic dealers in the UK have to charge VAT (currently 20%) to customers within Europe. There is no VAT on books, though, so magic books are free of VAT. But books that come with a DVD are NOT officially excluded from VAT, in the same way that there is VAT on ebooks but not printed books.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
What has killed this for me is the postage. $77 to have it sent to the UK... but I only live about 15 miles from Andi Gladwin.

Hello! I'm not sure which Phil you are, and whether we know each other! But remember that you're talking about a set of books that are almost certainly the biggest magic books to be released at any one time. As those who have received them already will testify; they're massive! We don't make a profit from shipping (in the case of the Sankey books, we subsidise the shipping), so the costs are simply because the books are so big.

We print and store our books in the USA (California), so your books aren't being shipped fifteen miles, but almost four thousand miles! In fact, I only have one set at my house: my personal set ... and I'm holding onto that set very tightly!

Best

--Andi
Stromberg
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Stromberg
Put order in, although it's only preorder I really look forward to get this in my hand ... so sweet!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3963 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I ordered the deluxe set literally 5 minutes after the initial email went out and mine still haven't shipped. Frustrating....even though I've already got a ton of sankey material on dvd.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5961 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 08:51, AndiGladwin wrote:
Quote:

Hello! I'm not sure which Phil you are, and whether we know each other! But remember that you're talking about a set of books that are almost certainly the biggest magic books to be released at any one time. As those who have received them already will testify; they're massive! We don't make a profit from shipping (in the case of the Sankey books, we subsidise the shipping), so the costs are simply because the books are so big.

We print and store our books in the USA (California), so your books aren't being shipped fifteen miles, but almost four thousand miles! In fact, I only have one set at my house: my personal set ... and I'm holding onto that set very tightly!

Best

--Andi
Perhaps these books will be sold by some UK dealers, the same way they're being sold by other dealers in the US and he can avoid the shipping costs.

Even a flat rate postal box that can handle upto 20LBS costs $61 to the UK.
– Karl Germain
durgy
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto
398 Posts

Profile of durgy
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 08:54, link8822 wrote:
That's awesome, Munseys. I'm curious what the books say about tricks that involve gimmicks, like In a flash, holy moly, etc. Does it have methods for making the gimmicks or are some of the gimmicks included? (I'm sure others are wondering too)

I'm wondering this too.
-Durgy
http://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
link8822
View Profile
New user
Central Jersey, NJ
66 Posts

Profile of link8822
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 21:38, Chris Aguilar wrote:
Are the publishers offering a complete list of what is in each book? That would be much more useful than the rather vague descriptions in their advertisement.

Have I simply missed such a list on their site somewhere?

A list of all the tricks are available in the free "Sankey Sampler' pdf from VanishingInc. It's got a table of contents for all 3 volumes.
Munseys_Magic
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Munseys_Magic
Link8822 and Durgy,

I am very sorry for the delay in my reply. I simple missed Link8822's question. For the sorts of Sankey effects that require a gimmick that can't be made at home, the authors indicate where the gimmicks can be purchased (i.e. through Sankey himself or a local magic dealer). To be clear, the VAST majority of the effects in this book do NOT require gimmicks that must be pruchased.

Best Wishes
Jim Munsey
Munsey's Magic
http://www.MunseysMagic.com
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3963 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Anyone get their deluxe set yet?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Definitive Sankey (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL