The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Lottery Ticket Illusion by Nate Staniforth (Limited Release) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
You may be confusing what knowledge you personally possessed before you purchased the book, and what knowledge a number of people you don't know, and have never met might already have.

It is important to enjoy your purchases though, which you obviously do!
All the best.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 17:38, Artie Fufkin wrote:
You may be confusing what knowledge you personally possessed before you purchased the book, and what knowledge a number of people you don't know, and have never met might already have.

It is important to enjoy your purchases though, which you obviously do!
All the best.


I don't want to discuss the method but Artie one thing you may have noticed in the posts by the purchasers (including me) is that we got much much more out of the book than just the Lottery Illusion. The book has had a profound effect on many of its owners. I know you have stated that you believe this is people rationalizing their purchase but keep in mind two things: 1) I have purchased a lot of mentalism in my time. Trust me--I have been taken to the cleaners before and did not try to rationalize it. If I didn't think this was special, I wouldn't say it was the case and 2) it may be possible that people who bought it and posted their feelings are just being honest. Just my 2 cents.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Brehaut, I wan't being at all glib when I stated that not only is it important to enjoy ones purchase generally, but that I was pleased to see people felt thIs purchase specifically was one of the best they'd recently made.

And although that doesn't change my initial point about endless overstatement from obvious newcomers, I'll give you that sometimes excitement takes over and overstatement follows.

I believe that the tendency to equate "high cost" or exclusivity with quality in magic is all too common, and rarely, if ever accurate.
I also believe that to blindly presume (I'm certainly not talking about you here) that one can "know" what level of knowledge any given serious and experienced magician or mentalist might have sans the need to purchase any more books implies inexperience.

I do hear what you're saying though, in that the book contains much more for its readers than just the Lottery Illusion.
Brian M.
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Brian M.
Artie, it's obvious that you did not buy the book. So, how can you say that the methodolgies are common knowledge amongst well read magicians/mentalists if you don't actually know what's in the book?

I can only assume that your statement "unless you want to betray yourself as a total newb, chill on the overstatement" was directed at me since you posted immediately after me. It looks like you joined the Café in 2010 and have racked up 236 posts. I joined in '04 and this is my 20th post. Why the discrepancy? Well, I've been too busy performing for a living.


Not looking to start an argument. Just wanted to point out that number of posts don't necessarily correlate to the experience level of the performer/poster.

Based on my average and the fact that this is my 2nd post in 3 days, expect my next post in 10 months. ;-)
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Nah, I commented on your post only about not worrying about exposure Brian, but beyond that I wasn't referring to you at all.
(as a matter of fact I thought your warning about folks fishing for information was 100% spot on.)

Much like "high price" and "exclusivity", things like "post count" and "year joined" have nothing to do with anything IMO.

I really don't need the book in my hands to comment on the principals and methodologies behind the various effects referenced in it.
Although the book may be excellent, and the readers and owners may feel the presentations to be groundbreaking, the concept of buying a book to buy a secret(s), and if you don't have the book you don't have the secret(s) is highly presumptuous to say the least.
(it's probably worth noting that I'm not at all laying claim to the ability to repeat the contents of the book verbatim, nor am I claiming to be in possession of each and every nugget contained within the book).

That you may feel the need to buy the book in order to better clarify those same principals and methods, and that you enjoy your purchase is strictly your business, much as my own comments and concerns are my business, but regardless, I commend you on making a purchase you feel good about making.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I'm sorry some folks, such as Artie, were unable to acquire a copy of this book. The bottom line is that the book is excellent and the insights are groundbreaking. In order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it to uncover each and every nugget (which is pure gold, by the way) contained within the book.

Regards,
Mike
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Don't feel sorry for me Mike, I was never in the market for the book, or the information contained within.

That kind of thinking put forth in Nate's book is well established, with some of the concepts over 100 years old.

I would disagree only slightly with your statement that In order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it , and I would re-state it as "if you purchased this book, then you understand the cash value of it"

But in the end, enjoying your book is all that matters.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Hi Artie,

Agreed that enjoying the book is something that truly matters---but this book has done more than just provide enjoyment. Indeed, it has educated, entertained, and inspired...yes, INSPIRED, its readers. And I do stand by my statement that in order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it. Nonetheless, I accept your own opinion regarding the book from a non-owner perspective.

Regards,
Mike
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 12:02, insight wrote:
Hi Artie,

Agreed that enjoying the book is something that truly matters---but this book has done more than just provide enjoyment. Indeed, it has educated, entertained, and inspired...yes, INSPIRED, its readers. And I do stand by my statement that in order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it. Nonetheless, I accept your own opinion regarding the book from a non-owner perspective.

Regards,
Mike
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 10:07, Artie Fufkin wrote:
Don't feel sorry for me Mike, I was never in the market for the book, or the information contained within.

That kind of thinking put forth in Nate's book is well established, with some of the concepts over 100 years old.

I would disagree only slightly with your statement that In order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it , and I would re-state it as "if you purchased this book, then you understand the cash value of it"

But in the end, enjoying your book is all that matters.


I would quarrel with the statement about the concepts being a 100 year old. Almost any effect someone could say that. This effect does not strike me as something I would describe as being around for years.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Without getting into excessive detail, I'd suggest that in this case (as in many cases) the "effect" is something the spectators experience only in their own minds.
Nate's "effect" is no doubt unique to the various background activities used to generate a final result.

What I've been referring to is the methods and principals used to prepare the billet itself, and then get that appropriate billet to the right place onstage, and then into the spectators hands for the final phase of the "effect" to take place.

But it matters not!, as the book is completely sold out (according to the author, never to be re-released) and only a few copies to date have shown up for re-sale.
I would posit that for those who might want to perform something similar to this, they're on their own to research and ultimately to routine something of their own invention, and no doubt unique "effect".
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of guyactor
I am an owner of this book. It's time to put to rest the posting of hints, possibilities, 'past methods', etc!
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
@guyactor
I am also an owner of this book.
I agree with you.
So why make this post?
The last post was almost two months ago...
Your comment only brings the subject back up again.
Let this thread die.
zoltan
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of zoltan
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 18:02, Artie Fufkin wrote:

I wouldn't worry about exposure, as the principals behind this kind of "backstage prep", "onstage prep", "double switch" effect are decades, if not centuries old. ("oh look, somebody is bringing a microphone onstage to use later").

Most of the posts in this thread are by folks who've already bought the book trying very hard to feel good about purchasing it.
I'm sure the majority of the folks on the Café are pleased that you're all happy with your purchase, but it also seems that most posting to this thread are seriously prone to overstatement as to the "exclusivity" of the information they believe they now possess.

Most serious magicians and/or mentalists are already very well versed in this type of methodology (methodologies actually, as there are multiple methods that can be used to accomplish the effect(s) referenced in this book).

Congratulations to those who bought the book, and please DO enjoy your book (but unless you want to betray yourself as a total newb, chill on the overstatement).



OK - I'm usually pretty hopeless at working out magic tricks but have just watched the video a few times and have to agree that there doesn't seem to be much mystery to this one. We all know real magic doesn't exist and there is a method to everything. Given the additional spend required and an assistant I think it's pretty obvious how this is done. As for the book providing a new level of enlightenment - maybe - I guess I'll never know but think that Artie may have hit the nail right on the head here.
I say in 200 words what most people say in 20.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2012-11-20 14:44, zoltan wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 18:02, Artie Fufkin wrote:

I wouldn't worry about exposure, as the principals behind this kind of "backstage prep", "onstage prep", "double switch" effect are decades, if not centuries old. ("oh look, somebody is bringing a microphone onstage to use later").

Most of the posts in this thread are by folks who've already bought the book trying very hard to feel good about purchasing it.
I'm sure the majority of the folks on the Café are pleased that you're all happy with your purchase, but it also seems that most posting to this thread are seriously prone to overstatement as to the "exclusivity" of the information they believe they now possess.

Most serious magicians and/or mentalists are already very well versed in this type of methodology (methodologies actually, as there are multiple methods that can be used to accomplish the effect(s) referenced in this book).

Congratulations to those who bought the book, and please DO enjoy your book (but unless you want to betray yourself as a total newb, chill on the overstatement).



OK - I'm usually pretty hopeless at working out magic tricks but have just watched the video a few times and have to agree that there doesn't seem to be much mystery to this one. We all know real magic doesn't exist and there is a method to everything. Given the additional spend required and an assistant I think it's pretty obvious how this is done. As for the book providing a new level of enlightenment - maybe - I guess I'll never know but think that Artie may have hit the nail right on the head here.


If you are hopeless at working out magic tricks but think you know all about this one, Im guessing you are wrong. But hopefully you will use your knoweldge and perform this. It is something that spectators remember for the rest of their lives.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2204 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
This is a great effect, very clean.

If you don't have the money to spend on this plus the special device, may I suggest picking up Scott Creaseys Psi-Lotto, available from Library.com.

Just brilliant!

You can use a genuine lotto ticket as well.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
mpilkey
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of mpilkey
I wish I had gotten a copy. It looks great. Maybe it will get re release one day
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Lottery Ticket Illusion by Nate Staniforth (Limited Release) (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL