The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Have you seen this hinge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Hey folks,

I have been working for a few years to get permission to build an authorized version of this prop that was originally built in the '70s. I now have the go ahead. Any help would be great. This product is very important to me and I want to make it just as close to the origional as possible.

Do any of you know where I can find this hinge?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47288697@N04/7140269291/
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Just for your info, you can google a picture. Can't say it works every time but it does work.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
And also this listing for 8 . Also lists the manufacturer.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/94416154/vin......-lis-and
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Wow. Ican't believe you guys found the hinge. Way to go. Truely magicians helping magicians. Next time I can't identify a part, I'm posting it here.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Thanks for finding the hinges. Now that I have the manufacturer name, "Homecraft hinge" there is hope to find these in large quanities. I have not been able to find the company yet but I am looking hard.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Looks like Homecraft houshold stoped doing hinges in the late 70s. Guess I will just have to find something as close as possible. Thanks again for those who helped me look for this.

If anybody knows of a hinge that is a close match that would be great. Small box hardware that looks good is so hard to find.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Check out Antique Hardware It looks like they have quite a collection available.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Ended up buying the homecraft hinges above. The seller had several more so I have enough to start the project. Still need many more so anybody that runs across these hinges I will be a buyer for several months to come.

Thanks again for help finding this hinge,

Gimpy
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Don't know if they have exactly this hinge, but Lee Valley, at http://www.leevalley.com, has a huge selection of "period" hardware. They offer quantity discounts and ship really fast.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Gimpy2
What illusion are you looking the hinges for??
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Its a remake of a die box built 30 years ago. The box apears to have been designed starting with the hinge. The hole pattern is just perfect so that the doors work just right. Plus I am wanting this prop to be an exact copy and the Homecraft hinge is key to the special look.

Just to be clear this is an authorised reproduction with fees paid to the owner of the rights.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
That looks like a design that would be very simple to cast.
Obviously price is a key,but,have you given any thought to having them made bespoke?
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Its a cast hinge. They are very well made, normal for a small pin hinge to have a bit of wiggle but these have no wiggle and operate smooth.

I have thought of having the hinge made but am wondering if you could get someone to make just a few hundred of them. You have 4 hinges per unit so you could get out of wack on price pretty quick.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Constantine's woodworking is also a good place to find old, odd or difficult to find hardware. My carving mentor used them all of the time.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
617 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Found an etsy seller Gimp who sells some that look almost identical. http://petitemichellelouise.blogspot.com......ges.html
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
617 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Here is a picture from her site:
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Tim Snyder
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
91 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
One of the things that I really like about the café is the fact that posts survive forever. Rather than start a new post, people in the know just continue the discussion from an old post. This often really adds depth to the conversation... But occasionally you get a misfire like has happened here. Smile
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Dan, Thanks for the info. After this thread started I was able to find all the info on the hinge. The hinge was made by Homecraft, the company went out of business in the late 70s. I have been collecting the hinges for years now. I have about 60 of them I have found on ebay. This style of hinge was used on Delben products. You cant even make a Delben die box without them. I found an old shop note from Ben Stone explaining why the die boxes can no longer be made after he ran out of them. I was able to use some of the small hinges last year on some two hole choppers that were reproduced with permission.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2017, Tim Snyder wrote:
One of the things that I really like about the café is the fact that posts survive forever. Rather than start a new post, people in the know just continue the discussion from an old post. This often really adds depth to the conversation... But occasionally you get a misfire like has happened here. Smile

How so??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Have you seen this hinge? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL