The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Pack Flat Play Big Effects for Kids Ages 4-11 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I like cardiographic, sketch-o-magic, magic birthday drawing, mental balloon, superfrog, arm chopper, needle through balloon, cereal killer. They all pack into my breif case.

Hope this helps.
Patrick
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
I had 3 shows yesterday and texted my wife after the 2nd: "no more. I'm done. 41 years old. I can't carry all of this stuff to 3-4 shows a day! I'm packing flat." As if to punctuate that sentiment, my final show was in a basement, down two flights of stairs, all the way to the back of the basement. I am sooo sore this morning. And I have a few shows today Smile Smile

I carry one large case that goes on a luggage rack and a duffle bag that contains all the rest. I have two break down tables. So I'm wondering what everyone thinks about this? Will I lose a lot if I ONLY bring in an easily carryable case and still prop it on a luggage rack, but a WAY smaller case, and ask the family or venue to provide a small table? What happens if I ditch the large colorful props for kids shows? No more pizza box, no more Crystal silk cylinder, no more PB and J. I'd probably keep Magic Color Painting. But the rest. GONE.

When I open with the chop cup, it's wonderful. They love it. I pull Dlites from the ears. They go crazy. Comeback Bee. Comedy Ropes.

As everyone says, it's not about the props, but the personality and presentation. So home many of you workers REALLY do pack small? You ask the client to supply a table? Maybe you don't even have a sign because you carry nothing large enough to have a sign on it? Anyone?

Thank you for responding. In bed with Tylenol awaiting your responses Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
I'm 61 years young and in better shape than I was at 41.

Still I can do a 43 1/2 minute kids show out of one large gym bag.
Most if the space is for puppets.

Along with the packs flat magic are sound generators sight gags and of course a few harmonicas.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Don't forget the silk blendo with the hand dye tube.
And I also use the cups and balls simple version too.
Todd
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Dream Bag.

Stiff Rope.

For unique presentations of these two props, check our our Magic In You and Merlin routines (see website below).
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, frankieacemagic wrote:
Will I lose a lot if I ONLY bring in an easily carryable case and still prop it on a luggage rack, but a WAY smaller case, and ask the family or venue to provide a small table? What happens if I ditch the large colorful props for kids shows? No more pizza box, no more Crystal silk cylinder, no more PB and J. I'd probably keep Magic Color Painting. But the rest. GONE.

Frankie, using less props puts more emphasis on your own performance skills. If you can keep a crowd focused and entertained and create memorable magic and with smaller props, I say go for it!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
mpacyga
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of mpacyga
Tommy James' Comeback Bee is an excellent pack small play big effect. It takes some time to get all the moves down, but well worth the extra effort. Plus it stumps the adults as well.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
I had 3 shows yesterday and texted my wife after the 2nd: "no more. I'm done. 41 years old. I can't carry all of this stuff to 3-4 shows a day! I'm packing flat." As if to punctuate that sentiment, my final show was in a basement, down two flights of stairs, all the way to the back of the basement. I am sooo sore this morning. And I have a few shows today Smile Smile

I carry one large case that goes on a luggage rack and a duffle bag that contains all the rest. I have two break down tables. So I'm wondering what everyone thinks about this? Will I lose a lot if I ONLY bring in an easily carryable case and still prop it on a luggage rack, but a WAY smaller case, and ask the family or venue to provide a small table? What happens if I ditch the large colorful props for kids shows? No more pizza box, no more Crystal silk cylinder, no more PB and J. I'd probably keep Magic Color Painting. But the rest. GONE.

When I open with the chop cup, it's wonderful. They love it. I pull Dlites from the ears. They go crazy. Comeback Bee. Comedy Ropes.

Frankie~ I've been packing small and light for almost 50 years! My first season playing schools (full time) I carried a bigger case than the one I use now, but only because I HAD it,and, I was experimenting with a few props, that I THOUGHT I needed. I later tried a suitcase table. I red lighted it--weight! The current case is 13" x 20" x 8", & weighs a trifle over 22 lbs. Maximum set up is 4 minutes, and, I can do that in the car. I carry a waiter's cross leg tray stand, which has wheels. As soon as I'm in the building, I put the prop case on the table, and push it. The material in the case can play for Kindergarten thru Senior High School. The show runs 45 minutes, but,can be "padded out" to 60 minutes. The largest prop is a coin pail (8" tall x 5" diameter. IT'S THE PERFORMER, HIS PERSONALITY, AND PRESENTATION, NOT PROPS. Sell the client: YOU, not painted boxes! You need to buy my book! (Coming out this spring!)

I just noticed. Somehow, my response got between your OP!

As everyone says, it's not about the props, but the personality and presentation. So home many of you workers REALLY do pack small? You ask the client to supply a table? Maybe you don't even have a sign because you carry nothing large enough to have a sign on it? Anyone?

Thank you for responding. In bed with Tylenol awaiting your responses Smile
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

All of these responses are exactly what I was hoping to hear! Dick, I just performed a 5 year old Bday with a dramatically smaller, lighter case. The case is still big because my sign is big. But only one case and lighter. And I knew I needed to include he coin pail! For anyone interested:

1. Chop Cup
2. Comedy rope routine
3. Magic Painting with Bday boy (breakaway Crayon, Tommy James Triple treat wand, Dukes Dye with a Change Bag! Nomore silk cylinder! Now a change bag!)
4. Sponge balls w Bday boy
5. Comedy 3 Card Joe
6. Ketchup sucker vanish (where I'm ultimately the sucker Smile )
7. Comeback Bee
8. Misers Dream w/ Bday boy

One hour show! Small stuff. And Harris, God bless you, man. I'm NOT in better shape than I was when I was 30 Smile

Still not crazy about the change bag, though it packs flat. Can anyone suggest another way to go from 3 small silks to a crazy long streamer?

Thank you!!
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
[quote]On Mar 1, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
You need to buy my book! (Coming out this spring!)

Really looking forward to your book!
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
"Can anyone suggest another way to go from 3 small silks to a crazy long streamer?"

Here you go, Frankie:

https://vimeo.com/55562624

By the way, the music (uncredited) is by me.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2361 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Barry Mitchell's "Smiley" takes very little space, but opens to a BIG presentation on stage, I do the standard routine, which by itself is huge. But I end with asking, " Who would like a smiley of their own" and I have my assistant place a large 3 inch smiley face sticker on everyone, including adults, which everyone laughs when this is done. I use the same ending with a couple smile effects I have, but never use them in the same show, only one type of smiley effect per show.

Dave
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Blendo
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
One of the newest additions is the old wooden dancing man.

It's a toy
It's a percussion instrument
It's the 6 million dollar man who was rebuilt
Now the kids say he's the 6 billion dollar man
He's still travels in the 1960's small rectangular box.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Frankie, I can do a full hour out of my pockets. And when I say I can, what I mean is I do. I bring along a small case (somewhere between the size of a lunchbox and a briefcase) and the main reason is that I have a tiny PA system in there. I bring along a bigger case which has the three puppets. If I am doing a pure magic show I transfer the contents of the case into my pockets and travel with nothing.

For adult work I generally put my entire act in a small paper bag.

Packing small is an aesthetic choice for me. But it can be done. I am not suggesting you got to extremes, but drop the bigger things and substitute in some smaller routines, and see are you enjoying it, and are your audiences enjoying it. If nothing else, messing with our shows is a great way of growing as performers.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Well, that settles it. 3 great shows, experimented with smallish effects (in terms of packing size). Nothing changed as far as great reactions. I'm done with the large props. What's funny is I just posted about the need for a flashier opening! I think I'll be learning a color changing hank routine to open. Small, but visual.

Arthur, thanks so much for the link. In not quite sure that will work because the Dukes Dye streamer is super long. I can't hold that in my hand behind a hank ball. But what a utility device. For some reason, I always thought that was only for throwing into a Topit. Thanks for the suggestion, Arthur.

And thanks Tony! So do you have a sign with your name and all that? Or do you just put your stuff on a table and off you go?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Frankie! Apparently you saw my response earlier today. I'm glad! Somehow, it got deleted. I don't know why.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
HA! It wasn't deleted! Somehow my comments got inserted in the middle of your original post (which I quoted)! It must have been this $$%^&^&&^%%^&**( infernal electrisch peckenclacker!!!!!!!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
So do you have a sign with your name and all that? Or do you just put your stuff on a table and off you go?

I have a pop-up sign, but I don't bring it in to normal shows, just the bigger ones. And I can make the trip in one go, with the sign slung over my back.

My normal walk-in load is the mini brief-case and a folding card table in one hand, the puppet case in the other. I can sling the pop-up over my shoulder easily. I set up the card table, drop the puppet box on top, place the briefcase underneath, and I am good to go. For bigger shows I will then go back to the car for the two speakers. Two trips, I can play big venues with amplification. One trip, I can play up to 40 people (as I have a small PA in the briefcase).
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
Well, that settles it. 3 great shows, experimented with smallish effects (in terms of packing size). Nothing changed as far as great reactions. I'm done with the large props. What's funny is I just posted about the need for a flashier opening! I think I'll be learning a color changing hank routine to open. Small, but visual.

Arthur, thanks so much for the link. In not quite sure that will work because the Dukes Dye streamer is super long. I can't hold that in my hand behind a hank ball. But what a utility device. For some reason, I always thought that was only for throwing into a Topit. Thanks for the suggestion, Arthur.

And thanks Tony! So do you have a sign with your name and all that? Or do you just put your stuff on a table and off you go?

Frankie!!!!!Your last sentence above.....NO!!!! Do not put your stuff on a table and......

I NEVER UNPACK. Doing 13+ shows per week, I worked out of my prop case. It's all written up in my book.

The case is 'pigeon holed' with small paste board (NOT corrugated cardboard!) boxes from simple things like the carton that sticks of butter come in, ETC. The boxes are taped together with masking tape. Each prop has its own box. The prop comes out, is used, and is replaced. (NO "DITCH" BAGS!) Only a few items need re setting, and that reset is MINIMAL. I can reset the 45 minute show in 4 minutes or less.

I cover the criteria for a show that can play almost anywhere, for almost anybody, in the book.

>>>>>>>>>>>I'll PM you.<<<<<<<<<<<<<
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Pack Flat Play Big Effects for Kids Ages 4-11 (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL