The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Video to life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sap4997
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Sap4997
Many years ago David Copperfield used to do this illusion in which he played a video on the front panel of what appeared to be like a shadow box, and certain items that where displayed on the screen turned to reality. I'm not sure of the name but for some reason I think it was called video to life. Does anyone remember this illusion and if so does anyone have any details about it as far as who created it and who built it. I think it was an inclusive effect, being that I don't recall seeing any one else perform it. It is a shame he or any one else don't perform it any more, for it was a thing of beauty.
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
Maybe Tim White or Don Wayne? I'd start with Don Wayne and go from there. I'm positive he'd shed light on it. It really is a cool piece.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Mark Wilson did a similar illusion where he was on screen and an assistant stood in front of the screen. Objects were passed from Mark to the assistant where they became real instead of images. I believe he used this in some of his trade show work and at expositions. The last time I saw it was probably 10 years ago at LegoLand in California, where Mark had a theatre set up for magic. I believe the theatre has since closed or been converted to a different type of venue.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Look for a previous thread on this there was a lot written about this effect quite awhile ago.

The Czechs really developed/advanced this (invented?) and they used it at world's fairs in pavilions and in a stand alone theatres called Laterna Magica.

Tibor Rudas a show producer also used this effect extensively in his revue shows with dancers running in and out of the screens etc.

Blair
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
About 12 years ago I created a screen to life where a large portable screen was seen onstage. Instead of being firmly mounted onto a framework the screen was in a rectangular frame which was attached to a larger framework with a single bolt on each side. Thus the screen could pivot forward or be rotated (end over end towards the audience so the top of the screen pivoted towards the audience) entirely within the larger framwork.

Two assistants rotated the screen to show it to be just a screen with nothing behind. A video image of me in the distance in a large white room walked onto the screen, as if I was far from the camera. I turned towards the audience and then walked forward - my image growing in size as I did so. As I reached full size I brought my hands together in front of me and then pushed them apart from each other - as if I was opening a curtain. As this happened the video image of me was replace with the real me opening a spit in the spandex screen and I walked through.

It was a bit of a finicky bit of magic but a very powerful way to be produced off the top of the show. If you're interested in details pm me.

Murray
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I found a reference that Mark & Nani used their version to promote Pepsi/Fritos at the '64 World's Fair.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
magicboy7
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
45 Posts

Profile of magicboy7
Fred Becker has been using this effect for years
magicboy7
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
45 Posts

Profile of magicboy7
Rosebrand has some great material for this effect
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Mark Wilson called it- Cine illusion. He hired me to install and direct his last version of it at Legoland a decade ago. It included a live levitation performed by Mark on screen.
Davids version was a Million Dollar Mystery seen here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIf4yw0WWq8
Currently Curtis Adams and Adam Trent do versions with 4 screens and they jump between them. I built several parts of the effect for Curtis. His presentation includes the production of 4 dancers who emerge from each screen.
The big problem they have is that you need to hire the on-screen performers for every gig. Once the dancers know they have you over a barrel, they get expensive!
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Sap4997
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Sap4997
Thanks for all of the comments. Listening to all of you made me realize that though it is a great effect, it's probably to big in size and I realize now that it is an effect that demands a tremendous amount of perfect timing and you really need to be on cue. I think I'm going to just purchase the accumolater illusion and call it a day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Video to life (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL