The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Exercises for Hands (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Quote:
On 2012-05-18 02:39, Angel1998 wrote:
Greg Irwin is one of the best Hand Therapist. You should do all exercises daily and about 2 months. You will amaze about your fingers Smile

I second that,buy Greg's latest DVD and this Baby here: http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Ther......72243759 and you're good to go for the time you have left in this planet, just check the session on the elbow,forearm, and hand pain, for any pain related. this book is the closest thing to a miracle, actually this book can change your life.

Have a Happy New Year Everyone.

Mano Tejeda
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
Lots of really good information here. I have to looks at some things I have not seen before. As a professional musician, and music teacher the thing I really try to get across with my students is to be relaxed. Being nervous about what you are doing causes tension in the hands. Practicing with tension causes errors in technique, and possible problems with other techniques down the road. If it hurts, stop. Take a significant break. The ability to do some of these things, magic or music, do not develop overnight. Spend the time focusing on making sure things are being done properly, and let your hands/fingers build up the strength/agility/stamina to do it over time.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Hare
Patience is your biggest friend when it comes to any dexterious hand pursuit. The more skills you develop doing different things, the more it will help you be able to accomplish more.

As a full time cartoonist with Disney, a guitar instructor, and an amateur coin magician, I find that these various skills all help one another. Guitar requires the most physical skill. The drawing is more about getting your brain and hand working as one, and remembering what things ought to look like. Coin magic is a little of both, and it takes real time to become adept and comfortable at it.

Try mixing up your practicing holds and moving the coin around, and don't just repeat one thing too much. The real "magic" happens not in the hold or in the final destination of the coin- it's those moments between- when the coin is moving and stuff like what they describe as a "fingertip rest" is happening that you need to be equally comfortable and familiar with.

Turn "practice" into a "habit" that you do in your downtime moments- walking down the street- at lunch- whilst watching tv. Don't consider it formal practice, think of it as what you do when you are relaxing....it's smoking without the negative side effects!

I typically always have three soft matching Morgans in a pocket- pants, robe or jacket. I always use the mirror in any bathroom, at home or away. My jacket allows palming to backpalming anywhere I am. I often drive with a coin palmed.

That is, in my opinion, the most wondrous thing about coin magic- you can polish your skills more than any other magical art, more than playing an instrument, (except maybe your voice). Coin hand magic requires no props other than you and a coin or two, and frankly, great coin work is more amazing to me still, after 40 years of practicing it, than any big illusion that takes a truck and stage.

Good luck- coin stuff is worth the efforts!
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
This is a great thread with excellent advice.
Philip Busk
jackbp
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jackbp
I've been doing 3 or 4 Greg Irwin excersices twice a day for a month now and have already noticed a difference, plus you can do them when you'd otherwise be doing nothing (i.e. sitting in traffic). Keeping a coing close to hand (pun intended) to practice holding a classic palm regularly will also help develop the right muscles.
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
You might also consider practicing sleights related to other types of magic. For example, in addition to practicing with coins, I do some one-handed cuts with a pack of cards (the type that really stretch your hand out, or require some careful finger positioning) and one-handed shuffles, that sort of thing. I found some billiard ball sleights (ball roll and some shell manipulations) exercise my hands in a different way, as well.

My idea here is like doing calisthenics - trying to exercise the hand in many different ways, to increase strength and flexibility.

And of course, it feeds my OCD compulsion to be doing something with my hands ... -)

Larry
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
Great page to find...thanks folk!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Exercises for Hands (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL