The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Derren Brown will play Russian Roulette, Live, tonight at 9pm (UK) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

placebo
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of placebo
Derren Brown will tonight play Russian Roulette, live, with a member of the public he has specifically chosen himself.

See here for more details:

Click Here!

Can't wait to watch.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Kudos to DB for getting a lot of free publicity.

Seems he's got a lot of people convnvinced it's not just an illusion.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
First rate! It was an absolutely wonderful piece of polished TV production from first to last, and the entire production crew should be very proud of this. I thought it worked on every level, and as soon as it was over a (lay) friend of mine phoned to say she thought it was one of the most exciting, gripping, must-see pieces of television ever. Excellent stuff!
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
placebo
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of placebo
Amazing, absolutely amazing. I don't remember the last time I was so nervous.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
580 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Why did he shoot at the target??? I thought he messed up! He just sat there for about a minute doing nothing. I guess/hope that was just to build suspense.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
Yeah that was quite fnny when he just there for what seemed eternity. He shot the target cos he supposedly guessed when where the bullet was. Did anyone actually think this was real?
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Very cool. Nearly forgot about the whole thing, glad I didn't. (was in pub, even managed to get them to turn football off to see it! ,now that's magic). I know where you're coming from Nick but I suppose the whys and hows are best discussed in a less public section of the Café forum. I think it's OK to ask this though:
Are you not thinking about the whole thing twice as much as you would've been had he not fired the other bullet?

Stayed tuned to watch Ian bending spoons. It's just a pity I'm far to much in awe of the man to be brave enough to make any hairstyle jokes.
Dr_Gonzo
View Profile
New user
Brighton
22 Posts

Profile of Dr_Gonzo
The DB show was excellent, he really sold it IMO. The show was interesting, as well as being build up to the event itself. Also, the magick show afterwards was very good.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
580 Posts

Profile of Nick23
I cant believe all the negative media coverage of this... all these people saying it should be stopped etc.

I remember seeing someone play russian roulette on the paul daniels magic show years ago. The magician had 6 riffles, 5 real bullets and 1 blank. 5 were aimed at targets and one at his head. No one seemed to care much about that performance.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Oh Jeez... you tellin' me that there's TWO DB's in England?

Well, I guess we can tell who's the more exciting one.

Anyone know if us Yanks will get a chance to see this?
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
The show was really well presented as has been mentioned and the build-up was very entertaining. However, most laypeople I have spoken to about this commented that there was no way he would actually die and there's no way C4 would allow it. So they questioned what the pont of it was.

Still it turned out to be very good.
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
I agree that it was absolutely so well done. So entertaining that it doesn't really matter if it's real or not.
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
I agree that it was very well done but my point was that I don't think many believed he could actually potentiall be killed and that it was probably a trick. Some of the sub-effects in the build up to the game were for me, more baffling.

Derren is of an interesting genre, sometimes he uses genuine psycholigical tricks to build up and illustrate how he supposedly achieves his effects. However, by mixing these with clever covert illusions and trickery matched with his lecture style presentation, he creates 'magic' of a unique and very strong kind. Though, I think this mix sometimes leaves people a little unsure of what he is and what it is he does.

His best and most bold effects could never truly be achieved by simply reading a persons actions.
Maxim
View Profile
Regular user
London
113 Posts

Profile of Maxim
It was a good show. It would've been even better if he hadn't rushed it in the end after his long pause. He should have put the gun with the bullet to his head and then suddenly he could've changed his mind and shot it at the sandbags. Smile
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
Oh dear, so the papers say it was fix. That was the problem with this stunt. Lay people did not believe that C4 or the Independant Television Commision would allow a man to be shot dead on telly regardless of a ten-minute delay.

All of Derren's work to-date has been really well received and he didn't need to do a stunt like this. Now he is being branded a fraud.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Yeah I read something along those lines in one of the tabloids. I had to laugh, it said like "the gun was loaded with a harmless blank".

Firing a blank at 0 range into the side of your head, harmless? You try it Mr Reporter. I think they're missing the point.
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
Magicgeorge, point is people didn't believe it. Magicians really liked it, but the public did not believe that he would ever have been allowed to risk his life.
MagicSquare
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
60 Posts

Profile of MagicSquare
Channel 4 news in the UK has also just reported the "only a trick" story.

The source seems to be a police officer who has confirmed that there was no real danger, and that no firearms laws were breached.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Derren Brown will play Russian Roulette, Live, tonight at 9pm (UK) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL