The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Steve Beam - Multiple Impact query (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I've had this laying around for YEARS, kept on picking it up, working through it, and getting lost... Finally cracked it - took it on holiday with me. Bee n working on it regularly for about 2 weeks now, and its been well worth the wait.. it's a location of 7 cards under completely random returns.

My question is.. I get it wrong on occasion..the required card is not next in line, but a low value of the next suit, bypassing the one ( a high card) . If you get my drift.. you have to know the routine. I can't figure out how this happens.. yet..

Anyone got any thoughts on this, or experienced it? It could, of course, be down to incorrect stacking in the first place...And it occurs to me there's a bit of room for little tweaks that I may be missing at the moment.

Anyone?

Tks

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
DCB,

Your new key card will always be a higher value of the same suit or a lower value of the next suit. It all depends on where the spectators' cuts occur. If the spectator cuts across the next suit, then the face card of that packet will be those new key card (and it will be a lower value of the next suit).

When I do Multiple Impact,, I start my deck in memorized order. That way, my next key card is between 5 to 10 stack values higher than each successive selection. But to use a memorized deck for this, you really need to know your stack values cold.

Tis is really a great trick, but it does require a strong confident performance. And frequent reps, since this is a routine that does not stay fresh in my mind.

Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Nick..

Today, I had another anomaly... I noted it down, but of course, had a tidy-up and can't find it. I do between 5 and 10 run-throughs a a day. There's a need to keep bantering while finding the key cards... and thinking at the same time. Takes a bit of doing to get it smooth.. best I've done is 30 seconds, but I'm mostly around 40 - 45 secs, (for 6 cards plus the blank) which is reasonable. Any faster wouldn't add to the strength of the routine.

Question.

When you say you start the deck in memorized order... not sure what you mean. I use the simple stack as in the description..4 suits in chased order. I know which card follows the next, and so on - is that what you mean? Or .. do you mean that you start with the blank card, (or AC) on top? The way described in the method? And I'm not familiar with the term "stack value"...so.. I'm a little bit confoosed... Smile

DCB
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
DCB,
I mean that I use the Aronson Memorized Deck instead of as in the description. So instead of thinking about suits and runs as in the original description, I am thinking about the cards' Stack Values. In a memorized deck (Aronson, Tamariz, Joyal, Ireland, etc.)' eac card has a unique Stack Value from 1 to 52. And the cards are in their Stack Value order. The cards look shuffled, but because they are memorized, I (mentally) see Stack Values when I look at the card indexes. Basically I am looking at runs of numbers.

The only thing that I can think of that might cause an error is if the final riffle shuffle is done with very uneven blocks of cards. I haven't simulated that yet in StackView, but I think that might contribute to some confusing runs.

Nick
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Nick,

I'm pleased to say, I found out where the error lay. As you suggested, it's the riffle shuffle. I'd been doing faro shuffles, but recently changed to the bar type riffle shuffle, and of course, it throws the sequence out, if it's done without panache.So, in performance, I think I'll sacrifice that bit unless I can determine who can do a proper riffle shuffle beforehand.
I've been trying to find info on the Aronson stack, but I gave up on it after a bit. It must have been awkward or expensive to buy, postage costs to Ireland seem to be way out of line sometimes. The only stack I use is the Si Stebbins - and I only use that occasionally. But, as you say, you have to keep it active, or it goes. When I remember, I run it through in my mind before I go to sleep. Sad, sin't it? But - never fails to send me to sleep..

Thanks for your help. Should be ready to take it out this weekend.

Regards,

DCB
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
DCB,

If you are familiar with my software package StackView (www.stackview.com), you can actually practice Multiple Impact without cards in hand or needing to bother anyone else to actually select cards.
First, after installing the software, download the attached zipped file below: "MultipleImpact.zip". Unzip the file: there are two files, StraightCHaSeD.svf and MultipleImpact.svs.
The first file is the deck file you need to use if you want to do the routine as written in Steve's writeup. The second file is the Session file that you need to load and run (after you load the Deck file).
The Sessin file will simulate all of the selection process and shuffling as written. You will then be presented with the resultant deck to study. If you want to not see the selections so that you can practice discerning them, you can turn off the selection display by unchecking the "Highlight Selections" box that can be found on the "Selection" tab in the "Stackview Control" window.

If you want to study the routine with a different starting stack (such as Aronson, as I do) you just need to load your deck into StackView, and then run the MultipleImpact Session file.

Nick

Click here to view/download attached file.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Wow!

never heard of that software before - it looks AWESOME - and that's about the first time I've ever used that word to describe ANYTHING!

Downloaded the manual ok, but I have a Mac, and it's not co-operating.

I have a 10 year old clunky pc .. I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks for that - just what I've been looking for, not ever thinking such a tool EXISTED!

Regards

DCB
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
DCB,
It may work on the clunky PC -- I hope so. Some have been able to get it to work on a Mac via a PC emulator called Wine. You can find more info at this link:
http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

I hope that helps.
Nick
mindexplorer
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mindexplorer
Deadcatbounce,

If you are wanting to try it with the Aronson stack and haven't found a source for the actual stack yet, you can find the stack for free on Simon Aronson's site. The document also has great information on how to learn a stack.

The link to the stack document is here.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I got it d/lded ok, thank you so much for your help! Bit busy at the mo, and it doesn't look like a 10minute read!

And thanks to mindexplorer, for pointing me in the right direction...whole new world out ther, with those stacks!

DCB
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Steve Beam - Multiple Impact query (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL