The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » GH*ST (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..15~16~17 [Next]
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
420 Posts

Profile of minty
Quote:
On 2012-05-27 22:10, Slim King wrote:
Sounds like something very interesting. I've never purchased anything from LC but perhaps this would be a start.

This was my first purchase from Dan. Really nice guy to deal with. I had the parcel in my hands the next morning.

Quote:
On 2012-05-27 23:06, Slim King wrote:
Will it be like $225 or something?

I paid in UK pounds, but it was certainly in that ballpark. Maybe slightly more. I honestly feel, given the quality of the book and ambrotype, plus the comprehensive Performance Manual, that it's easily worth that much. I still find its level of authenticity amazing.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On 2012-05-27 21:58, Godzilla wrote:
Looks Great,Prof BC!
If purchased,will it be sent from you in the states,or will it come from,Dan?

Gary

Gary, always the right question. Thanks for asking, this is important to know: I have currently aged 30 of the 100 books I have (and will be completing the rest over the summer). Of those 30, 20 are in London with Dan and 10 are in the states with me. I'll post to the Americas while Dan posts to the EU so we can avoid the customs costs and delays on both fronts.

Those who know, please advise if mailing to Australia, New Zealand, and Asia is better coming from the US or UK in terms of customs and routing.

I believe the price will be 150 pounds, which is (depending upon currency fluctuation) in the same ballpark as PHANTOMS and DarkSpell (Wall Street would say 'no price rise since 2010!') In fact, this is a much larger book (288 pages compared to PHANTOMS 144 and DarkSpell's 208) and is, in essence, a wholly faithful reproduction of the original 1904 printing.

I think also you are going to love the ambrotype. It simply looks haunted. Real etched glass framed in real copper (aged to a fine green patina) and housed in its own wooden case.

PM me for a full description.

Regards,
BC
Phasmologist
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
882 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
OMG, this sounds so cool!
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Hi Prof, from my dealings in the past, I believe shipping comes faster to Australia from UK rather than from USA. Will send you a PM.
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Seeing the prop at doomsday it certainly looked nice. When it was introduced as an early edition I could see a number of eyes glinting with delight. People were interested in the prop and were leaning into get a closer look. Prof BC set the scene perfectly talking about MR James. I went home and the Sunday and reread several of my favourite stories.
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
918 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Prof BC could make a sponge bunny routine, and I would buy it!
The M1nutes of the Ever1astin6 C1u8 is the best Book test out there!
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
420 Posts

Profile of minty
Quote:
The M1nutes of the Ever1astin6 C1u8 is the best Book test out there!

+1
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1026 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
The prof did actually perform a sponge bunny routine that he was working on, privately in the bar at Whitby. However, I had drank quite a bit, so perhaps my memory cannot be fully relied on. One thing is for sure, it did not grab my attention in the same way that this one did. It really is a thing of beauty. As soon as I get these ferkin bailiffs away from the front door I am getting one of these.
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
. . . that wasn't sponge . . .
Phasmologist
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
Nice nice nice!

Can't wait for it to be released. US shipping to asia is slightly cheaper compare to UK.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
It's live ladies and gents..... Let the feeding frenzy begin.

http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/Ghost%20by%20Prof%20BC.html
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
MatCult:
Impressive. You posted even before I could (and I have an inside track). You are definitely in the right field. Tell me, mental impression or Ouija board?

Yes, it is up. A few words to help understanding:

A) The price does indeed include all handling and postage globally.
B) There are currently only 30 ready to ship (the other 70 are on hand but require aging, which takes time), and
C) 20 are in London and 10 in the states, which means
D) First come, first shipped (10 to the Americas and Asia, 20 to UK, EU, Australia, and NZ) until
E) More can be aged (will have at least 5 more ready by Monday next)

Also, when you receive your book please note that the fore edge of the cover is meant to lap over the pages, this is called Yapped binding or Bible binding and is in fact the way the original 1904 Gh0st 8t0ries of an @ntiqu@ry was bound.

I have not yet spoken to Dan about a GH*ST chat room, but I will at least post new routines, ins, & approaches in the crypt here if nothing else--or possibly communicate them via PM to those interested.
Phasmologist
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On 2012-05-29 07:08, PROF BC wrote:
MatCult:
Impressive. You posted even before I could (and I have an inside track). You are definitely in the right field. Tell me, mental impression or Ouija board?

Ned Harrington and Thomas Arbuthnot told me they felt movements in the ether. And then Dan Lebanon confirmed that Gh*sts were on the move...
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Very impressive indeed. No doubt your day also began with tea.
Phasmologist
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On 2012-05-29 07:21, PROF BC wrote:
No doubt your day also began with tea.

Always. Smile
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Excellent as always PROF!
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
Ordered!
I'm a happy man!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Is it a real Ambrotype included in the set?

Thanks,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Jim? Here at spooky? We've been graced boils and ghouls Smile
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On 2012-05-29 10:25, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Is it a real Ambrotype included in the set?

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for asking. No. It is a 3" (77mm) sheet of glass, hand-etched with the image of the author and stained to give the appearance of an ambrotype. The glass is then framed in copper, which is aged to a green patina. It comes in its own aged wooden slip-box to keep it safe and also for use in performance.

The problem, of course, with real ambrotypes is that the emulsion is very fragile and can be removed with the careless wipe of a finger. Old glass-plate negatives or ambrotypes often have frayed edges caused by bits of emulsion flaking off at the slightest touch. I experimented with the genuine ambrotype technique and was unhappy with the image's fragility (even after varnishing using the time-honoured lavender and gum sandarac method) and went with the far more durable etching method described above so the prop could withstand the necessary handling during performance. The image supplied is therefore permanent with no worries about it flaking away or deteriorating.

(It is still glass, however, with all the fragility that that suggests, but the copper goes some way in protecting it from incidental chipping and cracking and I haven't broken one yet . . . Dan has, the little scamp, so it can be done. Replacements are available and they are guaranteed to arrive undamaged.)

Glad you asked. It was a hard-fought battle, that technique.

Now, someone ask me how I use the local confederate cemetery to age the books. You only think I'm joking.

Best,
BC
Phasmologist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » GH*ST (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL