The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Did You Know This? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2593 Posts

Profile of John Long
I just learned this today, in the library, ahhh, alright, in the kid's section.

American money is (ferro-) magnetic - American dollars are attracted to a magnet.

To see this, I folded one end of a bill, making an "L" shape; held one section flat on a table, then I brought a stack 4 rare earth magnets close - and the free end of the bill moved!

Apparently, American bills have some metallic iron particles in them. I don't know why.

The effect is small enough that its hard to imagine this being of much use in a magic effect, but maybe someone has some ideas.

John
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1788 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Very interesting, John! Thanks for sharing. Will have to fool around with this ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5820 Posts

Profile of motown
Never knew that. Good to know.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
Maybe its the ink in the bill . Check out item C on this page. http://www.accubanker.com/docs/verify_en.pdf
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
VERY interesting.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1534 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2012-04-17 13:15, John Long wrote:
I just learned this today, in the library, ahhh, alright, in the kid's section.

American money is (ferro-) magnetic - American dollars are attracted to a magnet.

To see this, I folded one end of a bill, making an "L" shape; held one section flat on a table, then I brought a stack 4 rare earth magnets close - and the free end of the bill moved!

Apparently, American bills have some metallic iron particles in them. I don't know why.

The effect is small enough that its hard to imagine this being of much use in a magic effect, but maybe someone has some ideas.

John

Cool!
I just tried it with a $20 & a neo magnet. It only works along the bottom part of the bill.
You're right . There's not much there to use in an effect.
Ihor
Ihor
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1050 Posts

Profile of NFW
How odd -does any body know why they have a metal content??
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1050 Posts

Profile of NFW
Thanks Ralph, very interesting
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Did You Know This? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL