The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Blade Box Plans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1679 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
When we were playing the Indiana State, JB was working the box with Lady Diana. There were thirty or forty bikers and OL's in the top. they liked the show and when we got to the box they all got in front of the ding stage. Well they didn't turn, and nobody else wanted to push through them. Finally one huge guy came up the steps and dropped his quarter. He went behind the box and looked at it from every angle for about a minute in complete silence.
Then he let out a tremendous laugh, then, came to the edge of the, stage pointed to the club members and said "every one of you get out a quarter and come look at this"
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Quote:
On 2012-04-22 21:34, ringmaster wrote:
When we were playing the Indiana State, JB was working the box with Lady Diana. There were thirty or forty bikers and OL's in the top. they liked the show and when we got to the box they all got in front of the ding stage. Well they didn't turn, and nobody else wanted to push through them. Finally one huge guy came up the steps and dropped his quarter. He went behind the box and looked at it from every angle for about a minute in complete silence.
Then he let out a tremendous laugh, then, came to the edge of the, stage pointed to the club members and said "every one of you get out a quarter and come look at this"

If your only getting a 1/4...You A. don't have a very enticing Broad and/or B.a Bad delivery of a very unconvincing pitch.. I would suggest finding a enticing Broad and studying Todd Robbins, John Strong , Bobby Reynolds,Tyler Fyre or C.M Christ for a better Pitch...My pitch is mute cause I generally rely heavily on the enticing Broad..So much so...that even a Chimp could turn the Tip...Best of Luck and Happy Blade Boxing...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1679 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
That was in 1984.We turned everybody+around 50 mice at a buck and Otis Jordan did OK with his pictures. No blow off.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Working the NJ State fair for Col.Jerry Lipko in the early 60's. my wife to be and I did the blade box on points (25) ... Even at a dime a peek we still averaged $12-15. a day...My pitch was pretty good ( learned from Milt Robbins) BUT I had a very enticing girl...so enticing ...I married her...
joe faro
View Profile
Regular user
Salida Colorado
156 Posts

Profile of joe faro
In the book Ballyhoo ? there is a photo of a upright blade box. Any one sell plans for this kind of box?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
The upright blade box is the brain child of C. M. Christ, Ward Hall's partner. He didn't build it from plans, so the answer would be no. There have been what is known as a squat blade box. It's an adaptation of the Thayer sword box illusion with an open top and back that allows people to walk around the back of the box and see how it is done. It's a more compact illusion. It is included in the Kaufman reprint of John Northern Hilliard's Greater Magic and Mickey Hades probably has the plans for it.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
On one tour, Penn & Teller did the barrel and canes version as an intermission piece. I think Penn was in the barrel.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-05-08 17:32, Harley Newman wrote:
On one tour, Penn & Teller did the barrel and canes version as an intermission piece. I think Penn was in the barrel.

That's something I'd have liked to have seen.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2012-05-08 17:32, Harley Newman wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder who gave them the idea to do that. Oh, wait a minute, I remember...it was me. They were doing the Himber Barrel illusion in the show (a variation on that Thayer Sword Box illusion.) They also had Mofo the Psychic Gorilla in the show and did a serial number revelation on a bill randomly selected from several dozen collected from the audience. The rest of the bills were donated to the upkeep of Mofo. I told Penn that it hurt me so see so many people wanting to give him money, but that he only collected a couple of dozen bills. I told him that he should get back into the darn barrel and ding the audience during intermission. He did and donated the proceed to JREF.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Nice.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-08 14:37, Todd Robbins wrote:
The upright blade box is the brain child of C. M. Christ, Ward Hall's partner. He didn't build it from plans, so the answer would be no.

Dick Johnson collaborated on it also, and Mel-Ray Silverlake if I remember right built it...and I believe John Strong Bought it last year...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
On 2012-05-08 20:05, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Quote:

Dick Johnson collaborated on it also, and Mel-Ray Silverlake if I remember right built it...and I believe John Strong Bought it last year...

Sounds like an old time " Barn Raising "
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

I can't remember what year they built it, But if memory serves me Roy Huston probably threw his 2 cents in also...Its amazing I even have this much Info since eveytime I was over there that winter I ask what you Guys workin on? only to hear "Oh Nothing"... it was classified as Top-Secret...
Evel Knievel

Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I dug out my blade box today. I haven't used it in many, many years. How in the hell does it work again? There ins't any room in there for a girl.... I think I'm missing something. Or maybe I have too much?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4424 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-04-22 21:34, ringmaster wrote:
When we were playing the Indiana State, JB was working the box with Lady Diana.

He went on to say in 1984.......

So it really was Lady Diana then...... Surely a gold sovereign ago would have been more appropriate a charge?

Dave
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
She's a different Diana, Dave.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I posted that jokingly but then realized it wasn't a pun or down right snarky enough, so none of you knew. My wife fit in the box just fine but it's really a fine illusion. When you work with it for a while you forget how impressive it is. Then I put it away for a while and fell in love with it all over again. Just have to remember what to do with that one skinny blade...
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4424 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-08-08 17:20, Harley Newman wrote:
She's a different Diana, Dave.

Yep figured it would be but you never know what really happened to her ...... oh so many conspiracy theories and mysteries.
The main mystery I think needs answering is what they hell would anyone dump Diana for Camilla?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Blade Box Plans (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL