The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Pack Flat Play Big Effects for Kids Ages 4-11 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Dick is so right. Stuff comes out of the case, goes right back in the case. No display of stuff. It is there when it is in use, gone when it is not. Not everyone will agree with that, but I love that approach.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks, Tony!

"Apparatus" (I HATE THAT WORD!) (It goes back to the 18th Century, when itinerant mountebancs "came in" to the parlor! They assumed the titles of "Doctor" or "Professor" and presented "A congress of cabalistic phenomena, experiments in high class prestidigitation, and illusionary science! Something new, weird, and wonderful! A sight that will baffle the senses, astound the mind, and mystify the human brain! Gentlemen, pleased, ladies, delighted, children in ecstasy!"

The proper term is "prop".

Unpacking and "displaying" props takes time and makes them VULNERABLE to kids, especially in party "situations".

I want their attention on ME! Besides, if you don't use everything in sight, they think you have not done the whole show. Remember, sometimes it becomes necessary to cut something! (time constraints!)

The Victorian Era with "at least one center table and 2 side tables, (etc.!)" is OVER! Strangely enough, dealers still advertises little tripod tables with black velvet drapes with gold fringe.

FRANKIEACE... has just "learned a good lesson" regarding "big props"!

THIS, is "lesson #2!!! >>>Walk in. Work. Walk out. Analogy: Which "makes" better music? A grand piano, or a violin? (It aint the size of the instrument! It's the artist playing it! (I "talk" a lot more about this "philosophy" in the book.)

Of course, it takes TALENT, to do this kind of a show! One of my booking sheets, showed me holding up both hands,palms to viewer. The "cut line" said: "With a minimum of props and a maximum of showmanship, Dick's show produces a maximum of "Ooohs! Giggles, Chuckles, and LAUGHS! (I got the "idea" for the pose from an old Oriental magician. I THINK it was Ten Ichi, but, not sure.)

Years ago, Bob Roth's "SOUTHEAST SCHOOL ASSEMBLIES" contract for magicians, stated: performer must have five tables on stage. A magician signed the contract, and had 5 "music stand" tables! Each table had A PROP! One had a piece of rope, and a pair of scissors. One had an 18" silk, and a glass. One had a die box and a hat. One had a deck of cards, and a wand. One had a coin bucket. He did a "hekkuva" 45 minute show. He ENTERTAINED them with lots of funny lines,and situation comedy magic. [ENTERTAINMENT doesn't "come" by the "yard" or by the "pound"!!!]

Back in the early '50s when I was booking southern U.S. schools independently, on percentage, it was necessary to show a "stage full" of props on posters. Like the banner line in front of a circus or carnival sideshow, it was needed to "get the marks" to buy a ticket.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 30, 2012, TrickyRicky wrote:
The professors nightmare also known as equally unequal ropes,the egg bag,cut restored rope, and the twentieth century silk
All props can hold inside the Miaers Dream Pail.
Tricky Ricky

Ricky! When I was a "working" act in a sideshow in the '40s, I carried a #10 tin can. It held a piece of rope, a few half dollars, a pack of cards. The Professor's Nightmare wasn't "around" yet. I didn't own an egg bag, but, if I had, it would have been in the #10 can, too. I didn't know how strong the 20th C was (yet!). Nowadays, it's next to closing in the elementary school program.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
[quote]On Mar 1, 2015, professorwhut wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
You need to buy my book! (Coming out this spring!)

Really looking forward to your book!

Professor! Thanks! Me too!
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
[quote]On Mar 2, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, professorwhut wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
You need to buy my book! (Coming out this spring!)

Really looking forward to your book!

Professor! Thanks! Me too!

Yeah, me three. Smile
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I'm looking forward to it too!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2018 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2012, MikeHMagic wrote:
I got Silly Billy's "Peek a Boo Bunny" and LOVE it!

Looks great, but why was there a cut-shot both times before the vanish? Is that hard to do or set up? I like seeing the whole routine so I do not get stuck with something that can't be done fully as shown, and like to see the entire routine unedited. So was just curious as to why it was not shown for the vanish? I got David's book, and DVD and love them also and this looks good with the exception of cutting before the vanish.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2018 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
OK nevermind I talked to David and he said it was simply cut due to time, as the routine goes on for awhile and is the saame thing over and over. Definitely getting this!
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Pack Flat Play Big Effects for Kids Ages 4-11 (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL