The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Duscheck's Dollar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I finally got around to picking up Steve Duscheck's lecture DVD, and I liked the look of Duscheck's Dollar and right away, made up my gimmick. I used the exact glue stick type that Dusheck did on the video, but I'm not getting good results. One issue I was having, was that the dollar would not "restore" nicely for me. The gimmick portion does not adhere well, and the method becomes obvious and the deception is lost. After deciding to apply another application of glue, the glue ended up working TOO well, and the dollar bill actually tore a bit (the glue pulling up a bit of the dollar it was attached to!) when I went to do the slice.

So, I am just curious if anyone is really using this effect on a regular basis - and if so, do you have any advice on a glue that may work well? Or any other advice in general? Thanks!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Danny
I have this 1982 lecture DVD, and Steve Dusheck is my hero. I carry about 6 Dusheck tricks with me when I do walk around and I'm going to look this one up. I'll get back to you after I find out what you are talking about.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Thanks Al. Yeah, he has some great thinking behind his stuff.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21953 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I use to do this trick all time when it was 1st marketed. I had no problem with the effect at all. I will say, you do not use a knife, but a letter opener. The dull blade slices in the correct place. It sounds just like it is cutting the bill. I use to have a little miniture sword that I used. I picked it up at a Pond shop. Some pond shops have unusual things they sell. Just look for a knife shop with all those fancy swords and things, and they will most likely have letter openers as well. If you feel you have to use a knive, I would suggest dulling the blade so it will cut through the glue and not the bill.

Also only use new dollar bills from the bank. Then crease the bill as directed. The nice thing about using glue stick, if you mess up, just run the bill under running water from a facuet. It pull apart easily and you can wipe off the excess glue, tape it back together and spend it. Or reglue it and start over after the bill has dried.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2012-04-27 10:45, wmhegbli wrote:
I will say, you do not use a knife, but a letter opener. The dull blade slices in the correct place. It sounds just like it is cutting the bill. I use to have a little miniture sword that I used. I picked it up at a Pond shop.

Ah, good advice. I was actually using a miniature Samurai sword (7") that I had for another effect, and it actually it a bit sharp. I will look for more dull letter opener. Thanks!

I might also try a new type of glue - I did realize my glue stick says "permanent glue" on it. Perhaps there's another type of glue stick to look into? Mine REALLY sealed up that dollar tight - which led to it tearing on me. And when I "snap" the dollar in the restoring phase, the glue does NOT re-seal well at all. And this, as you may suspect, leads to the method becoming very obvious.

I will get a duller blade, and experiment with some different glues.

- Edwin Louis Cole
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
I just watched this effect and it looks Great ! I'll have to set one up.
Thanks

Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Duscheck's Dollar (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL