The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you think "our" (the) universe is fine-tuned for life? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13..23..33..43..52~53~54
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 20:44, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 11:54, kambiz wrote:
... To assign them as simply human, degrades the intellect of the billions of people who have given their lives in love for Them, throughout history to be of less importance and lower than yours.......

Kam

To assign them as anything OTHER than human defies everything we know about nature, biology, logic, and the human propensity for embellishment.

I'm not sure that it defies everything we know about nature, biology, logic, and the human propensity for embellishment as much as it allows for the possibility that we don't know everything. Yet. I'm cool with that.

Quote:
Besides, billions of people "giving their lives in love" for someone is not evidence of anything, let alone that person's divinity.

Oh, c'mon: ten thousand housewives can't be wrong. (I know this for a fact because they used to say it in a television commercial.)

Quote:
. . . truth is not determined by a show of hands.

A shortcoming of truth that can hardly be blamed on Kam.

(Well, it's actually easy to blame Kam for it, but it's likely not his fault.)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What sort of person deconstructs Plato's allegory of the cave to merely inquire about how to make shadows?
A more insightful student might ask what the guy wanted back in the cave.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Can the real deity please stand up?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 09:28, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What sort of person deconstructs Plato's allegory of the cave to merely inquire about how to make shadows?
A more insightful student might ask what the guy wanted back in the cave.

Mr. T.,

The impulse is not to learn how to cast shadows; it is to meet the entity casting the shadows.

You are misreading Plato.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Let's just wait till we die to find this out. Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 12:12, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Time is running out. Won't be long. Smile Count on it. Death lets no one escape. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

How am I misreading Plato? Here's the source text:
From Plato's Republic Book VII (Translated into English ... )
Quote:
And do you see, I said, men passing along the wall carrying all sorts of vessels, and statues and figures of animals made of wood and stone and various materials, which appear over the wall? Some of them are talking, others silent.

You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners.
Like ourselves, I replied; and they see only their own shadows, or the shadows of one another, which the fire throws on the opposite wall of the cave?

True, he said; how could they see anything but the shadows if they were never allowed to move their heads?

And of the objects which are being carried in like manner they would only see the shadows?

What we "see" is an interesting construct.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 07:25, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 00:25, kambiz wrote:
I don't believe they are gods gdw....and I do believe They were human beings too. But the difference is that I believe there are twin natures to human reality, physical and spiritual. You, Jonathan, and Ron obviously do not....that is the crux of our differences I think Smile

All in good nature Smile

I'll leave my full position on this matter for you to read for yourselves

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/bic/SB/sb-7.html

Kam

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying about Jesus.
As for any twin nature of humans, they would still be just human, especially if this is what you believe to be the "nature" of human reality.
If it is part of our nature than it can not be more than what we are. Even if we are talking about rare exception achieving some perfection in a specific are of our nature, it is still, as you put it, part of our nature, and this they are still "mere" (hu)men.

I forgot about responding to this post gdw .

The Manifestations of God do have a human element for sure, but up until now the mysterious nature of their station was hidden from our eyes, mainly left to the interpretations of many who read anecdotal records of their lives.

However, now, the nature of Their existence has been extensively divulged for all to read and understand. I am specifically avoiding posting these details in here, since I sense most struggle with the idea that there is a twin nature to human existence, never mind the possibility of someone who has a unique third nature to Their make up and existence.

If you wish to read what has been divulged, it is perfectly within ones capacity to seek it independently Smile

Suffice it to say that They are not Gods, nor are they mere humans, yet can be perceived as both God and human at the same time....

(please read my signature below for a hint Smile. )

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I'm all for using the 3D glasses model of perception and presentation of statements/content. Rhetoric made transparent - or statements made plain in terms of what they appeal to - enthymemes in honest detail.

Agreed about a spiritual/sentimental/Greek Humors aspect of human consciousness that IMHO controls the majority of our experience along with some occasional input from a more "logical" function we sometimes call rational.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-06-15 23:31, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 12:12, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Time is running out. Won't be long. Smile Count on it. Death lets no one escape. Smile

That we can agree on. Smile

So no point arguing about something that we'll find out.

Soon enough. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you think "our" (the) universe is fine-tuned for life? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13..23..33..43..52~53~54
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL