The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dual Edge By Rus Andrews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Yes Christopher, I take your point but also see it from the other side. Russ had an effect called Duel and in a (according to Mark)phone conversation with Mark about the effect, Mark suggested to Russ using different colored backs for the prediction cards. Russ liked it and asked Mark for permission to use it. Mark gave that permission and Russ went ahead and released it giving Mark a credit on the DVD. Now at best you could say there has been a misunderstanding. What surely can't be justified is all this talk and innuendo about stealing and ripping off. Nothing was stolen or ripped off but that's now the impression this is leaving people with. I think you can sympathize with that Christopher.

best
Sean
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-06-06 18:03, enigmagik32 wrote:
Sean, how do you know what was mentioned during my private phone call with Rus?

er, you posted the following a couple of hours ago...

'On the 15th february rus andrews phoned me and we got talking about his routine Duel which I had heard about from other magicians I liked it. But told Rus my version of the 2 odd backed cards and the blank deck finish, he liked it a lot and was at the time in talks with RSVP in doing a DVD and asked if he could use my variation along side other routines for inclusion In a MULTIPLE effect DVD I said yes would be fine but Credit me on the DVD.. On the 16th of Feb he sent me his original Duel manuscript which had no mention of a blank deck.. '
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Hmmm, not sure Mark has accused Rus of ripping him off Sean, and I certainly didn't mean that Rus' had ripped him off, perhaps I should have been more clear, what I meant was he's been ripped off in the past, not here, clearly this effect is a joint effort, and that's the whole point, it's not been sold as a joint effect, it's got Rus' name on.
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
........and blank deck !
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2012-06-06 18:05, Sean Giles wrote:
Russ had an effect called Duel and in a (according to Mark)phone conversation with Mark about the effect, Mark suggested to Russ using different colored backs for the prediction cards.

........and changing the trick to a prediction trick an to use a blank deck, let us not forget these little points !

Ben
enigmagik32
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of enigmagik32
And the proper crediting and releasing my Routine to sell rus's original impromptu version as a single trick DVD

Click here to view attached image.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-06-06 18:12, Christopher Congreave wrote:
Hmmm, not sure Mark has accused Rus of ripping him off Sean, and I certainly didn't mean that Rus' had ripped him off, perhaps I should have been more clear, what I meant was he's been ripped off in the past, not here, clearly this effect is a joint effort, and that's the whole point, it's not been sold as a joint effect, it's got Rus' name on.

That's cool Christopher. It's just about context and implication. For example, if I were to say to you "christopher, I've been bullied in the past and I don't like the way you are treating me" then it's obviously implying something about you with out saying it directly. In the same way by saying that Mark has been ripped off in the past, in this context, implies something also about the current situation.

Sorry about the bully analogy, it's obvious nonsense but it's late and I'm tired and having difficulty getting across what I mean. You've been very respectful, and on this forum that's something I really appreciate Smile

Goodnight Smile

best
Sean
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
I'm with you Sean, I certainly didn't mean to imply anything about Rus, as I said, I consider him a friend. It's too late to do anything now anyway, I really think that a bit more communication between Rus, Mark and the producer could have prevented this.

Anyway, over and out.
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2012-06-06 18:38, Christopher Congreave wrote:
I'm with you Sean, I certainly didn't mean to imply anything about Rus, as I said, I consider him a friend. It's too late to do anything now anyway, I really think that a bit more communication between Rus, Mark and the producer could have prevented this.

Anyway, over and out.

Yes there does appear to be some lack of communication from the producer, if it were me I would offer compensation to Mark and make itofficially known here of Mark's input on this trick, shake hands and move on, this is the least they could do !

It is a very good trick and worth more than the price, it is just a pity these matters were not taken care of during the production stage as it would appear you are all good guys !

Ben
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Sean,

As you seem to have taken on the role of Rus Andrews' sole supporter throughout every issue anyone has with him, I'd like to correct your statement:

"Maybe the problem was not that it wasn't a multiple effect DVD but more that it wasn't released by RSVP. And who was it that asked you to come and clarify? There more to this than meets the eye and politics in magic is not pretty".

You seem to imply you have inside information with the, "And who was it that asked you to come and clarify?". I'm curious to know just why that is? Maybe you can go into a little more detail? Just to make it clear, I have never asked Mark Bendell to come on here and clarify anything. Mark is quite capable of standing up for himself.

For the record, I chose not to work with Rus Andrews plain and simple before any of this ever happened. If Mark agreed to let Rus use Dual Edge, it was because of my relationship with Mark and the fact that it was part of an rsvp project. Just to make it public and clear to you, I didn't know anything about Mark Bendell's issues with Dual Edge during the incident with Jamie Allan, I heard from friends of Mark's that he wasn't happy about the situation afterwards and although I've spoken to him since about this. it was he that told me he was going public about things. His choice. If you know anything about me, it's that I'm quite capable of supporting myself.

If you want to draw rsvp into this situation, the one common link in all of this is that we have two magician's that have either worked for me or about to (Mark Bendell and Jamie Allan), that have chosen to because they like our work and know that they'll be treated fairly. They have both had their routines produced on single format DVD projects by Rus Andrews without their permission and that's a fact. Is that so hard to understand?

Our world is a small one and a bad reputation can last for some time. To prove this, Wayne Dobson sent me this clip today, made by someone that neither Wayne, Jeff or myself know, probably from another part of the world and put online some time after the incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgXMD6445sE&feature=youtu.be

Rus Andrews had every chance with Jamie to apologize, but he chose not to. All Jamie got was an arrogant email telling Jamie it was his fault and that Jamie should have told him he couldn't release his trick on DVD (even though Rus Andrews only asked to use 'a couple of Jamie's ideas" for a self-produced PDF called Numbers).

It's simply not right and to continually try and defend such behavior is strange.

Best,
Russ
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Hi Rus,

I'll try my best to answer your questions and points. I'm not very good with the whole quote/unquote format but here goes.

Quote:
On 2012-06-06 19:43, russ stevens wrote:
You seem to imply you have inside information with the, "And who was it that asked you to come and clarify?". I'm curious to know just why that is? Maybe you can go into a little more detail?

In Marks first post he said "Well I ve kept a low profile one the past couple of weeks and have been asked set the record straight on a few things". I asked him who he was refering to. Why that means inside information I can't imagine.

Quote:
If Mark agreed to let Rus use Dual Edge, it was because of my relationship with Mark and the fact that it was part of an rsvp project.

Mark seems to think differently he said "This has nothing to do with RSVP Magic, I am nothing to do with that company, I just did one DVD for them."

Quote:
If you want to draw rsvp into this situation...

I don't. I mentioned RSVP one time in all my posts. What I don't get is why that elicited this huge response. I didn't accuse RSVP of anything and like I said I only mentioned them once.

Quote:
It's simply not right and to continually try and defend such behavior is strange.

It's not about defending someones behavior, it's about calling it as I see it and I don't like what I see. Nothing strange about that. In the end. what did Rus Andrews actually do? He got permission from Jamie Allen to use his basic idea for Numbers, he had a lot of success and made it into a dvd, fully crediting Jamie. Then JA comes forward and says that that the permission wasn't specifically for a DVD version and only applied to an ebook. With Duel Edge he had a phone conversation according to Mark in which Mark told him the idea about different colored backs and gave him permission to use it on a DVD as long as he was credited. Russ made a DVD and fully credited Mark and now Mark comes forward to say that permission wasn't given specifically for a single effect DVD. And for these supposed transgressions the guys reputation is getting ruined. There's a lot of innuendo and BS going on and now you're even making comparisons to a disabled man being bullied with threatening phone calls.

And just to be clear, I don't have any inside information, I don't listen to heresay and it's just my opinion and that's all it is. Just my opinion and my take on the facts as posted by those involved. I'm not accusing anyone of anything and I don't beleive I ever have.

all the best
Sean
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Sean,

I too am not used to using quotes from others, but when you make a statement like the one below, which is not correct, then I will correct you:

"Maybe the problem was not that it wasn't a multiple effect DVD but more that it wasn't released by RSVP. And who was it that asked you to come and clarify? There more to this than meets the eye and politics in magic is not pretty".

I've said what I've had to say and won't be drawn into an argument with you. You mentioned rsvp and I replied to correct your assumptions. Mark Bendell, Jeff Pierce and Jamie Allan all have their problems with Rus Andrews and it's their right to express them, as I respect your right to defend Rus Andrews, even if you're wrong.

Best,
Russ
enigmagik32
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of enigmagik32
Sean Giles
With regards to fully crediting...

Where is MY name on front of the packaging I can't seem to see it anywhere, and yes as Ive said before there is a creditng section on the DVD and yes my name is on there amongst others but with no clarity to which (ALL) of the routine I contributed.

And Yes I gave permission to use my routine on a Multi-effect DVD but not as a one trick DVD without full crediting..

I have tried to keep out of magic politics but overnight I received emails to that fact that this isn't the first time this has happened. like I said I have no malice with Rus Andrews justing fighting my corner..

Mark
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2012-06-06 22:40, Sean Giles wrote:

With Duel Edge he had a phone conversation according to Mark in which Mark told him the idea about different colored backs and gave him permission to use it on a DVD as long as he was credited. Russ made a DVD and fully credited Mark and now Mark comes forward to say that permission wasn't given specifically for a single effect DVD.

Sean you keep omitting that Mark not only changed duel to using odd backs, according to Mark's statement he also changed it to a prediction trick to take it away away from a poker and blackjack trick, and Mark added the blank deck kicker finish, this is the very trick that is duel edge, which is very different from the original is it not ! Yes Mark is credited on the dvd, using you analogy then Eric Ross came up with the prediction bit, Daniel Madison came up with the blank back kicker, Dean Dill invented the move and Oz Pearlman put it all together and called it duel edge !

Ben
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 04:01, russ stevens wrote:
Hello Sean,

I too am not used to using quotes from others, but when you make a statement like the one below, which is not correct, then I will correct you:

I've said what I've had to say and won't be drawn into an argument with you. You mentioned rsvp and I replied to correct your assumptions. Mark Bendell, Jeff Pierce and Jamie Allan all have their problems with Rus Andrews and it's their right to express them, as I respect your right to defend Rus Andrews, even if you're wrong.

Best,
Russ

And I respect your right to defend mark Bendell and Jamie Allen, even if you're wrong. And like you I don't want to be drawn into an argument as its pointless so I'll bow out at as I'm very busy at this point in time.

Best
Sean
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 05:53, Sean Giles wrote:
And I respect your right to defend mark Bendell and Jamie Allen, even if you're wrong. And like you I don't want to be drawn into an argument as its pointless so I'll bow out at as I'm very busy at this point in time.

Best
Sean

Pointless for you but not for those who are directly involved, you have not answered my question, was it only the odd backs or the complete trick ?

Ben
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 06:16, benmagic1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 05:53, Sean Giles wrote:

Best
Sean

Pointless for you but not for those who are directly involved, you have not answered my question, was it only the odd backs or the complete trick ?

Ben

Hi Ben,

I meant that continuing the discussion with ME is pointless. It's obviously their business if they want to continue to flog a dead horse on the forum. And as for answering your question, I was discussing points that were made directly to me by those involved and I didn't get a sense that you were involved in any way. Like I said I have a very busy few days ahead and can only get on the Café sporadically. I'm also typing all this on an iphone which is not the easiest way to have a discussion. I prefer to talk rather than type.

best
Sean
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 04:15, enigmagik32 wrote:
Sean Giles
With regards to fully crediting...

Where is MY name on front of the packaging I can't seem to see it anywhere, and yes as Ive said before there is a creditng section on the DVD and yes my name is on there amongst others but with no clarity to which (ALL) of the routine I contributed.

And Yes I gave permission to use my routine on a Multi-effect DVD but not as a one trick DVD without full crediting..

I have tried to keep out of magic politics but overnight I received emails to that fact that this isn't the first time this has happened. like I said I have no malice with Rus Andrews justing fighting my corner..

Mark

Mark, I'm sure you're a good guy and you probably detest having to come here to defend yourself. I do get that from you and believe you when you say you mean no malice. I just see it differently and don't think it warrants ruining someones reputation over. And I'm not saying that's what you're trying to do but it IS whats happening. And for what? It's a misunderstanding at worst.

And I never set out to be some sort of sole supporter of anyone. I fight my own corner but do occasionally speak up if I think something's wrong and I think somethings wrong here. And from that I've been drawn into this bit by bit where I now feel like I'm defending myself. I don't like bad feeling, I don't like having a beef with anyone and I wish you all the best.

Sean
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Mark is clearly upset about this release, and he has good reason to be so. Rus, maybe you should post a comment on the matter (or contact Mark in private to resolve the issue).

Marty
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 06:47, Sean Giles wrote:

I was discussing points that were made directly to me by those involved and I didn't get a sense that you were involved in any way.

best
Sean

I bought the trick !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dual Edge By Rus Andrews (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL