The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Retention / In the mouth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Hello everybody, does anyone do a coin retention at the mouth? I have come up with a way that I appear to place a silver dollar in my mouth, close my mouth, chew it and swallow it, then spit it cleanly out of my mouth, only to land at my empty finger tips.
Is anyone doing this or perhaps have a different approach? I performed this at the coinvention in Vegas as a joke! Yet everyone was so amazed I was asked to show it over 50 times. My joke became a masterpiece.
It was somewhat ironic! Yet very MAGICAL!
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
A retention pass in the mouth? Very cool. I'd like to hear more about it, if you feel like it. Can you pm me with some more info on it?

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Mickey,

Chris Korn does it also. He has it on his lecture video.

Dan
Click to visit:
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
I was having a drink with Chris in Vegas He showed me! He chewed on a tic tac. He did a great job. I enjoyed his company for he was a very funny guy
and a nice guy.

DAN, do you do the retention in the mouth?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Mickey,

When David Roth let loose his explanation the TJCrawford move... all of the kids in NYC tried it from all angles, into everything at hand. Purse frames, fingertips, mouth, elbow, jacket... we did it.

That was 77. Another generation is having fun with the move now.

enjoy!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Oh, I see Jon! Well that sure sounds about right. Thanks for the info! Oh, that's the TJcrawford move?
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Now that I've been thinking about it, I've been doing a sort of retention pass as if I was putting the coin in a purse frame. The second it goes in, it vanishes. I always thought it was a pretty cool little move.

-Bill
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Right Bill, act as if your mouth is a purse frame and do the same move. When you get it down, it should look great! Really. Practice in front of a mirror!
Good Luck
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Wow, that makes a lot of sense now. I didn't look at it that way. Thanks again Mickey for the advice. I'm going to have to work on that one and get it down.

-Bill
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Hey Mickey, I have not personally done it. It looked really wonderful when you did it at LVMI/Coinvention. You get an unbelievable burn as it goes into your mouth. You do it the best I have seen.
Click to visit:
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Dan, thank you very much for the compliment regarding my vision of retention at the mouth! From what I have been hearing, you’re quite the coin man yourself and also one heck of a nice guy.
MICKEY
magicbear
View Profile
New user
Bellevue, Washington
67 Posts

Profile of magicbear
Mickey,

We met at LVMI and I was wondering if you ever posted on this board. Showed coin mouth thing over 50 times. Way over 50 I bet! I think I saw you do it over 50 times the first night at Jeff McBride's place. Well, I'm sure I saw you do all three of your bits: human slot machine, in one ear, out the other; and mouth vanish, regurgitation for a total of at least 50 times. You are fantastic man! And funny! Keep up the excellent work. Hope to see you again at another coinvention; Maybe the LVMI next year.

Hugh Castell
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Thank you very much Hugh, I remember your wife and you well! It was because of you two, that I ended up performing for Jeff McBride; who in turn ran and grabbed Mac King and Jamy Ian Swiss, and a room full of eyes! Remember ( Ha Ha) What a night! We all had a great time. Hugh, it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife! You both made my night, really!
Thank you so much,
MICKEY SILVER

ps- true, it was over 50 times! my jaw was killing me(ha)
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Hi Mickey,

Kirk Grodske here. I must also compliment you not only on the skill that you demonstrated, but the kindness in doing it so many times, often at the drop of a hat and then going over the moves in detail without a hint of imposition. It was great meeting you and I hope to see you on the West Coast Magic Castle soon.

Kirk
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
MICKEY, that is awesome. I can’t do it, but I want to learn that.

The humor potential here is enormous. And while I prefer magic to comedy, you don’t have to slow the magic down when using this.

The patter could go something like:

"... and he told me to put my money where my mouth is, so ..."

"... I can't take more than a few coins or I cause inflation."

Combine this with Miser’s dream, ostensibly fill yourself full of coins, and tell the spectators:

“I can’t fly because I set off metal detectors, but Brinks is hiring me to secretly move cash on foot!”

This would also mix well with non-money magic.

You could also apparently put coins in your mouth and then use the old “streamers from mouth” trick. Or pull cards from your mouth. There is so much you could do with this.

How about ostensibly putting two quarters in your mouth and then producing a can of soda from under a handkerchief.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What do you think is best?

Doing the retention pass with both hands before one is near the mouth? Or do the retention with one hand at the mouth?
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
I have used the move ever since Chris showed me at a magi-fest years ago.
His use of tic-tacs and pasta to further the illusion are great. Wish I could have been at the coinvention Smile
Jason
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Hi Dynamike (LOVE that name, it's great!) WELL the answer to that for me would be ONE HAND AT THE MOUTH.
Why? Well if we use two hands, say the right hand puts the coin in the left hand (really retained in the right hand) then the left hand acts as if putting the coin in the mouth, once that left hand comes back empty.... eyes will NOT stay focused on the mouth, because the coin was never really seen at the mouth. Eyes will go right to the right hand, then back to the mouth, then back to the right hand, then back to the mouth and so on.
Using the one hand at the mouth, ONLY if the retention of vision is strong. They will stay focused on the mouth. What’s important here is to give the impression the coin is at the very tip of the finger tips (not the coin is in the hand.) Note… the only thing to be seen here is The FINGER TIPS and MOUTH, but most of all the COIN. What works excellent is if you flip the coin in the air before putting it in your mouth. It is VERY STRONG. DYNAMIKE, again this is just the way I think! Try it, you will fool everyone! (It was a great question.)
Good Luck, MICKEY
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-10-07 12:21, MICKEY SILVER wrote:
HI Dynamike (LOVE that name, it's great!)

Hi Mickey, first I want to thank you for complimenting on my name, you made my day. Smile

Thank you for bringing up the info about the retention at the mouth also. I never heard of it before. Now I got something to practice this week. Smile

P.S. I like your name too.
Smile

Mickey,

I heard a lot of excellent comments about your retention pass. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......2&12 Is there any way we can purchase a DVD/tape from you?

Help yourself to whatever you would like below, the tab is on me.
Smile Smile Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
So far I can't picture using a retention pass to the mouth. I am looking forward to seeing it done.

While playing with the idea I tried using the technique taught by Shoot O. at the IBM convention in KC. The one where your hand ends up looking like you are ready to do a doggie hand shadow.

So far it is just play and I have not shared it with anyone but the mirror.

As far a using a mouth coil, they do now have U.S. Dollar printed mouth coils. I almost bought some at the same convention.(Kansas City, July 2003)

Keep growing and glowing and asking what if?

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Retention / In the mouth (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL