The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Birthday Party Planning Tips" Booklets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Hey everyone! I found a file on my computer a while ago and it was a sample letter that you send out to companies that cater to the Birthday Party market. I'm interested in this! Do you guys print out "Birthday Party Planning Tips" booklets? I'd really like to start because it would definately be a good way of self-advertisment as well as a way to get some income on the side from advertisers. I emailed Tim David on the topic a long time ago and have yet to hear back from him (He's the one who wrote the sample letter I mentioned) so I figured I'd bring the questions to all of the wonderful marketing geniuses here!

A few questions about the booklets/ad offers:

1) How do you print the booklets? Who does it and how good of quality are they?

2) How do you put them into circulation (Day care centers, children's clothing stores, pediatrician offices, party supply stores, libraries, etc.)? What exactly is the process of getting these places to say yes? I assume you offer them for free.

3) What are some examples of businesses that you'd offer the advertisement to?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Andini, Here is a method to get you on your way...

How do you print the booklets? Who does it and how good of quality are they?

Design the pages in the landscape mode. When folded they become 5-1/2 by 8 size booklet. Use Pagemaker, MS Publisher, MS Word or some other publishing or powerful word processing program, that accepts graphics. Paint Shop Pro and Pagemaker are my two top programs. Set print font to 12-14 for readability with heading and page numbers (careful with page numbers, make test booklet first). 19 single sided pages print into 9 double sided pages or 36 page booklet not including the cover which has prime advertising space, as well as the first page. Take these 18 pages and cover two pages to Office Max, Staples, Office Depot or your own cheap private printer you trust. They will print the pages. You don't need a 36 page booklet. It can be a 8 page booklet to keep the price way down.

Remember to have a "Call to Action" message like offering a discount coupon, or have a coloring page contest. Your goal with this booklet is to get them to call you and leave their Name and phone number. If the booklet fails to do this then a lot of money will be wasted. The primary reason for the booklet is for lead-generating to get you those clients. Getting the prospect to call you is the single most important thing this booklet should be designed to do!

You could order CJ Johnson Instant Author Booklets and Printing rights. Nice work here and it's all done, along with graphics you can use to place on the backs of certificates, bookmarks, business cards, all to enhance their value to the clients. CJ Johnson explains all this in either of his booklets. These are very good quality.

Eric Paul has a mini version of this in his How To Become Your Area’s TOP Children’s Entertainer excellent manual (You should own this manual!) and CD ($97) and a great Ed Harris Clip Art for Magicians CD ($27) It has Posters, Brochures, Mystery Dollars, etc.

You will need to purchase from Office Depot the Swingline 615 Saddle Stapler and staples to bind the booklets. (Might have to order this on-line)

What are some examples of businesses that you can offer the advertisement space to pay for the booklet?

If you are targeting the Birthday Party Market then you target those that sell to this market: Party Stores, Pizza Parlors, Bakery Stores, Ice Cream Stores, Toy Stores, etc.

How do you put them into circulation?
Smaller page booklets are best for giveaways, larger books can be sold for $5.00. If Advertisers pay for the printing, then they can be giveaways. Post your material in the following locations where MOMS (Hint-Hint-Hint) tend to go:

• Beauty Shops
  • Churches
  • Community BBS
  • Dance Studios
  • Exercise Parlors
  • Weight Loss Clubs
  • Karate Clubs
  • Libraries
  • Malls
  • Party Stores
  • Restaurants (Family- Place mats)
  • Supermarkets
  • Toy Stores
  • Places with Community BBS

What exactly is the process of getting these places to say yes?

If they directly benefit from their ad, saying yes is not that difficult. Other places, may say no, it is a fact of life, expect it and try the next place. Find the biggest supermarket in you neighborhood and set up a pitch table with this booklet on it and some small giveaways trick to entice them to the table. One weekend could get you a months bookings. Remember you are an entertainer so entertain, sell yourself.

Here are some locations where you can purchase Goody Bag items and stuff for you to pitch at the supermarket. PS, have some flyers made with coupons on them:

A general rule is to ear mark a portion of your earning for marketing. Without it you can't get work! By the way, it is assumed you have a good birthday party show. And finally, let me know how it works for you!

Good Luck
The Dennis Michael Birthday Party Show
Dennis Michael
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Thanks for sharing Dennis.

I cut out more of your posts to save for later than any other poster.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Thanks for the compliment. Putting meaningful posts serves two purposes. First, it informs others in the Magic Café of ideas that may help them.

Second, it does require the poster to research, study and give serious thought to the post, which does enhance one's knowledge. It becomes a two way learning experience; for the poster and the reader.

It's nice to know you appreciate the post!
Dennis Michael
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've put mine online at http://www.funnybones.com.au/kids_party_advice.htm for parents to print out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Birthday Party Planning Tips" Booklets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL