The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Edge to edge plywood joinery? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Hey all,

I need plywood that measures, say, five feet by five feet (or larger). I can't use any type of wood strip to screw into, as I need the surface on both sides to be the original thickness. Does anyone know if it's possible to do a simple glue butt-joint? I've never heard of this being done with plywood, and probably for good reason. It seems like the edges would not bond as with hardwood, and I would also think the plywood would have a tendency to warp when clamped. Any solutions?
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have seen a couple of places that do carry widths up to 60", but if I need something even larger? Thanks!
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I would dado both sides... and use some sort of thinner plywood, with the grain going in the opposite direction to use like a lap joint... but make sure to put the cross grained wood on both sides.. and use plenty of glue.. and sand bags or weights to weight it down. Sand the joint to make it smooth.

you certainly can't butt joint plywood.. it would have no strength.. even using modern glues.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would do a lap joint on the two piece with plenty of glue.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Baltic birch sheets are 5x5. If it only needs to be a bit larger you could glue up some hardwood strips on the edges. The strips can be put on with biscuts or a spline.
Flip Disc
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Flip Disc
The wider the lap joint the better. I'm saying something like a 4" lap. I would use a slower setting epoxy. Coat both laps and clamp it good.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Flip's got the right idea, I think. To make sure it glues flat, set several really heavy things (buckets of bricks, etc.) across the lap while it's drying. Easier than finding a clamp with a 2 1/2 foot reach...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Or pop a few screws through the joint to snug it up until the glue dries. They can be backed out later and the holes filled. I think wood glue would produce a better bond than epoxy. Some epoxies degenerate over time.

Agreed on the wider lap. Cut rabbets with a hand-held router, beginning at the shoulder and gradually working toward the edge to remove the waste.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
All my magic boxes I have used a simple box joint, they have held up for over 25 years. I did use Finland Plywood, with corner clamps and glued and nailed the edges in place. Then a small amount of putty covers the finishing nail heads.

I have never experienced glue causing the wood to warp, it is ususally that the wood was already warped prior to assembly.

If you have a good multi-layer plywood, there is not reason why the butt joint would not hold. If you only want to use glue, then you will have to invest in several cabinet pipe clamps to clamp the edges. Depending on the weight you are going to put on the wood, corner blocks may or may not be necessary.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I'd go with lap joints and be sure you get a solid core plywood. One where all the plys are solid.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
If it is going to be painted you can use MDO with a lap joint glued and screwed . I would leave the screws in and countersunk .

If you want a really flat, tight joint make cauls twice as wide as the lap/scarf,one on bottom, one on top ( don't forget wax paper or plastic to keep the cauls from being permanent) and screw through the panels every few inches to get a good amount of clamping force.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Now that I think about it, if you've got a really good router and jig, and high quality plywood, you may be able to get away with dovetail joints (a lot of them.) It all depends on where the most stress will be placed on the panel.

Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Ping Pong tables are over size. They used to come a full 5X9 or 10. How thick are we talking? How about laminating thinner sheets like Lauan plywood criss crossing them just like traditional plywood? You could use a good flooring glue/ mastic then roll over it with a linolium roller to spread the glue and force contact. You could even sandwich it all between 2x4 cleets and screw them together until it sets then use a wood filler to fill the screw holes. If you stagered the butts, you could make a 10' x 10' even. You will have a very solid sheet of material believe me.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
What's the application. If you need a massive sheet of ply something is off.

Can you explain what you are trying to do?

J
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-08 00:58, Jay Mahon wrote:
What's the application. If you need a massive sheet of ply something is off.

Can you explain what you are trying to do?

J

Sure! I am in the process of building ATA cases for all my illusions. I have a base that measures 5' by 5' (actually a fraction more when you account for the trim). As you know, when building cases, you have to build the case larger than the prop to allow for the foam padding, so a 5' sheet of ply would be off by an inch or so. Now, I've seen special extrusions that allow two pieces to be edge-joined (sort of an edge-to-edge double channel as opposed to the regular 90 degree double angle extrusion), but those would result in an extra piece of aluminum running down the face of a panel, and I really want the clean look. So, I don't really need to extend the sheet by all that much, just a little extra.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Any reason why you can't use a steel joining strip on the inside, so it'll be concealed by the foam?

Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Let me see if I understand this correctly.

You are looking for a way to make your prop cases look pretty? That is a recipe for disaster. These should be strong, not pretty.

Frame the inside of the box around the thing you are trying to protect. Then attach sheet goods. Anywhere there is a join, you can simply run a 2 by 4 down that seam and screw both sheets to the 2 by 4.

These are not meant to look great, they are meant to keep the contents looking great. You joinery ideas are fine, but what do you do when a truck accidentally backs up and hit the box? Or a forklift gives it a shot in the center?

With your method of joinery it will be weak but pretty especially as a HUGE seamless surface. Pressure in the center of that panel will be pretty easy to break through.

If you really feel this is the right way, that is fine, but I must recommend you drop the idea of pretty boxes protecting boxes and get more practical!

J
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-08 16:27, Jay Mahon wrote:
Let me see if I understand this correctly.

You are looking for a way to make your prop cases look pretty? That is a recipe for disaster. These should be strong, not pretty.

Frame the inside of the box around the thing you are trying to protect. Then attach sheet goods. Anywhere there is a join, you can simply run a 2 by 4 down that seam and screw both sheets to the 2 by 4.

These are not meant to look great, they are meant to keep the contents looking great. You joinery ideas are fine, but what do you do when a truck accidentally backs up and hit the box? Or a forklift gives it a shot in the center?

With your method of joinery it will be weak but pretty especially as a HUGE seamless surface. Pressure in the center of that panel will be pretty easy to break through.

If you really feel this is the right way, that is fine, but I must recommend you drop the idea of pretty boxes protecting boxes and get more practical!

J

Whoa, easy there. I know how to build cases, and no offense, but I would certainly never include a 2x4 inside as you suggest. I am building cases to protect my props and transport them safely, and the main concern is not to look pretty. However, once I have met that requirement, then yes, I would like to show up at a venue with a professional appearance. This would be the all black ATA cases, not a hodge-podge of heavy plywood crates. I was simply asking around because although "this ain't my first rodeo", I am not an individual who thinks they know everything, and I thought that someone might have a suggestion on how to get a few more inches out of a plywood sheet. The good news is that this forum is frequented by many knowledgable builders and they have offered me some great suggestions! Thanks everyone!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, not to toot my own horn, but you may want to ask around and see what people think of my book "Boxes, Cases, and Crates," published in January by Leaping Lizards. It's precisely on the subject of making travel cases for magic stuff, although I do mention that ATA-style cases aren't always necessary. Michael Baker did a review a month or so ago; you can find it in the book-review section here in the Café.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Edge to edge plywood joinery? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL