The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mem deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
I personally have been using "Quicker Stack" by Doug Dyment but recently came across a great memory book by Dominic Obriwn and have started to work on memorizing a shuffled deck of cards in impromptu fashion. Obrien claims to do this is under 30 seconds. He also was 8 time world memory champion.

I think an impromptu memorized deck would be a really great weapon.

Comments?

Dave
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
If the effect is of primary importance, then it doesn't matter whether you are memorizing a truly shuffled deck or just appear to do it. There is nothing world memory champ Dominic O'Brien could do that I couldn't simulate. The key point is that from the audience's perspective, there is no difference in our respective demonstrations.

Given the arsenal of deceptions at our disposal I have no trouble getting into my memdeck work beginning with a shuffled deck. In fact, that's how I prefer to begin--with a spectator shuffled deck.

So, at least for me, there is no benefit to spending the time required to genuinely memorize a deck in 30 seconds when the net effect on the audience would be identical to what I do now.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I fully agree with Steven, and would add that 30 seconds of memory work, however accomplished, is not going to get you to the "second nature" level of familiarity with a stack that is necessary for exemplary memorized deck work.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Great comments by both of you and I do actually agree with what you both said. I was merely offering up the idea for discussion.

Quicker stack is superb btw Mr. Dyment:)

Dave
mindexplorer
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mindexplorer
When you memorize a pack like that, it looks like that is what you did. It is a nice demonstration of memory work but when you call them back, it still looks like you are remembering the order. Many great memorized deck tricks also rely on the assumption that the audience is not aware that you have memorized the deck. It would also make your false shuffles rather transparent. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mem deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL