The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A question for professional school show performers (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
A question for professional school show performers.

Just curious: In today's school show market, how much success are you guys still having with printed materials? I've actually stood beside librarians and school PTA/PTO's as they sorted through their daily mail ... and watched them toss anything unfamiliar right into the wastepaper basket!

Obviously, repeat customers will read our promo materials. But what sort of success rate are you experiencing with new clients to whom you've mailed promo material? And what other methods are you using?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
None.
I haven't used printed promo materials in 7 or 8 years. I do post cards not for promo but other purposes.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thanks for your response, Mindpro. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in on this. So let me rephrase my question: If not printed materials, what DO you use for marketing? And for what other purposes do you use postcards?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I printed material I use a post card very large one that gets sent out at the end of each year then 2 weeks later begin the phone campaign.
during the conversation most will be asking for more info which I then direct them to my website as well as offer to email them the info as well.
some request snail mail and that is fine.

the combo of print and phone calls works well. it also helps to have a good show LOL

I find that being able to mention that I was in a school in their district recently is very helpful and usually gets the booking done.

you need to find what works for you but I can tell you that you need to be very aggressive in your marketing and have a show that they WANT.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Arthur, I agree too at being surprised more people haven't chimed in. I have noticed, especially with the school market, we tend to be very protective as to our methods and what is working.

I am almost 100% all email marketing and promotion. The only time I use post cards is if I am appearing at a convention or expo in their area and I use it as a Special Announcement/Invitation/"Stop By & See Me" reminder. I only send these to those in the immediate area, that are on my Hot List, VIP list, or that have inquired but not yet booked.

Occasionally if I have some avails in my touring schedule I'll send out a post card of my schedule with open routed dates.

Other than these two rare possibilities it's all e-mailings (opt-in of course).

As Sam mentioned if I have been or am coming to their area (district) that carries a lot of wait when the post card of open dates allows them to see the other schools in their area that have already booked. This as he said, does help a great deal.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
You have to realize the success rate of direct mail is 2%, and always has been. It is a frustrating to know that 98% of your mailing will end up in the trash can, but if you do it right that 2% could be gold, or even turn into regular customers.

I have never followed up with a phone call, or used any kind of cold call technique.

I am not secretive about my methods. In fact, I ‘tell all’ in an soon to be released free podcast on The Magic Bistro.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Yes, Ken was extremely generous with the info he shared. I'll put the podcast up sometime next week.

Ken, even the Bistro members don't know you are the next interview! I was going to do the anagram quiz. You are the Red Hornet King - that's the best anagram yet!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Wow a Ken Northridge podcast. I have listened to all of James' interviews, and I look forward to listening to my friend Ken tell me how he is able to support his large family while putting two kids through college without a day job.

Can't wait buddy
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Ken,

2% return is based on a lot of factors. (Many of which have been gone over on the Café before.) And actually that 2% may be calls from your material not bookings. It all depends on the timing, the offer etc.

98% ends up in the trash......I would suggest more so with certain folks within the school system ie. principals (at least in my experience based on calls when I have not been actively mailing).

But I will tip this....direct mail lives forever in a school system. You may not get a call from this mailing but 2 years from know when the new committee takes over, that hard copy file may be opened and there you are. MANY librarians will keep your info., daycare/after school programs will keep your material, Moms on committees will keep your cards and material if they are involved with fundraising etc.

So you may only get a 2% return on your initial mailing, but perhaps 25% is kept for future reference and use. It would be interesting to know this figure.

When I mail to principals, I would agree, 98% hits the bin, maybe EVEN BEFORE they get it (ah yes...that gatekeeper!!!)

By continuous mailings you want to own as much "real estate" in that hard copy file as possible. In that way when it is passed on you are there!

So you have your initial hit (2% plus, depending on your list) and then you have the retentian factor which is built on with each subsequent mailing and the 2% rises).

Blair
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Taking the time to find out WHO to mail it to, and even almost as important WHEN TO MAIL IT will help that return rate. Often people you might not imagine become allies and get things through.

For example many secretaries have a quite large input on what does and does not make it to a principals in box. Just a bit of research helps quite a bit.

Finding out WHEN they are looking for things never hurts either.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Good points Blair. When I say a 2% return rate, I mean 2% actually book directly from the mailing in 4 to 6 weeks. I’ve measured this and have gotten as high as 4% before. You are correct that some will hold onto the mailing for years and pass it down to someone else and book at some point. Then you have to factor in the percentage of the 2% that turn into repeat customers. How many papers in the trash is that worth!

Concerning the ‘who,’ this is what makes it more frustrating because it varies greatly from school to school and state to state…and year to year. Blair, you suggest that principals where you are don’t do the booking. In New Jersey, I’d say 30% of my bookings come directly from the principal.

Quote:
On 2012-04-28 10:40, Al Angello wrote:
Wow a Ken Northridge podcast. I have listened to all of James' interviews, and I look forward to listening to my friend Ken tell me how he is able to support his large family while putting two kids through college without a day job.

Can't wait buddy
Make that putting FOUR kids through college and another 16 year old yet to consider! LOL
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I find that a lot of the day care centers I send my post cards to just spent their whole years entertainment budget last month, so I send out four day care mailings a year, and James Munton taught me to follow them up with an email reminder.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Principals in this area do "spontaneous" bookings ie. oooops let's do something for Halloween, end of school etc. rarely is anything from a principal anything out in the future. These shows I would refer to as "entertainment" shows though not part of a planned program ie. bullying etc.

Blair
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I mail out three times a year. It's a full-color piece and it's sent to the person in charge (not a title). I have the email of 1/4 of the recipients, so I will email them right when the mailing piece is sent out telling them to look for it. I think there is a different approach when you are established and have been in a market for a long time. I don't view a mailing as a one-time event and don't get concerned if it gets a 2% or 10% response. I'm more concerned with keeping in touch and my mailings are one way of staying on their mind. Emails communication alone is too easy to dismiss or delete. I get tons of emails that I would be interested in reading, but I don't have the time. A mailing is a little easier because I can look it over while eating breakfast, etc.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Danny makes a few good points, as knowing who to direct your mailing or contacts to makes a big difference and does increase your return ratio.

The thing to remember is the school market has many layers and is more complex than many understand or give credit for. About two to three times a year the topic of school mailings or contacting comes up here and while some okay general information is given, it never tells the complete story. The truth of the matter is there is not a secret "bullet" to school mailings. One person does not handle school bookings (as nice as that would be). There are Principals, parent committees, faculty, after school programs, PTA events, and so on. Each typically handled by someone different, There is a mentality to direct mailing to the Principal, but as mentioned they may actually get and read a very small percentage if this info. They don't simply forward it to the proper person as we would wish. It does happen but not enough to count on it.

At a administration conference maybe four or five years ago, in a discussion panel the topic of mailing and solicitations came up and surprisingly (this caused me to restructure this area of my marketing operation completely) a huge majority of the panel as well as administration attendees in the audience said they simply toss out anything not directed to a specific faculty or administration persons name. No titles, they are automatically considered junk. Do not forward. There attitude (and two of them actually said this) if they don't know who these people are they're trying to contact, they don't want to reach them too badly. Big eye opener.

The problem is it is a bit of work and due diligence to find all of this info as it is not as simple as going to their web site or calling them, as they often don't have the fundraising representative or Assembly Director (usually a volunteer teacher) listen, and when you call they secretary may not always know or be able to give that info out. I booked several assemblies recently that were coordinated by the school nurse! It doubles in complication on the high school level for similar reasons. Plus more and more schools are using a secured contact system for emails and direct phone contacts, where yo must me whitelisted first in order for you contact to be received. The the security screening in advance at at the door upon arrival. The school market isn't the breeze everything (without any experience) seems to think it is.

Much also depends on not just the school's contact but the type of program - entertainment or educational. During school, after school, etc.

I'll have to check out this Magic Bistro and see if I can listen to Ken's podcast if I get a chance. Congrats Ken.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Yes yes yes I should have mentioned that in my post that I have the mailers addressed to a specific person BY NAME not their job description.
I should also ad that the nurse handles bookings for all your HEALTHY magic shows.

years ago the rule of mailings was the rule of 7 that is mailing 7 times a year thus creating that top of mind awareness meaning your name in front of them often. however in this day and age of FB, internet, websites, email etc etc, you need to diversify your ad campaign

I just mentioned to some one else that I use the rule of 5 for a school year and with that each piece goes out to the principal addressed to HIS or HER name and then follow up with a phone call and or an email. remember it might take some work to make that first contact and get that first booking but once you have it most schools look to build relationships with entertainers that they like. they want to know they are getting something good each time.

I have also for local schools met with the PTO to explain the options I offer and help them better understand what I can do for them with my shows.

great points and this is good thread with some really good info.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree, it should go to a person.

Everytime direct mail comes up we hear about people throwing the mail into the thrash without
even opening/reading it.

At my preschool business, I would be upset and probably threaten anybody that threw away my personal mail.
Wouldn't you?

So that is the answer right there, make your mail special, not just another advertisement.

Tom
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

I think there is an exception to "know who to send it to", you can of course send it to a name with a title/position and hope that the person sorting the mail will not just think/say "oh, that person is no longer here" and dump it to heck with the title.

Many schools will not give out names of parent volunteers, and yes, you can be devious and try to get them, but when doing extensive mailings, to find out who is on the home and school, P.P.O., the fundraising committe for the senior trip. etc. would take up a lot of time, resources etc. In these cases, I just address to title. But then that's me.

Blair
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

But Arthur,

To answer your initisl question, I use ONLY printed materials, no e-mails, no calling.

B
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What's your preference post cards, letters or other Blair?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A question for professional school show performers (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL