The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Problems with Mind's Eye Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2003-10-13 11:56, Gianni wrote:
John: I assume your comments pertain to the marketed cards and not the homemade cards.
Yes, that's right.

Quote:
I've modified my handling along the lines you mention, with greater success. But not total. And I notice with great interest your last sentence: "...nearly 100%..." Any suggested approach when you fail?
Acutally, I hedged. I have had 100 percent success (after practicing the proper shuffling procedure). However, I expect it will fail eventually.

Quote:
I am considering a Kopy Kat as a backup.
Your idea of the Kopy Kat (or other similar method) would work well. After your glimpse or the first statement/question (about the lines) you should know if you are in trouble. (Although, I can imagine rare circumstances in which you won't know for a little longer. ) If you are in trouble, a good-natured laugh and a statement that "I can see that this is going to be difficult until you and I get used to each other," will get you past the failure. You could introduce the Kopy Kat (or similar item) with a statement along these lines: "Let's involve your entire body in creating the image. [Here insert discourse about about muscle memory, unity of mind and body, or whatever claptrap you think will work.] Here, after I turn my back please draw the image. Use large, exaggerated movements so that every cell in your body can "feel" and "envisision" the image. Focus not only on the image but how it feels as you draw it. Please be sure to keep the drawing out of my sight. Tell me when you have done that..."

By the way, I have let third spectators hold my wrist and "guide it" to make the drawing. This approach sometimes requires a little "shoring up." After the spectator pushes your wrist around a bit, you may have to, with their consent and approval, of course, add a few "details" to make it clearer. Yep, even in this event, they walk away believing that they have divined the drawing being thought of by the first spectator.

Part of what makes mental magic fun is dealing with the off-moments. And, you can always subtly blame and humiliate the specators for your lack of "reception." (Before the flames start: only kidding!)

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
I just received the Mind's Eye Deck and discovered that two cards are the same on some dimension but they should be different on that dimension. I am wondering if there are other problems like this that may cause the difficulty in shuffling the deck that others report.
Richard
TSpark
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of TSpark
Even though this string is dated, I should’ve read this before purchasing the Mind’s Eye deck. Sadly this is a brilliant idea but manufacturing quality is extremely poor. You cannot count on the basic principle. The spectators cannot properly, consistently and reliably, cut to the necessary cards, even when using all the nuances. This usually just results in complete failure. Many manufactures know how to successfully make this kind of deck. It’s sad that this dealer did not choose quality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Problems with Mind's Eye Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL