The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Secrets Issue 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
That hurts, guys. You know how much I value your opinions.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
FrenchDrop, you're missing out. For the price, this is a heck of a deal, so far. Your world weary, jaded outlook is understandable (we've all been burned...), but it also isn't doing you any favors in this case.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1138 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2012-05-13 21:39, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-13 21:26, simcoscor wrote:
Is there a Real Secret Blog? Where is it and how can I (as a new member) have an access?
Thanks,
Simon

There is not a blog. They do offer notes (in a blog format) on the individual effects. There's a notes link on the main page which gets cleared out once a new effect is rolled out. If you're a brand new member you'll have no use (and possibly no access to those notes). Once you get your first effect then start checking the notes section with your member ID number.

Thanks for your answer Magicsquared! I received my RS #2, but still unable to access to any new "notes" on the site...
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 21:32, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
FrenchDrop, you're missing out. For the price, this is a heck of a deal, so far. Your world weary, jaded outlook is understandable (we've all been burned...), but it also isn't doing you any favors in this case.

Thanks. It's not really a world-weary, jaded outlook, though. I know what you mean when you say that would be understandable, but it's really just that I don't feel a need for a surprise-trick-a-month kind of deal. Not at the moment, anyway. I do have my trepidations about the fact that the people behind Real Magic are so set on keeping themselves anonymous, but those doubts are diminishing as subscribers comment on what they're getting and appear to be at least satisfied -- and sometimes quite happy -- about Real Secrets. More and more, it's just the fact that I don't feel the need to spend $15 a month on magical surprise packages. I just got back into magic last year; there's so much available through normal channels that's new to me that I'd rather spend the money on. There's also the fact that I'm mostly interested in card magic at the moment and, as I understand it, Real Secrets isn't going to include a lot of that. Currently, I'd rather buy a good book or two of card magic and concentrate on that.

I do find amusement in the couple of Real Secrets subscribers with a sense of elitism and no sense of humor, though. The thing that tempts me most to subscribe at the moment is the simple fact that it would make those guys crazy to see me become one of the "Real Secrets elite" -- as one of them puts it -- simply because I paid the money and have a mailing address. I know they would be sickened to see me accepted into what they've convinced themselves is an exclusive fraternity, and I admit that would be satisfying...but so far that hasn't overridden my above-stated reasons for not joining.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
FrenchDrip, you should join because you want to experience the magic, not just to wind existing subscribers up. That would be the wrong reason to join.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Thanks for the unintentionally ironic advice, Jamie.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
No problem, here to help.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of newguy
Another new routine in the notes for this month's effect.

This is really an off beat idea and so good.
toberman
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of toberman
Real Secrets members, check out the notes for a new routine with Real Secrets effect #2. Some great thinking here.

To those non members who are still debating whether to join or not. Seriously? What are you waiting for? Join us. Be part of the fun.
toberman
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of toberman
Another bonus routine for Real Secrets #2 was posted today. That's right, another bonus!
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of newguy
It looks like the Trial Memberships are sold out.

I wonder how long until they close membership all together ?
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Surely they'd be crazy to do that if people are still signing up. I don't think it's a non-profit organization, so why wouldn't they keep selling memberships? If they ever close Real Secrets entirely to new subscribers, I expect it would be because they'd decided to quit doing their thing in a year or so and didn't want to make any new year-long agreements they didn't plan to fulfill. But as long as they're getting new "issues" out on time and customers are satisfied, I can't imagine them turning away new customers.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of newguy
They said they had the first year already produced, so there might be a limit
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4936 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Frenchdrop,
Have you ever thought that a group of high profile magicians got together and all had a few pet routines that were really good but the gaffs would be too expensive to make up. They did not want to mass produce so the ideas sat in their notebooks. Real Secrets gets their ideas published and produced, they get their props and all the other high end gaffs for free while their pet routine stays undercover.

The props we have received so far cannot really be made without a lot of trouble and expense. The thought that went into the first wo offerings is incredible. This is not some fly by night idea to make money. I am really happy so far. This is fun, exciting and I am getting some high quality magic.
James


Quote:
On 2012-06-02 14:25, FrenchDrop wrote:
Surely they'd be crazy to do that if people are still signing up. I don't think it's a non-profit organization, so why wouldn't they keep selling memberships? If they ever close Real Secrets entirely to new subscribers, I expect it would be because they'd decided to quit doing their thing in a year or so and didn't want to make any new year-long agreements they didn't plan to fulfill. But as long as they're getting new "issues" out on time and customers are satisfied, I can't imagine them turning away new customers.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
James, I didn't say it was a fly-by-night idea to make money -- or anything like that, even. I just said I don't think Real Secrets is a non-profit operation. My point is not that they're making any kind of cheap money grab, but rather that -- if they are in it to make money (and why shouldn't they be; nothing wrong with that) -- I can't imagine them artificially limiting the number of customers.

What's wrong with saying that RS is probably a for-profit project? Or that I think it's unlikely they'll stop taking new members any time soon? I can't see how those things could be taken as a criticism of RS unless one thinks it's wrong to sell magic for a living (or to supplement one's income).

(If someone has information to the contrary -- that RS actually is a not-for-profit organization, or that RS intends to stop taking new subscribers at some point in the near future -- I'm sure they'll point us to the source of that information.)
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of newguy
They stopped taking overseas trial memberships after month one
Now, after month two they have stopped taking US trial memberships

Those are the facts, the rest is speculation.

But they also remove the bonus material each month before posting the new bonuses

They also turn away applicants, cancel members who violate the rules and refund money

Those are not the traditional choices of most commercial enterprises

This is different
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Quote:
On 2012-06-02 23:56, newguy wrote:
They stopped taking overseas trial memberships after month one
Now, after month two they have stopped taking US trial memberships

Those are the facts, the rest is speculation.

But they also remove the bonus material each month before posting the new bonuses

They also turn away applicants, cancel members who violate the rules and refund money

Those are not the traditional choices of most commercial enterprises

This is different
someone told me they refused to allow him to join because he cant prove his mother and father where also into magic! Another guy was turned away after he didn't do the elmsley count perfect enough! One guy tried to pull a fast one, he showed up to buy a membership and he placed the money in the owners palm, he then tried to pull a freedom change and the money in his palm turned into 4 dollar bills! They kicked him out and banned him for life.

They play no games, they are powerful and very smart, the tricks they write in the book, many consider real magic, one trick requires the user to say "alma kalma kapoodle shu nu mishka" and the effect instantly takes place, they claim those words are the language of the gods on planet Nibru (google it) and when spoken in their language they listen.
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of newguy
All you say is true and correct, but you did not spell kaalma correctly, but I am sure you did that on purpose.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2506 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I'm a little late to this thread, and this comment appeared much earlier, but it is one of the most uneducated things I've ever read:

"I think the worst thing budding magicians can do is watch other magicians. James."

This is idiotic on so many levels that I can't even begin to address them.

NOW, as to Real Secrets, no one has mentioned here (I think) that an entire new routine with props has been posted on the Notes. It's still up there today, even though installment 3 is already being received by people. If you are a member, get your butts over to the website before it gets taken down, click on "Notes" and then scroll down to the bottom and look for the orange links. You'll find a bunch of pdf files to download which include both the instructions and props for yet another great trick.

I'm also pleased to announce that Real Secrets is contributing an effect to the Gift Bag at Genii's 75th Anniversary Birthday Bash.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2506 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I just wanted to clarify something that may have already been addressed or may not, or may not be clear in everyone's mind (it wasn't absolutely clear in my mind so I consulted the Real Secrets team): All tricks sent to members by Real Secrets may be performed live and in person for anyone, magician or laymen. If you want to perform a Real Secrets effect for other magicians, feel free! Just don't explain it (obviously--it's a secret) or post a performance on the Internet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Secrets Issue 2 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL