The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Late night convention sessions - a question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
I've only been to two conventions - the 2011/2012 Magic-Con conventions here in San Diego. Each time, there's been a late night session of some sort around 10 or 11 PM; I don't have any idea how long they've all gone, but, for instance, the Dani Daortiz lecture (wow! -what a great magician) went till about 12:30 or so.

As much as I like lectures, it's hard to deal with the lack of sleep the next day. -)

Do many conventions have a late night lecture session like this? I know folks get going at night, and sometimes just want to keep on going, and it'd make sense to have some official activity like a lecture or presentation going on late for those folks.

Larry S.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
In my experience, the close-up guys always tend to stay up till the early hours of the morning, showing tricks, trading ideas, or sometimes creating a spontaneous after-hours mini-lecture.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Close-up guys also tend to work night time venues. Their world is not so much 9-5. I know, it was my career for many years. As with other jobs, some people are day people some are night people. Also, some can do with less sleep than others. My first convention back 1973, I stayed awake almost 3 straight days. I can't do that anymore, but really have no desire to! Ha!

If I make the choice to stay up late at a convention, I usually get up late the next day, and sacrifice that first lecture of the day. If I want to meet friends for breakfast, I'll forgo the late night sessions. The only other real option is to grab a late afternoon snooze to refresh, when others are thinking about heading out for dinner. Grab something light and quick before the evening show and I can push it later that night.

You'll find that there are some conventions that pack so much into the schedule that it is almost impossible to make it to all the events. Personally, I'm OK with that. I focus on what I gain, instead of what I miss.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea If you Go to 4.f. Bed time Is around 4 or 5 A.M. And the first Lecture Starts At 11 A.M. Late night Is When the Best Stuff Happens! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Michael, you raised a good point. Some conventions do pack so much in, that they end up running consecutive lectures and workshops. So attendees are not able to see every headliner. They have to choose some, while sacrificing others they may also have wanted to see.

Personally, I prefer it when there are no conflicting lectures, i.e. when the convention organizers do not schedule simultaneous events. That way, each lecture is available for everybody. And attendees have a choice to see the presenter they came to see, and skip the ones they're not interested in. (It's better for the lecturers, too).
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Then You Mite Like the G.G.G. Close-up magic Con! Lots of time to Session!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Having been on both sides of the issue, as an organizer and an attendee, I would note that there is a fine balance when setting a schedule. In some cases, it is necessary to overload a schedule in order to attract a crowd. The competition for convention dollars is quite high these days. In the best scenarios when there are overlaps, the conflicting events cater to different interest groups (i.e., close-up monsters vs kid show guys).

Heavy schedules are touchy with dealers, too. I've been subjected to the best and worst in that regard, too. As a dealer, you need dead schedule time in order to make sales. When everyone is off watching lectures and shows non-stop, it's hard to make bank for the weekend.

Bouncing off what David said, specialty conventions generally allow for more "session" time, as all events are typically booked to cater to that special interest.

Try going to an IBM international... You're lucky to see half of what goes on. But in fairness, these are designed to appeal to a broader range of magicians. No one should come away saying that they experienced dead time.

Arthur hit the nail by mentioning the spontaneous events. These happen quite randomly. If you are in the right place at the right time, it can be the chance of a lifetime. I was at an after-party in a hotel suite, and about 2:00 am, Frank Garcia started showing the heavy hitting stuff while sitting on the side of the bed. I'll never forget it. I got a kick out of seeing a similar thing happen for my son when Tom Gagnon started frying heads at a table in the hotel bar a couple years ago.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Wow, Michael, now YOU'VE hit the nail on the head! I've been fortunate to experience the same thing a few times. When real magic legends shared their secrets in an impromptu setting, with just a handful of "hangers-on." Priceless! And unforgettable!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It also helps to room with some of the more creative magicians. Me, Ron Jaxon and Mike McNee shared a room and we were talking shop until about 4 a.m. Saturday, at the Michigan Magic Day Convention. We all hit the bars after the night-before party and I got to see Ron do some stuff that would make Malini proud.

Ron hinted at some inside info on upcoming magic on TV. Don't ask, I'm sworn to secrecy, so I'm not going to reveal a thing. But, it will be a show that you'll hear about, if you live in the U.S.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Yea Arthur,
That Happens all the time at the smaller Close up Cons. I guess it's just what you are into!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Folks who come from different time zones cannot just go to sleep on local hours.
Folks remain awake due to body clocks not being in synch...in addition to the other items mentioned.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Late night convention sessions - a question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL