The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ever own a rat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-05-26 16:43, Michael Baker wrote:
God In His Wisdom Made The Fly And Then Forgot To Tell Us Why. -- Ogden Nash

;)

Michael Baker, thankyou for giving me another opportunity to post this video! Smile

http://youtu.be/2ytzaV95HZU
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The average life span for the common pet rat is 2 to 3 1/2 years. My girlfriend's two rats both lived until they were four.

Some rats have much longer live spans. For example, the mole rat (basically looks like a hairless rat) has been known to live for as long as 28 years.

It's recently been discovered that a diet of buckyballs and olive oil can double the life span of a domestic rat.

http://www.gizmag.com/diet-buckyballs-ex......n/22245/
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
The carbon spheres?
How could they live on that?

I'm a former Snake owner so I have owned rats.
They were cute (too cute) but they did smell.
I decided to pay the pet shop prices so I wouldn't have to know them.

-Mary Mowder
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-27 15:50, Mary Mowder wrote:
The carbon spheres?
How could they live on that?

I'm a former Snake owner so I have owned rats.
They were cute (too cute) but they did smell.
I decided to pay the pet shop prices so I wouldn't have to know them.

-Mary Mowder

No. The rats don't live on them. They are simply added to their diet with olive oil. The original purpose of the experiment was to determine the level of toxicity that the buckballs would cause. Instead they had the opposite effect- no toxicity at all, but the life span of the rats nearly doubled.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks for that info, Bob. I don't know about the buckyballs, but I can certainly add olive oil to the rats diet.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
It's not a rat...it's a hamster! Smile
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I have always had hairless pet rats for the past ten years or so up until my most recent two died this past spring. They were brothers. Still looking to get some new ones, but the hairless variety are very hard to find. Mine have lived usually for 2 to 3 years. They have died from tumors or just from old age. I've had a couple rats in the past whose back legs gave out and would no longer work. They were still able to get around but had to "drag" themselves with their front legs. Back leg failure is common, I guess. So are the tumors. Best pets in the world!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2012-05-26 21:03, Futureal wrote:
I had a rat for a few years, they make good pets. My wife however would probably move out instantly if I got another one.

She must not have met you yet. Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Once I think, I owned a rat. It may have been a mouse though thinking about it, with a long tail. I just remember the mice or rats were cannibals. A bloody mess in that aquarium it was.

Decomposing into Rat Waste
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I think Rats and Mice have a certain concentration of population which will trigger this behavior.

I don't think this is their natural way if they have the room that their inner brain finds acceptable.

I sometimes wonder If Humans have a similar crazy threshold in population concentration.

-Mary Mowder
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-28 18:11, Decomposed wrote:
Once I think, I owned a rat. It may have been a mouse though thinking about it, with a long tail. I just remember the mice or rats were cannibals. A bloody mess in that aquarium it was.

Decomposing into Rat Waste

This is really not as unusual as you might think. If one animal in a group has a seizure or something similar, the others will likely attack it and, in many cases, even cannibalize it.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Never kept rats, but had mice. The mice will cannibalize newborns if stressed. Very high-strung little animals. Prey to just about everybody else. Must worry them.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
As far as the buckyball story is concerned, note that 67% of the rats who received supplemental olive oil alone lived as long as 100% of the rats who received the C60 buckyballs in olive oil. I will comment at greater length after I digest the original article.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have only owned a rat long enough to feed my to my snake.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Quote:
On 2012-05-27 09:32, Octopus Sun wrote:
Our 3 bearded dragons love to eat baby rats

We used to feed pinkies to our bearded dragons too until the vet pointed out that they have almost no nutritional value for them. Now they get crickets as treats and it gives them some exercise because otherwise they're basically, well, rocks.

All this talk of rats dying of tumors only goes to validate a theory I've been putting forth for twenty years. When you want to prove a product is good for you, it's given to rabbits, monkeys and dogs. When you want to prove something, ANYTHING, is bad, give it to a rat and it gets cancer. Ergo, rats cause cancer.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ever own a rat? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL