The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Larry Jenning's "Pass" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Larry's critique of other magi's pass technique is legendary. Do we have any video of him doing the pass?
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Paris Super Session, Vol.1 - as far as I know, this tape is not available on DVD.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thanks Uli!
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
I've seen it in person. But I couldn't PM you. If I can help, you can email me at syouell@cox.net

SEY
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
SEY,

Am I right in thinking that Mr Jennings structured his tricks so that there would be minimal heat on the pass?

Tom
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Actually I would say a couple things after having viewed almost all the video material commercially available wherein Larry performs. In some cases, such as in lady's Looking Glass, it's a Very bold use of the pass. In the videos I've seen in Paris and the Classic Magic and thoughts on cards, Larry uses the pass a lot and he looks to have massive hands as well. That and his technique and timing are great. He uses the "rock" in quite a few instances but he's constantly pattering and it's definitely done in a flash. Great examples, IMO, of a modern master of the Pass.

Dave
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-05-27 23:01, tomsk192 wrote:
Am I right in thinking that Mr Jennings structured his tricks so that there would be minimal heat on the pass?

First, I knew Larry but not as well as some here-- Dorian Rhodell was a student of Larry's. Second, based on what I know, I'd say that it varied. Larry was a guy who constantly tinkered with stuff and to think that he only did one pass would be a mistake. Take a look at The Collected Almanacand there's something in there called The Circle Shift that Larry would do from time to time. (I *think* that's the name of it.) To be honest, I've seen Larry do phenomenal stuff and then stuff that wasn't... too good. But that's only because he loved to tinker with stuff and try it out. He was definitely a great Cardman.

There are, of course, legends about Larry getting frustrated because someone wasn't burning his hands... so he did the pass again! But I wasn't there. I did put in a call to Dorian though and I'm sure he'll post in the thread soon.

SEY
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Steven, thank so much for contributing to the thread and your private e-mail to me. GREATLY appreciated!

Clarke
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
I was very fortunate to have Larry as a friend. I knew Larry for the last five years he was with us. At the time he was already having health issues that hindered his ability to perform the difficult sleight of hand.
I have also heard the stories about nullifying a pass only to execute it again when people were burning his hands. But, like Steven, I was not there so I cannot comment on the acuracy of that story.
Even though Larry was having some difficulties, he was still able to teach me quite a bit on several passes (among other things) including the Circle Shift which can be found in Jennings 67.
The best way I can describe Larry is that he got a thrill out of someone burning his hands and executing a sleight right under someone's nose. Alternatively, he loved to figure out how to minimize the number of sleights it took to make an effect as magical and powerful as possible.
Something I always admired about Larry was that despite his technical prowess, if given the chance, he would ring in a gaff (or gaffs) and absolutely fry your brain. The funny thing is that the use of gaffs in some case also required difficult sleight of hand!

I have so many fascinating stories about Larry but are too numerous to share here. If anyone is interested, maybe we can start up a new discussion regarding Larry?

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
christofferbuchholz
View Profile
New user
Denmark
4 Posts

Profile of christofferbuchholz
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 03:34, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
I was very fortunate to have Larry as a friend. I knew Larry for the last five years he was with us. At the time he was already having health issues that hindered his ability to perform the difficult sleight of hand.
I have also heard the stories about nullifying a pass only to execute it again when people were burning his hands. But, like Steven, I was not there so I cannot comment on the acuracy of that story.
Even though Larry was having some difficulties, he was still able to teach me quite a bit on several passes (among other things) including the Circle Shift which can be found in Jennings 67.
The best way I can describe Larry is that he got a thrill out of someone burning his hands and executing a sleight right under someone's nose. Alternatively, he loved to figure out how to minimize the number of sleights it took to make an effect as magical and powerful as possible.
Something I always admired about Larry was that despite his technical prowess, if given the chance, he would ring in a gaff (or gaffs) and absolutely fry your brain. The funny thing is that the use of gaffs in some case also required difficult sleight of hand!

I have so many fascinating stories about Larry but are too numerous to share here. If anyone is interested, maybe we can start up a new discussion regarding Larry?

Best,

Dorian Rhodell

That would be a very interesting thread indeed!
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Yes, please.
Shawn Evans
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Shawn Evans
Yes Please!
I took the Pledge

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm sort of a Larry Jennings nut, so I love hearing stories about him.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Ok, I'll start a new topic in the "Magician of old" section. That is probably the best place for this discussion.

Hopefully others who knew Larry can chime in and a fun discussion can take place.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Larry Jenning's "Pass" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL