The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Starting to build a Modern Art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Looks great, can you tell us how much it cost you??
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
766 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Hi Jim,
Yes, it would fit in one case but I have not built it yet. Right now it fits in my SUV pretty easily so I probably won't build a case until I need one. The top would lay down sideways on top of the bottom portion. It is designed to lay as flat as possible. I am not that sure how heavy it is but I can pack it up and carry each piece by myself without that much effort. I think I have just over $200 in it. That is 2 sheets of plywood, paint, accessories and cloth. I found the legs pretty cheap from a guy who had plenty of them just laying around an old warehouse.

Wayne
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Im curious... did you have to get permission from Chance Wolf and/or Dave Womach to use the same art scheme on the front?

~Bryan
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I just purchased some birch plywood on our state tax free weekend and am getting ready to finally build a modern art. I'll try to post some pictures as I go. It has definitely been a big help to see progress from Wayne and Illusionman2 of their projects from early stages to finished product.
-Tim
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
766 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Have fun Tim. Glad we were able to help. It is a fun project.
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I have most of everything cut out and have the basic skeleton of the bottom put together. I'm trying to make it collapsible similar to Illusionman's modern art, while still keeping the decorative table cutout on the end. I'll try to take better pictures with a real camera instead of my cell phone.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41481644@N08/7801155926/
Kenley Browne
View Profile
New user
Canada
12 Posts

Profile of Kenley Browne
WayneCapps it looks beautiful and great craftsmanship! But I have a thought...
When you are "cut into two" with the doors closed, doesn't the yellow paint job direct your eyes towards a solution?
blamobox
View Profile
New user
A shed in Somerset England
52 Posts

Profile of blamobox
I agree with Kenley that you've done a great job building these Wayne, the only thing I personally feel is that the decoration lets it down slightly.
The design on the front could possibly tip a method, Harbins original design for 'Zig' used very straight lines to illustrate where the assistant was, (or was supposed to be).
Jim Steinmeyer's clever design is curved but in the opposite direction of the assistants 'special' position adding to the mystery.

Finally, looking at the other photos, they all look very well made but I don't like the glossy black on your 'zig-zag' Try using a dull blackboard type paint.
Surprisingly, there seems to be very little written about the deceptive use of colours in illusion design, I'd love to read more on this subject.

Best wishes
Alex
Time Ticks Away Like a Peanut............
blamobox
View Profile
New user
A shed in Somerset England
52 Posts

Profile of blamobox
I agree with Kenley that you've done a great job building these Wayne, the only thing I personally feel is that the decoration lets it down slightly.
The design on the front could possibly tip a method, Harbins original design for 'Zig' used very straight lines to illustrate where the assistant was, (or was supposed to be).
Jim Steinmeyer's clever design is curved but in the opposite direction of the assistants 'special' position adding to the mystery.

Finally, looking at the other photos, they all look very well made but I don't like the glossy black on your 'zig-zag' Try using a dull blackboard type paint.
Surprisingly, there seems to be very little written about the deceptive use of colours in illusion design, I'd love to read more on this subject.

Best wishes
Alex
Time Ticks Away Like a Peanut............
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-12-02 07:28, blamobox wrote:

I am surprised at how often this technique is completely overlooked, not only in illusion, but also in smaller apparatus.

I'd be interested to hear what George Ledo, as a set designer, has to say on this. There is a need for conforming to an overall design, but there may also be a point when letting that become an inflexible rule could compromise the deceptive nature of a prop. Of course, this can be as a result of a variety of techniques, but choice and use of color is certainly of great importance.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Kenley Browne
View Profile
New user
Canada
12 Posts

Profile of Kenley Browne
I was looking at how licensed builders finish the Modern Art illusion and Owen Redwine is a perfect example of how a paint job can inhance the illusion.
Check out the image of a Rewine version http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Illusion-O......75.l2557

The painted curves draw your eye away from a method. Actually the more I look at this one, the better it looks. Even the angles of the upper box draw your eyes towards the left and the hint of red paint shows where the assistant/magician is not. The bottom curve of the "person image" also draws your eyes right and further enhances this separation.

I like the colors of this one... http://www.hatsoffproductions.com/UMI/ModernARt2.jpg but I would completely repaint it. To me a lot of what enhances the illusion has been left out.

P.S. Anyone else think Modern Art Reloaded is a poorer version of this version?
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Kenley, the one you say you like the colors of is the one that the artwork that these guys are saying isn't working out because it tips the method Smile I too like the design and have asked and received permission from Dave Womach (the original owner), Chance Wolf (the original artist), and Keith Raymond (the current owner) of that specific design to use the same artwork on my Modern Art.

I've posted a blog to show my progress: http://www.bryangillescomedymagic.wordpress.com Use the password: blackstone to access the portion of the blog regarding my build.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Starting to build a Modern Art (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL