The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Elementary Schools (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
I got a few questions:

With such a wide range of kids, from Grade 1 to Grade 8, how do you go about finding and choosing a trick to perform?
If the show is divided into two parts - for younger and older audiences, it makes better sense as to what to do.

But, what about when everyone is watching at the same time?
How do you focus your tricks? If you do little kids stuff, that will bore the older kids. And if you do bigger stuff, it wont be as entertaining for the little ones.
-------------------
High Schools and College/University shows are easier to make money. But for elementary schools, having the option to sell tickets isn't great because it seems as though people wont be buying tickets to see a magic show, during school hours. Are schools open to paying a entertainer to perform for the school by just giving them money? - The magic show is pure entertainment. No messages given.
-------------------
I am planning on building an illusion to perform for High Schools & Colleges/Universities. But, would doing the 'Wakeling Sawing' be a wise idea to perform in an elementary school? Obviously changing the patter so it suits younger audiences - So, its not so serious, but funny or just mystifying?
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Perhaps you need a better understanding of the school market before worrying about tricks. Seems some of your perceptions may be a bit off.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
They are a bit off.

The school will be paying you, no 'ticket' system, and most likely you will be asked to perform 2 shows for two different groups of kids. K-2 in one show, and 3-5 in another. There are very few things for which a school will be willing to go through the headache of herding and cramming ALL grades into the auditourium. These mass-shows will usually need to have a theme of some sort---reading, anti-bullying, safety, etc.

The other option, is that one of the teachers will hire you on the school's budget & approval or perhaps on her own budget (Tax write-off) but still with the school's approval. This is usually done as a treat / reward for the kids in her class, but you could still use a theme.

Do.....Not....Do....A....Sawing....Trick....At....An.....Elementary....School.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I would suggest that you pursue one type of show for now and focus only on that. To pursue other markets before you have a handle on one is only going to take time away from successfully going after one market. It will take a lot of work to put a show together and get bookings with even one market. Once you do though, you will find there are quite a few opportunities to get bookings in that one market if your show is exceptional. The reason for this is because your customers will often be networked together and will share with others how impressed they were with your show. They will even provide you with leads and make the necessary calls for you.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
First off elementary schools are grades 1-5 middle school is 6,7,8
I have performed in over a thousand elementary schools and almost 100 middle schools
I prefer to have all the kids in one group at one time
as for performing for them and keeping the older kids entertained while focusing a trick on the younger ones - it comes down to practice and presentation. it is attainable you just have to find the right tricks and presentations to make it work.

as others have stated you seem to be all over the place with you questions and I would highly recommend picking one group to focus on and go from there.

you mention that you can make money easier in college groups then go for that if that is more you level.
performing for kids is NOT the same as performing for HS or college age groups!

below is a post I made in the tricky biz section and may be of some help in your quest

when I first started in the school market Which I mean to be day time school assembly shows NOT evening family fun nights.
I decided to develop a program that was NOT being pushed by others at the time. I tried to create a program that was unique and would interest the schools I wanted to perform in.

1 decided the grade level I wanted to perform for
2 content of the program
3 became an expert on the content needed to share with the kids
4 script the program decide the tricks and illusions and all the movements
5 practice practice practice
6 practice some more
7 develop advertising directed to the market or school level I wanted
8 worked the heck out the show always improving it

I ended up performing this particular show in over 500 school over 3 years

I retired the show as I started getting into bigger illusion shows.

however recently I started working on a NEW assembly show and rolled it out this past year, no real advertising but getting some exposure and working out the details. I have presented it in 14 schools which now gives me some great feed back and quotes and endorsements and still the phone rings with more schools hearing about the show and wanted to book me.

now in full fledged advertising for next year. (((update))) (over a dozen schools have contacted me for end of year school assemblies for this show yet I never contacted them. they heard about it from other schools. - point is when you do the work and have a great show schools will talk to each other.)

the point I am making is that there is so much more to doing a successful school show then just saying I can tell them not to smoke or drink and do a few tricks. schools as mindpro has mentioned are becoming much more picky about who they let in. being an expert or having some great credentials on the subject you are presenting will go along way with the schools

so if you are wanting to present school assembly shows pick a topic become and expert and develop a spectacular show.

good luck

sam

on a final note performing plain magic shows in schools during the day do happen I have a few each year such as a reward for reading X number of books but in reality if you want to perform in a school during the day you really MUST have a quality educational show to present.
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I fully agree with the advice shared above. In the school market, you've GOT to have a great show - with plenty of educational substance - and you HAVE to be an expert on the subject.

Sadly, there are a number of magicians out there masquerading as school show "edu-tainers", who do not deliver the goods. Their mediocrity misleads schools into thinking ALL magicians have poor shows with no substance ... thus making it harder for genuine school show entertainers to book their programs.

If you're serious about this, pick a topic that's dear to your heart. Something important which you can convey to the kids with sincerity. Then research, research, and research some more on the subject, until you fully understand what it's all about. Next, make a list of three or four key points on your chosen theme which you will share with the students. Then adapt each of your tricks, and modify the scripts, so that those educational messages can be easily grasped and remembered. Each message, combined with the trick, has to have a BIG impact so that it inspires and motivates the kids to understand and take action. There's a real art to this ... the messages should be subtle but strong ... and you should never come across as "preachy."

When you've perfected enough tricks on this chosen subject, weave them together into a sensational show which is colorful, exciting, magical, and memorable. Above all, remember that if you're doing an educational program, it's not about you ... it's about relaying an important message to the kids ... and hopefully affecting their lives in a positive way.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Good advice, but not something I want to tackle on doing.

I've performed for charity shows before in elementary schools... Which here elementary schools are from S.K./J.K. to Grade 8. No middle schools. Its all in one.

I prefer working with older audiences, so I thought I might go back and perform for elementary schools again, but now I don't think its worth wild getting a whole new show for younger audiences when my adult version or older kids version is already costing a hefty price.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Elementary Schools (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL