The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Through Body? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Harry. I think I'm going to give this a try. I think it'll be a great way to draw a crowd, and a lot of fun by play.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I did the rope thru body effect from Mark Wilson's course in magic...when the ropes were behind my back grabbed the wrong two..needless to say the first attempt in rope sawing was painful for me. I learned a hard lesson from that performance.
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Ah yes but one you will knot forget! Smile
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
You might also want to check Daryl's routine of Harold Rice's Ropes through Body on the DVD FoolerDoolers Volume 2
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2220 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Fantasio also has a rope thru body effect in his video. It's so simply and very deceptive. But you need to wear a jacket.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does Fantasio have a version you can do without the jacket?
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Can you use Sheet's version w/out jacket... performing just with your shirt (and pants of course)?

j.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I do a slight variation of Cords of Phantasia and use three spectators and the ropes are ungimmicked. You begin with tying two ropes around a wand (which is going through a box with four holes: front, back, and sides) forming a knot then have two spectators tie 4 silks or put ropes through 4 harness rings. The ropes then go through the sides of the box and get tied around a third spectator. The box is closed and two spectators pull the ropes as hard as they can. The ropes penetrate the box and the spectator. The silks or rings have fallen off the rope and are inside the bag. When the ropes are shown, they is shown to still have the knot in the middle of the ropes. Having said all that, I will have to check out Bob Sheets routine!

Jimmy
P.S. You could adapt Fantasio's version to do without a jacket but then it would have to go under a shirt and perhaps use a g*****k to keep it in place, although that can be worked around as well.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
You can perform it without shirt but the method can be easily discovered.

You can avoid that if you wear your shirt out of your trousers.

How do you end the Bob Sheet's method. I have necer been confortable at the end of the effect, so I'm restricted to do it only in children shows where I use to little children that free the rope If I pull it at the end for take a bow.

But the impact in all audiences is great and I want to do it in my corporative shos also. Sugetions and tips?

Darío

Sorry,

You can't perform it without shirt (well you can but...)

I want to say that you can perform it without jacket but the method can be easily discovered.

Darío
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Man...once again I hafta recommend Bob Sheets 'Hang 'Em High'...I used my ungimmicked version all this past summer!

This is the routine...
Rope Thru Neck (Tenkai)
Head Twister (towel or Mak Magic I do both)
Ropes thru body ala Sheets (using 2 ropes which are ungimmicked)
Bisection (Andrew Mayne)to explain how ropes penetrate body, parts of me disappear.
Routine it well and it will play huge!

Johnny Mystic
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
On 2004-08-11 15:15, johnpert wrote:
Can you use Sheet's version w/out jacket... performing just with your shirt (and pants of course)?

j.

Yes. I did this at different times in slacks and shirt usually street or very casual parties. You can do it surrouned if you have a shirt out and/or wear it open with a T shirt, as in the magic in the streets on the travel channel, or a jacket on.

The video is a 10 minute routine that uses insomnia, the idiot rope trick, cards across and rope thru body(hang em high).

Still one of my favorite crowd pleasers. bob.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hello Mr. Bob Sheets! I would just like to say thanks for putting your trick on the market. IMHO it is one of the greatest rope tricks of all time. It ranks right up there next to the professors nightmare!

Johnny Mystic
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
Go for hang 'em high it's great.
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
The responses on this forum are EXACTLY why I stopped producing "Rope-u-tation", the trick that Jay, Maritess and Paul are using. Anyone who has seen it performed correctly, with the practice and proficiency necessary, will attest to it's effectiveness compared to any other rope through body. The idea was inspired by moves by Flip and Jeff Stewart's rope through body, combined to make a completely new routine.

However, everyone has to recommend Bob Sheets' "Hang 'em High" because they aren't aware of my version, and they assume that, hey, it's Bob Sheets, so it must be better. The usual magic community 'sheep' mentality. If you're creative, live in a community of a lot of magicians, and aren't famous yet, get used to it!

I've been doing it for almost two decades, and it always gets rave reviews. David Copperfield was baffled by it, and requested that I repeat it 3 times. There were rumors that David wanted to use it in a special, but the producers wanted him to use one of THEIR effects so that they could reap the benefits of selling theirs after the special. That would've been HUGE exposure, but it was not meant to be.

Kevin James wanted to market it, but I wanted him to manufacture them, too. He didn't want to, and it fell flat at that point.

I have a new ungimmicked, examinable wrist chopper, "Choppo" that is going on the market soon. If I have success with that, I may re-introduce "Rope-u-tation" once Choppo takes off. Choppo fries almost every hugely knowledgeable magician that has ever seen it. If you like the rope trick, you'll REALLY like this new chopper.

Paul did a nice job with it on 30 seconds to Fame.

Thanks,

Jimmy Fingers
http://www.jimmyfingers.com

Quote:
On 2003-10-04 17:47, Jordini wrote:
Hi all! I saw a performer by the name of Paul Nathan perform this. He started off with the standard rope through neck trick, and then it went through his body. He said the hard part is when it gets stuck, and then the rope was passing into his body. He then took the rope and it was going in one ear and out one nostril. It looked like the rope was split in half, but I don't know the exact workings of it. Is anybody familiar with this trick?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Through Body? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL