The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Idiot Trying To Sell Teller's "Shadows" Secret (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3352 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I am a big fan of Penn and Teller. I don't find anything they do harmful to magic. They have been excellent exponents of the art in my opinion, and are the ONLY magicians around today that many people will watch.

Exposure is always around when magic becomes too popular. It is part of the cycle.

Sometimes it is self-referential to the art and enlarges the envelope.

When the method is more entertaining than the effect, one should perform the method.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Unless you are a surgeon...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
372 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 19:33, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Yeah, me too! That is cool, critter. I would suggest you play the rest of the thought, rather than a sound bite that doesn't give the full picture. As to P&T, no argument, they are great performers. But is that all they need to do to get your admiration? I won't bore you with myriad comparisons of how bad that can be.

What I want to know is this:

1. Is ANYTHING Penn and Teller do to make money exposure?
2. If NO then stop.
3. If YES do you ENDORSE exposure?
4. If NO then stop.
5. If YES then stop.

Simple...

I agree with you 100%. But I've learned that showing P&T to be just as bad as the Masked Magician is a futile chore. I liken it trying to debate a Christian on the existence of god. The P&T Groupies are going believe what they want and no amount of persuasion will change their mind. I personally wouldn't cross the street to see a Penn and Tell performance.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1885 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Back in the briar patch are we? We can cry foul all we want, it won't change much, unless we like the sound of our voice. Thankfully, people have short memories. I am with Danny on this, there is WAY to much selective accusations. Just to make things clear, I have exposed, things to a select few when I was younger and it wasn't worth it because then it is no longer "magic". Then again, I do a variation of Pop's routine of the silk and egg, and it works wonderfully.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Quote:

I agree with you 100%. But I've learned that showing P&T to be just as bad as the Masked Magician is a futile chore. I liken it trying to debate a Christian on the existence of god. The P&T Groupies are going believe what they want and no amount of persuasion will change their mind. I personally wouldn't cross the street to see a Penn and Tell performance.

That's to bad because Penn and Tellers show is one of the best Magic shows in Vegas!

And think about it...what magic tricks did they really expose?
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Sheesh kebab... I've shown their [P&T's] cups & balls routine to friends, on YouTube.. The universal response has been "I still have no idea..."

It's fine that some magicians won't "cross the street" to see P&T. After all, they aren't performing at parochial magic clubs, demoing ''magician foolers" for their "magic buddies".

I could post a link to Teller's miser's dream. But that would make me a groupie, apparently. Members of the public leave P&T's shows with a sense of wonder; go figure.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-09-25 07:39, tomsk192 wrote:
Sheesh kebab... I've shown their [P&T's] cups & balls routine to friends, on YouTube.. The universal response has been "I still have no idea..."

It's fine that some magicians won't "cross the street" to see P&T. After all, they aren't performing at parochial magic clubs, demoing ''magician foolers" for their "magic buddies".

I could post a link to Teller's miser's dream. But that would make me a groupie, apparently. Members of the public leave P&T's shows with a sense of wonder; go figure.

Anyone who could watch P&T's Cups & Balls and "still have no idea" is brain dead...
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Quote:

Anyone who could watch P&T's Cups & Balls and "still have no idea" is brain dead...

I quess I was sitting in an audience of Brain dead people when I saw Penn & Teller fool them with their Cups & Balls routine.
I think most magicians expose more in their show by being nervous, by their lack of practice & researsal, by performing the trick they got in the mail that day or by using badly build rip-off illusions than what P & T 'expose' in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8osRaFTtgHo
And then I am not talking about the great deal of exposing magicians do daily on Facebook, youtube etc. they seem to forget that these places are public!!!

Penn & Teller show in Las Vegas is one of the most amazing shows you could see, they fool their audience badly each night, just saying...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27073 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Any record of this guy before he was supposedly offering the item in question?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

To the post above the above:

If you wish to respond to my post, please stay on target.

1. I was not talking about other "cheesy" magicians who are inept and expose due to lack of practice or rehearsal.
2. I was not talking about other "cheesy" magicians who expose because they are nervous.
3. I was not talking about performing a trick you just got "in the mail that day" or that was a "badly build (sp) rip-off (sic) illusions".
4. I was not talking about facebook "magicians" youtube, or the like.

I said: "Anyone who could watch P&T's Cups & Balls and "still have no idea" is brain dead..."

I stand by that, and nothing you have said refutes it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27073 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-09-27 20:42, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
To the post above the above:

invoking the magic words habeas corpus - where's the malefactor?

who's the distractor?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27073 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-10 17:05, critter wrote:
Submitted for consideration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSvcqeOrDw0

rules can be broken in any art. Rules are guides, like lines on a map.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
372 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 06:59, tristanmagic wrote:

That's to bad because Penn and Tellers show is one of the best Magic shows in Vegas!

Guess you missed their special on TV a few years back called "Off the Deep End". Amoung the tricks they exposed was Metamorphosis. This was at the time when Metamorphosis was the signature effect of the Pendragons, and several other Illusionists.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Wanted to share what I found while reading "The Old and New Magic" by H.R. Evans (1906) pg 27 & 27.

About 1750, Pinetti devised and performed "Theophrastus Paracelsus" in which "a dove was fastened, by means of two ribbons about its neck, to two opposite columns. On the instant a picture of the dove, or even the shadow of the suspended bird, was pierced by a sword, the dove itself was beheaded, although it had not been disturbed, and the severed and still bleeding head, and the rest of the body, fell separately to the ground............This experiment recalls an old superstition , namely, that evil can be wrought upon a person by injury to a picture of him, accompanied by a spoken incantation. It is the so called "Picture charm".

Please do not confuse this as trying to say Teller copied Pinetti. I do not know if Teller knows about Theophrastus Paracelsus. I am simply sharing I came across, whilest studying an e-tome of magical history.

Yr Obt Svt
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Interesting bit of history, and welcome to the forums!

Jim
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Thank you Jim, appreciate it.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
magicshow
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of magicshow
There is a new social networking site at MagicianNetwork.com
It's cool because you also can buy and sell magic ther as well and post you convention or club news too.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 15:33, Bill wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 06:59, tristanmagic wrote:

Guess you missed their special on TV a few years back called "Off the Deep End". Amoung the tricks they exposed was Metamorphosis. This was at the time when Metamorphosis was the signature effect of the Pendragons, and several other Illusionists.

They didn't expose metamorphosis and certainly not the Pendragons version!
Instead they exposed a variation of their own using a cage and a different method.
This version is only good for underwater shows as the system they use will not work because you need to dive in & out of the cage and I don't know of many magicians that perform underwater ;-)

However they did expose a version the Million dollar mystery which they shouldn't have so it's Not All Sunshine and Roses.
Luckily for us the lay people will not connect the dots with a stage version of the M.D.M.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27073 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-04-12 16:05, stempleton wrote:
Just saw this on TMZ...hope this jerk is stopped before it leaks...

Any luck tracking down that guy?
Frankie
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
56 Posts

Profile of Frankie
His last video-posting on his (if it is really him) YouTube channel was made only 2 weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gerarreke
“Magic is the only honest profession. A magician promises to deceive you and he does.”
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Idiot Trying To Sell Teller's "Shadows" Secret (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL