The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » WINGS by Matt Mello & Paul Harris Presents (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Keith,

If you're good with arts and crafts, you could make your own in Rider back, but they're a pain to make perfect. The reason we used Mandolins is because the wings are larger and easier to see, and the TA cards are only being printed in Mandolin. You could also just use your Mandolin Wings gimmick with a normal Rider back deck. Laymen won't notice such small differences.

Matt
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
608 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
I just got my wings effect today. And after watching the dvd and doing it fora few people, I have to say this effect is AWESOME! It is all self contained and very easy to do! I highly recommened this effect to anyone! The gimmick seems to be durable and will a long time. I hope they offer a refill pack just for the gimmick. As said above you could make you own if you like.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Penguin has WINGS in stock!!!!

In Red back:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14349

Or Blue:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14350

You even get a full regular deck of cards, which is a nice touch!
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
748 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
I'm looking forward to picking this up.

Question: Are there any limitations as to how close you can hold the gimmick to the spectator(s) when performing this effect? Do you need to stand a few feet away to prevent them from seeing anything strange with the card?
Keith Yeung
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Keith Yeung
Thanks for the reply Matt

Looks like I'm in for this one! Hopefully laymen don't notice the bonus effect: "shrinking wings" Smile
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
608 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
The effect is done at a arms lenth from the spectators. So far I have not had any problems with them being susicious about the card.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2012-05-16 05:22, Keith Yeung wrote:
Thanks for the reply Matt

Looks like I'm in for this one! Hopefully laymen don't notice the bonus effect: "shrinking wings" Smile

Seriously? Is there a bonus effect by that name? Tell me more.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
magicology
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of magicology
Hey Keith & Daffy,
I slip a Wings gimmick right in with a normal deck, even though I prefer mandolins now. I am bias Smile

Fun fact:
On the DVD performance footage there is a family that Matt performs for. They were using a blue bicycle deck and playing Go Fish when we approached them. All worked out perfect.. The flapping happened with their deck!!

Also, watch the little boy's bummed out face when his older sister steps in front of him to pick a card. He ends up happy, but the look on his face is priceless.

Sisters...

~Josh
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
Inches away from clicking the 'Purchase' button on this one....
Posting ever so slightly.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Mine should be here any day. VERY excited about this!
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2012-05-23 01:16, Zombie Magic wrote:
Mine should be here any day. VERY excited about this!

Looking forward to your review.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
This just got a severe 'kicking' on the WPR.
I have to admit I didn't like the look of this when the demo was first released - each to their own.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 12:05, NFW wrote:
This just got a severe 'kicking' on the WPR.
I have to admit I didn't like the look of this when the demo was first released - each to their own.

Interesting, so far this has good reviews. I don't put much faith in WPR. They have given bad reviews before which contradicted positive reviews here at the Café.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Think the problem is it looks quite obvious what you are doing to make the wings move.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
One of the Wizard team also said Chad Longs 'Flash" looked like a toy and he wouldn't use it. David Williamson uses it and said 'Chad Long has made the color changing knives relevant again".

They didn't demo it in a routine, just held the card up and panned it. Their choice/opinion. They gave rave reviews to products magicians hated and sold or threw in the drawer. They've also trashed products that magicians love ( Robert Smith's Psypher, etc. ).

I've been using Wings the past few days and what you don't do is hold up the card up and have them stare at the animation. It's like floating a bill: You wouldn't leave it suspended just hanging in the air. After the surprise/amazement, they start to try and figure it out.

The wings flapping looks so surreal, they are amazed by it. It's a lead in to Twilight Angels. The wings start to flap, meaning it's going to take off. It lands right next to the other angel. That card is signed by them ( do it for couples or women ) and they get to keep it.

If you have it, try it out in a routine on two strangers in the mall/park.

Juts my opinion.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I think WPR was right on.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I saw it up close at IMX and thought it looked great and look forward to using it.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Interesting how an effect can get such different responses.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I performed this again today. She signed her name and her boyfriends ( he wasn't there ). The wings flapped and she gave one of those open mouth, sucking in air-surprise sounds. Finished with Twilight Angels and she said "oh my God, can I keep this?"

If you bought this, no matter if YOU think the gaff is obvious, just go and perform it for someone. Don't take the card and hold it out and say "look at this". Do the routine. Don't sell it before trying it. I've done that and ended up re-buying it after seeing someone perform it lol.
Bardo
View Profile
New user
England
45 Posts

Profile of Bardo
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 19:21, MR Effecto wrote:
I think WPR was right on.

+1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » WINGS by Matt Mello & Paul Harris Presents (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL