The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Renewing the Enthusiasm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
Hi everybody! I haven't posted here in a while...then again, I haven't done any magic in a while. That's why I need your advice.

How do I renew the enthusiasm for magic? I've been too busy with other stuff this summer, and I'd like to get back into magic now, but I don't know where to start. I think it will help that my local club meetings are starting up again (they don't happen during the summer) but it might not be enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I think a good convention or lecture can really get you going again, or even seeing another magician who is particularly good.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
If you still feel that you have at least one good routine be it a two second vanish or a 20-minute rope restoration go out and find someone who wouldn't mind seeing it and do it for them.

Over the summer I did only one or two performances and stopped practicing. When I got to college last month someone heard that I was a magician and asked to see a trick. She handed me a pack and I did a really simple card change as a crowd gathered all around me. The audiences reaction reminded me of why I love magic and since then I have resumed my interest in performing magic.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I sometimes get a little burned out, especially when I have been practicing or rehearsing excessively. When this happens I like to watch some of my videos of some magic performances. If the performer is really talented, it reminds me of how much I can improve and inspires me to work harder.

I find that it also helps to pick up a magic book that I haven't looked through in a while and skim through it. This often gives me new ideas and really gets the creativity juices flowing.

And, since I am an amateur, I can sometimes go a while without performing. I try very hard to avoid this situation. If I perform often, it keeps my performance skills up to par and helps me keep my enthusiasm at a high level.

I hope my words were of help.

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Johnnymysto
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
116 Posts

Profile of Johnnymysto
I was out of the loop for about 3 years. Then I walked into a magic shop for a look-around, and BAM! The bug bit me again, and I'm now trying to become that coin magic master I always wanted to be. So, I'd say just look around and try something you've always wanted to try.

Good luck!!
bobdomeros
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of bobdomeros
Be careful about blaming yourself for ignoring magic. It's like the old friend you haven't written to in a while. Things came up, I got busy, I couldn't write... None of these seem adequate to start writing to someone, so you try for the perfect first line and you wait for the perfect first line to come. And it doesn't, and you wait some more.

Hey, you were busy. Other things took priority over magic for a while.

It's like rekindling a love affair. You may not have that first burst of love-at-first site enthusiasm.

So lower (or more accurately, change) your expectations.

Then take baby steps.

I'd start by reading a good magic book, in bed, under the covers, with a flashlight, in the dark.
jae
View Profile
New user
Missouri
10 Posts

Profile of jae
Smile
My suggestion would be to watch some really good DVDs or videos and remember how awe inspiring it can be to just be in the audience. Perhaps, watch them with a significant other who in turn may ask you to show them an effect that you did for them long ago, or who may never have seen your magical art before. (You know the tricks or effects that you are comfortable with.) Nothing is as inspiring as having someone you care about experience the sheer joy in watching you perform. I rediscovered this by sharing simple card tricks with my children who are now driven to find a better trick than their mother's. (Got to love competition to keep you on the edge.) Smile
Life is short..Reach for tomorrow but live for today. And NEVER take yourself too seriously.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Well, Alex, you entered the right place the right time. The Magic Café is the place to be. We will do our best in insisting, advising, encouraging and helping you with your needs.
rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
Bobdomeros,

Very well said!

Richard
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
I'm in a similar situation. I have been genuinely too busy to do much practice. I lost motivation for a while too. So here's what I did. I picked up a TT, a deck of cards and a rope and one thing led to another and I'm merrily obsessed again.

Practice something old and learn something new, that's my advice. Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Renewing the Enthusiasm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL