The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book tests - psychic or memory ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
I have just seen a very nice book test performed at my local club and go to thinking how to "enhance" it.
My question is this though - are we using a book test as a feat of mind reading or of memory.

The test I saw used 3 spectators calling out single digits (no force....well sort of) to get to a page number.

Cheers
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
The answer to your question is to ask another question: Which effect do you WANT the book test to be?

You can present it as either one, but you want to make sure you clarify it in your audience's mind. It can be a memory stunt, but it that really the best way to exhibit a superior memory? If you have memorized the entire book, why not just have the audience call out a page number and word number and you tell them what word is there? There are other memory tricks out there such as memorizing the order of a deck that illustrate that effect much better. Mark Kornhauser does an amazing stunt where he has people yell out their zip codes and he tells them what city they live in. The fact that he works for large audiences filled with tourists from everywhere really makes this a spectacular effect. In my opinion, that is the ultimate "memory stunt," of course it is his effect and is not marketed.

I personally use the book test as a mind-reading feat. I use Larry Becker's Ultimate Flashback. I justify the word coming from a selection of books because of differences in vocabulary. To just have the spectator choose a word they know would have endless possibilities, and since mind reading is an imprecise art, the chance of success would be minimal. I tell the audience that by limiting the word selection to "a few hundred thousand words" boost my odds of success.

I hope this was of help to you.
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
I've seen Ultimate Flashback, my only "thing" is that that requires you to hold the book - are there any where the spec can hold the book the whole time.

Maybe I'm just looking for the ultimate book test
sokarnl
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of sokarnl
Val's Unfaked Booktest, is a booktest with an unprepared book and where spectators holds the book all the time.

There are also some prepared books which can achives what you look for, but they are expensive. But Val's is about $10,00.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book tests - psychic or memory ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL