The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Red & Blue Cards Across (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I was watching the Legendary Repertoire of Michael Skinner, vol 3 last night, and he performed a really nice cards across with two packs of jokers: four red backs and four blue backs. He first displayed the 8 cards, separated the packs about two feet apart on the table, then did a progressive "cards across/transposition".

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm looking for this specific one (if you know it), or something very similar. Obviously, it could have originally been done with face cards, red and black...

- Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Helder Guimaraes has a red/blue backs cards across in his book, Reflections. He also includes a very thorough and interesting discussion of various methodologies and the reasons behind the choices he made. Very interesting, in my opinion.

Jason
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I did happen across a version called "Transpo & Follow" by Sam Schwartz in Epilogue. Not exactly the same, but real close.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
velcrowe
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of velcrowe
I just got Helder's book, and have only read through the first effect description (the one Jason refers to). In this one, 20 cards are used (ten red-backed, ten blue-backed). Two are signed, and they travel across the room.

Jason is spot-on about the Helder's thoroughness. He analyzes a lot of other methods, explains all the nuances, and in general it is just a fascinating read so far. Clever, clever man.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2012-05-18 09:56, rickmagic1 wrote:
I was watching the Legendary Repertoire of Michael Skinner, vol 3 last night, and he performed a really nice cards across with two packs of jokers: four red backs and four blue backs. He first displayed the 8 cards, separated the packs about two feet apart on the table, then did a progressive "cards across/transposition".

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm looking for this specific one (if you know it), or something very similar. Obviously, it could have originally been done with face cards, red and black...

- Rick

Rick,

You probably have the book, but, in any case, I will have a look in Classic Sampler and see if what you are looking for is in that book.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2012-05-22 03:22, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-18 09:56, rickmagic1 wrote:

- Rick

Rick,

You probably have the book, but, in any case, I will have a look in Classic Sampler and see if what you are looking for is in that book.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

It isn't in Classic Sampler. Idk if it is in print or who's it is. It could be Michael's but I really don't know
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I have Classic Sampler, and it's not there but thanks for checking.

While I can't say for sure at it isn't Michael's creation, it is just way to close to the Gerald Kosky effect to be a coincidence. From all that I've learned about Michael over the years I've studied his magic, it appears to me that while he was a great creator of magic, he was more brilliant in his ability to create presentations.

This may sound strange, but if you knew Michael it might make sense (I did not ever get to meet him, but I feel like I understand him a bit through watching so many hours of video, reading his books, and studying his creations). I've also noticed that Michael seemed to have some kind of an understanding of magic on such a deeper level than most of us. It seems as though - and bear with me on this - he was able to look into the "DNA" of an effect, and manipulate it in such a way that he could get the most out of a piece.

That said, I don't believe this was his creation, just something he learned and probably "massaged" with the "Skinner touch".

- Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Anyone have Michael Skinner's Professional Close-Up Magic, Volume 3? it lists "Cards Across" on it ( performance and explanation ). I wonder if it's the same one as Rick is referencing?

Clarke
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Clarke, that's just a normal Cards Across routine, not the same thing.
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Red & Blue Cards Across (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL