The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ideas and Guidance? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Okay folks. I used to perform for kids (back when I was still a kid). As I "grew up" I wanted to do more stage work. Although I still incorporated a bunch of "volunteer on the stage" stuff into my shows (since most were populated by families), I tried hard to steer more toward illusions, etc.

However, my biggest reactions from both kids AND adults almost always came from the kid-oriented stuff (Vanishing Bandana, etc).

So, I had an epiphany...I am much better at entertaining kids, and entertaining the adults in the process.

I am now re-working the focus of my show to be much more "kid oriented". I will still incorporate the occasional puns, etc that are for the enjoyment of the older teens and adults...when I am doing a family stage show...

I also want to refocus my efforts into birthday parties, church event shows, fairs, festivals, corporate gigs that involve kids and families, etc etc.

My question is this: What is a good target for the length of a birthday show? How many of you use backdrops (I don't have one, but could build one easily)? What is the best way to start marketing? (newspaper ads, etc).

I have incorporated several very cool effects. I try to involve the kids as much as is humanly possible without being ridiculous. I am now using the Kandu Comedy Carton with a modified routine based on a post in this forum listed under "perfect opener for 12 year olds". It won't be my opener though. I also use the Vanishing Bandana, the Milk pitcher (using Silly Billy's routine), and Robert Baxt's Mouthcoil routine. I have lots of other effects...but no need to list them here.

I have also just contracted to have Scott at LOOK Creative Studios do a cartoon logo for me (I know many of you have used him).

I also plan (depending upon finances at the time) to attend the KIDabra Convention in August.

Any other suggestions or guidance?
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Mike, you are asking lot... I'd be happy to help, give me a call at 919-971-6115.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I can hear some of the Café members already screaming "if you used to do kid shows and been performing for so long then why do you need to ask. " LOL

however being that you have plenty of post and have contributed to many conversations I think you are ok asking

that aside

in my lecture I talk about all of this stuff.

of course these are just my opinions from my 20 years of performing for kids with over 6000 live shows but hey I am still learning too.

length of show-- I perform 50-55 minutes however the real key here is to perform a length of time you can handle and actully keep the kids entertained. 30 is too short and 45 might be just right for you at first.
of course you could offer a 40 minute show and then do balloons for the kids. but that is up to you.

back drop-- YES I have one I use it every show. it is the sam sandler back drop system with my patent pending adjustable curtains. sets up in less then 5 minutes but allows you to play just about every situation. not many can do that.
the spider stuff is expensive and has a dozen flaws for the daily worker that is in different locations and situations each time.
the jeff jones back drop (i believe this is the one that sets up quick and is fancy looking like a theatre back ground- although nice it also has many many limitations for those that play different venues often,. if you are always in a school and know you will always have the space then sure it is good but still has flaws in my opinion one being that you can not walk thru the center of curtain.

regardless yes I think a back drop not only adds to the shows professionalism but allows you to have your privacy setting up or need to change or what ever.

as for marketing look for every parenting newspaper in your area and look into the "parties" ad usually in the back of the paper. most run about $100 a month. then get out and volunteer at some family and kid events to get your name out there or get yourself booked at these events. of course make sure your advertising your biz card and everything else screams kid show entertainer. if that is what you are trying to be.

have fun and don't get eaten alive!!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
LOL...thanks Sam. I know full well I will get some asking the questions you mentined. But this is more of a refresher for me. I have been doing mostly stage work...now I want to add birthdays, festivals, etc...and as you are aware, these are VERY different animals with different dynamics. Just wanted to be sure I got off on the right path!

Thanks again!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Sam is right on the length of the show.

Marketing, do a good website, then check where your opposition is advertising, and advertise in the same places. They are using them because they work. Also, put flyers or posters or cards in hair-dressers and beauty salons. It is the mums who hire you for birthdays.

I use a pop-up backdrop for public shows. It is good marketing. But for birthday parties I never do. I believe that parents appreciate someone who will come and go with the minimum fuss. When I am there no one can ignore me. I dominate the room. But as soon as the show ends I get out of their hair. They have other things to do rather than wait while the man in the silly suit begins unbolting scaffolding and putting their furniture back the way it was. Others may disagree, but that is my view of the matter.

It is a fun market. Best of luck with it.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Backdrop? Yes! I love it when the venue has a backstage area/curtain, but if they don't I bring my own.

By the way Sam, is your backdrop on the for sale market? It sounds great! Do you have any info or pictures of it?
Mister Mystery
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Working on the pictures and info. I sold them a few years ago when I was playing a lot of conventions but kind of let it slide.

so working on my new website that will also have magic stuff for sale.

I can tell you that it is completely adjustable
you can be 6' long to 12' long you can be 4' high all the way up to 9' high if you wanted
the curtains are the best as they don't need to be ironed on washed all the time. my curtains that I use have seen over 300 shows and get rammed into my case each time but they always look perfect with no wrinkles! not that is magic! plus I invented a way to have them work for those that play different venues all the time. there were days I was in a house with 9' ceilings then the next show was in a house but in the basement with only 6' ceiling. so not wanting so much curtain material on the floor I came up with an idea that has served me well many many times over.

I hope to have pics and description available next week. along with a short video showing how it goes together.

thanks for the interest

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Sam, I would be interested in pics and description of your backdrop, too.

Mike: Leslie and I always use a backdrop. We basically "transform" the living room/den into a theatrical stage, with colorful props, draped side tables and backdrop. So when the kids and parents come in for the show, their space has been transformed into a magical environment. Many folks will disagree with me and say, "It takes too much time", or "All I need is my roll-on table." And I will concede that a backdrop is not neccessary. We could do a great show without it. But our personal preference is to make our "stage" as magical and appealing as possible. The kids love it ... and remember it!

Length of show: We do 45-50 minutes. No balloons, no face painting. Just solid magic, fun, humor and plenty of audience interaction. Kids help to "make the magic happen." Birthday child gets a special feature. For family events, we include a couple of effects that will appeal to, and amaze, the older kids and adults. But the focus is still on the kids (parents love to see their little "angels" participating).

Advertising: Good advice already given by Sam and Tony. Although I will caution you to track your marketing. If, after several months, something you invested in is not working, stop doing it. We have always found that word of mouth works best. The best advertising is to do great show - with non-agrressive "in-show marketing." Other places to put up flyers and cards are toy stores and the gym. Cartoon logo sounds like a great idea - we've often thought of having that done. Whatever you can do to set yourself apart from the competition, will be a plus. If you're interested in a great way to accomplish that, PM me.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thanks everyone!

Keep the ideas rolling!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
I use a backdrop every show. Sam can't wait to see your set up. Great idea Mike on having Scott do your logo I just saw my finishing proof it's great! For my birthday party shows I do about 45 min but finish with a game. The game is to have something that every kid can participate in if they didn't get the chance during the show. Does anyone else offer a 2 hour package? I have just started and it seems to be going good. I start with music, dancing and games. Quick break for food and drinks, then finish with magic show.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Magicjoe,

The 2 hour magic show/games package is something that has been offered in the UK for many moons. But to my knowledge, it has never really caught on here in the USA. Very interesting that you've been successful with it!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Arthur,

I was curious about your non-aggressive in-show marketing. Can you elaborate a bit, please?

Thanks,

Gerry
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I've started seriously thinking about a backdrop. It only takes one or two shows with a huge picture window behind you or off to the side (with the bounce house clearly visible!) to understand the impact of making sure you are the dominant feature of the room. I don't know that I'd go to the lengths Arthur does to "transform" the room, but you can do a lot with minimal stage settings to focus attention.

Ed
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
After Blackpool is when I started offering the 2hour package and I have had some positive feedback!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Just to clarify: My concept of "transforming the room" is not as complicated as it sounds. Here's what I use: A Jet backdrop (T-shape stand with black "pillow"-type cover, onto which I velcro a 6' Rabbit in the Hat Silk. Two Spider side tables draped with colorful covers. My Joe Lefler roll-on table, with my sign/logo velcro'd to the front. Add to that my sound system ... and that's it! We arrange with the bookers to be able to set up in private (meaning, kids outside, or in another room, until we are ready). So when the guests come in for the show, what they see is a complete surprise.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Gerry: There was a recent thread on marketing to children, which you can find here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=17&27
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Magicjoe: What sort of insurance do you need to have for presenting party games as part of your show? It seems to me the potential for accidents or injuries increases when you have kids dancing and jumping around. In our "sue-mad" society, if it happens on your watch, the magician would probably be held liable.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mike
Your questions are all over the place, and the answers to those questions are all over the place too. My suggestion to you is to initiate a workable marketing strategy, and do all the bookings you get one at a time.

If you go to Kidabra you will learn how to do kids magic the way hundreds of other Kidabra members do it. I lean more towards being an original performer, but I am in the minority.

Some guys love back drops, and others have no idea why anyone would want to pack, and unpack such an unnecessary prop, I belong to the second group.

If you set up in front of a picture window you don't need a back drop, what you need is a large dose of common sense.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Volunteer at some family and kid events ( Yes ) Also yes a back drop. I made my own. Works great . I made it out of PVC pipe.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Mr...I was planning to do the pvc thing...thanks.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ideas and Guidance? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL