The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is the Hindu shuffle worth it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
Hi Folks,
No matter how smoothly done the Hindu shuffle just looks 'fake' to me; no one shuffles cards like that - it just seems to scream out 'look here' something dodgy is going on. Given that, is it worth me investing time into the various sleights connected to the Hindu shuffle, or would I be better served my mastering the various overhand moves - which look so much more natural? Or am I missing out on something important if I park the Hindu shuffle to one side?
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
I just have to say I use the Hindu Force allot especially if I have already forced in a different method earlier in the effect. I have never been caught on questioned on it, like many other moves timing is everything, I never really give them a chance to think about it.
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
If you are new to Magic check out my article
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462185&forum=41
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a dark and a light side and holds the universe together.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3087 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
For what it's worth, people do shuffle like that in Asia. It's a bit more violent, but the style is similar. Dunno if that changes anything if nobody in your neck of the woods does it that way, though.

It's possible to do some nice sells on the HS Force, and it's not a totally unreasonable way to have a card chosen if the spectator is at a distance. Otherwise... meh, if you don't like it, don't use it. Offhand I can't think of any effects that absolutely require the HS.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
295 Posts

Profile of Kingman
If you do not feel comfortable with a move then it will be hard for you to make it seem meaningless to the spectators. Harry Lorayne, among many others uses the Hindu to great effect, but he has a way of making the moves unimportant so nobody attaches significance to it and it goes right by them. I use Hindu moves occassionally, but as with all moves there are alternatives and you just need to find the ones you are comforatable with. It is also nice to have an extra move in your arsenal just in case.

Kingman
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
Jim Oliver
View Profile
Regular user
Las Cruces, New Mexico
141 Posts

Profile of Jim Oliver
I tend to change up my shuffles from time to time during any close-up
performance, but the Hindu is still my favorite even after 35 years.

Jim
Ed Marlo rules
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5384 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I never call out that it is a "shuffle." I just offer it as a way of picking-a-card. It appears to be a fair way of selecting a random card, and perceived as such.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Richard Schneider
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Richard Schneider
Yeah, as Wizard above said, never call it a "shuffle." Call it "mixing the cards." I do this pretty much with any shuffle that's not a riffle shuffle.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1419 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On 2012-05-12 09:36, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I never call out that it is a "shuffle." I just offer it as a way of picking-a-card. It appears to be a fair way of selecting a random card, and perceived as such.

The Hindu shuffle is simply another tool in my tool box. I use it whenever I need to and as mentioned by the Wizard, I never make any reference to it being a shuffle. It is simply something I do to either control a card or force a card depending on the situation.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Pengnome
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Pengnome
Being able to do a variety of shuffles is good. If you are doing more than one card trick it helps keep interest.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Been using it for 40+ years with no problem at all. Force, control, shuffle...great and useful move.
Brad Burt
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I use it and have never been called on it, but I when I’m going to use it, I make that my “preferred” shuffle. IOW, I don’t just do it once at “force time”. Practice leaving the bottom card in your hand when you pull out the deck. It looks identical (from the audience’s perspective) to the regular HS, but you are able to complete the shuffle several times. It looks to them like it’s just another way of mixing the cards.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

O.K, I think the general consensus is that it works - providing I don't draw attention to it, and provided that I don't use it just once for 'a special move'. I guess the key here is naturalness, making it just another way I 'mix' (good word choice Richard)the cards even when I'mdoing something else (like talking etc.).

I've got so much to learn ... Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Jim Oliver
View Profile
Regular user
Las Cruces, New Mexico
141 Posts

Profile of Jim Oliver
Remember to study the Masters!

Both old and new.

Jim
Ed Marlo rules
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Ha - comedy timing: I was showing a few tricks to some people and I thought, ok, let's give the Hindu shuffle a test run since I've been discussing it on here. Worked a treat, both as a false shuffle and a force! Got good reactions, and even though one commented on the unusualness of the shuffle method, she said it looked fancy and it was how her uncle used to shuffle Smile I'll give this some more practice ... It's weird, but what looks odd to me isn't always seen that way by an audience ...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3622 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
" It's weird, but what looks odd to me isn't always seen that way by an audience ..."

Now you are making a very important discovery- one that took me years. HS is well worth not only practice, but trying in different ways. It is one of the best ways to split a deck, have the spec insert their card, put the top stack back on with a break and bring their card to the top. Also, try turning the deck face side up and you will find even more goodies. You are on a good path, best to you...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
The hindu shuffle has always seemed odd to me. My friend, who doesn't do magic, occassionally shuffles this way, but he owns over 600 board games. I wouldn't call him a casual handler of cards.

I think most people recognize magic is your craft and so they assume you will naturally be able to do things with cards that they cannot. I think this is why the hindu shuffle gets assumed to be as honest as anything else you are doing as a card magician, so long as you don't draw unnecessary attention to it.
epsilon97
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of epsilon97
I think that the Hindu Shuffle Force is too good of a force not to use the shuffle. It is amazing how easy it is to force a card using it.
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Thanks for the further contributes guys. I'm a bit more sold on the Hindu shuffle now, and am working on it daily. I'll try to take on board what people say.
Vu Nguyen
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Vu Nguyen
I can vouch that in Vietnamese culture, the Hindu shuffle is the way people shuffle. When I started magic, the standard waterfall shuffle seemed really weird to me. Now I can do both pretty easily.

What I find weird is when I switch between shuffles. It tends to make people really really suspicious.
MHamel
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
71 Posts

Profile of MHamel
One thing I see magicians do with the hindu shuffly is hold it weird elevated grip and then have the other hand palm up as the do the shuffle. This looks weird... I rarely do this if ever but try making it look natural. hold the deck in left hand and have back of the hand facing up. then deal the cards down on to the table. its the exact same thing but looks better. Now I know people already do this but you would be amazed how many people don't do this. Those are the ones that make the move look weird... but also it comes down to practice and handling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is the Hindu shuffle worth it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL