The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Barry's Magic Shop Closing After 38 years. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
It's hard to believe that I've been going to Barry's Magic Shop since they opened 38 years ago. After 38 years they are closing. Read all about it here: http://barrysmagicshop.com/
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
976 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Sad news indeed.
Bob
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Along with Al's Magic in Washington, D.C., Barry's Magic in Wheaton. MD (and later in Rockville, MD) has been a DC Metro area magic institution. Barry's had all of the prominent professionals in to lecture, was the most fun place to hang out, and provided the place to meet with the best in the area's magic community.

Barry's was the first magic shop in the area to house a complete magic theatre, and for years Barry's featured the amazing Psychic Ghost Theatre production that earned Barry and Susie a nomination for the prestigious Helen Hayes Award.

Another chapter in magic in the D.C. area is ending, and it is a sad day for magicians everywhere.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Got Barry's email yesterday. Sad news.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Sad news when any brick and mortar magic shop has to close down. I always reget not getting to see the ghost theatre. I wish Barry all the best.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
467 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Any brick and mortar shop closing is a sad day for magic ......
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1889 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I will miss it dearly.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
waltsal
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of waltsal
The Psychic Ghost Theater was great entertainment. Ring the bell. Another magic shop closes.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4821 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Ring-Ring Ring ! Smile

Yea I met Berry one time! Nice Guy! Good luck!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Ruppenthal
View Profile
Regular user
I'm busy, so I only have
105 Posts

Profile of Ruppenthal
As someone who has frequented Barry's for many years, both in Wheaton & Rockville, this is very sad news. A great bricks & mortar store run by fantastic people. Barry is going to continue to be in the biz and work on new effects, etc. He says he was tired of the grind of retail after 35+ years. I can relate. Maybe someone will step in and buy the business (wishful thinking). A bittersweet time for magic...
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The good news is that Barry will still be performing and is hoping to re-launch http://www.BarrysMagicShop.com as a place to sell tricks he creates.
magringo
View Profile
Special user
Sad that all I have is a scant
578 Posts

Profile of magringo
I'm sorry to see Barry's close after so many years. I remember fondly and loved the other shop in Whaeaton, MD, when he ran the Psychic Ghost Theater - that was awesome. We'll miss you Barry, Suzy and Frankie (The Wonder Dog) too! Best of luck to you all now that you'll be back on the road again... What about lectures?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1967 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
As a kid I was a "regular" to the original "upstairs" Wheaton location every Saturday after my bowling league (anyone remember the old Wheaton Triangle Lanes?) and after a lengthy hiatus, became a frequent visitor again to the Rockville store the past few years. I can't blame them and understand the reasons, but it's still sad just the same. Lots of great memories including seeing a new up and comer named Jos Bema lecture at the original Wheaton store, to having George Schindler show me how to handle spongeballs a couple years ago, and just two weeks ago attending what will likely be the last lecture held at Barry's -- Aaron Fisher who I learned was a frequent visitor in his early years.
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
192 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
All the good magic dealers are closing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Barry's Magic Shop Closing After 38 years. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL