The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » GH*ST (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
So Prof, how do you use that old confederate cemetery to age The books?

Above and beyond sir.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
So glad you should ask.

Those who know the old Athens cemetery across from the University of Georgia will know the old concrete and brick 'bench' it contains, dated 1863. It has the perfect roughness for 'sanding' the covers and spines before the colouring begins.

Therefore, every copy of GH*ST begins its life in an abandoned graveyard.

I think James would be, if not pleased, bemused by the connection.
Phasmologist
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've got one on order.

It's come just at the right time too. Got a gig at C@mbridge Uni at the end of June. This will be perfect considering the C@mbridge connection.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Roslyn:
Absolutely super timing! This book was actually written while the author was Provost of Kings C011ege, Camb.

Please PM me if you want a sounding board for your ideas for the presentation. Happy to help craft & script your special routine.

Chris Gould is somewhere reading this and saying, "There are no coincidences"--aren't you, Chris?

BC
Phasmologist
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi Prof BC,

I'll definitely drop you a PM Prof BC. Thanks so much!

I can't believe this has come up now. I was looking for a book test type of effect for the stage and stumbled across this on FB this morning and instantly fell in love.

The show I'm doing for the students is 45 minutes long and called An Odd Magical Adventure, this will just be the icing on the cake that no other performer sharing the stage will be able to top.

I'll be doing a few other bits, but I'd like to end on this. Routined correctly I don't think the personal touch this will give can be beaten by anything else.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
I suspect very much that you are correct.

Let me help . . . and I'll want to see the photographs of the performance!
Phasmologist
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
My order for this has been completed, looking forward to this one.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:
On 2012-05-29 12:02, PROF BC wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-29 10:25, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Is it a real Ambrotype included in the set?

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for asking. No. It is a 3" (77mm) sheet of glass, hand-etched with the image of the author and stained to give the appearance of an ambrotype. The glass is then framed in copper, which is aged to a green patina. It comes in its own aged wooden slip-box to keep it safe and also for use in performance.

The problem, of course, with real ambrotypes is that the emulsion is very fragile and can be removed with the careless wipe of a finger. Old glass-plate negatives or ambrotypes often have frayed edges caused by bits of emulsion flaking off at the slightest touch. I experimented with the genuine ambrotype technique and was unhappy with the image's fragility (even after varnishing using the time-honoured lavender and gum sandarac method) and went with the far more durable etching method described above so the prop could withstand the necessary handling during performance. The image supplied is therefore permanent with no worries about it flaking away or deteriorating.

(It is still glass, however, with all the fragility that that suggests, but the copper goes some way in protecting it from incidental chipping and cracking and I haven't broken one yet . . . Dan has, the little scamp, so it can be done. Replacements are available and they are guaranteed to arrive undamaged.)

Glad you asked. It was a hard-fought battle, that technique.

Now, someone ask me how I use the local confederate cemetery to age the books. You only think I'm joking.

Best,
BC

Thanks for the reply.

Photography is something that has always played a large part in my work and the
mention of a direct photographic positive being used in your work/product caught my interest.

Could not imagine you guys were going to such trouble for the price you are asking for your package.
Sounds like you have found a good facsimile process.

Gotta say the book looks great and for the asking price it is a value
if it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures.

Best Wishes,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
882 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Ordered mine
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
THE VAMPIRE IN ME ....BIT!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1871 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
This is every bit as good as it looks in the pictures. Prof BC handed this to a participant who knows the genre and he was holding the book with such care and attention. The process of messages on the glass is wonderful to behold. This definitely takes the genre to a new level. Hats off to the good professor!
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
626 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Ordered. The book itself told me to. I just hope it doesn't tell my wife... Besides, I haven't gotten a contact high from a new old book in a week now...
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
A quick question to those who know old books. If you had a genuine 1st ed worth £1500 how would you transport it?

Is getting the spec to wear white gloves whilst going through the book too much? I've never owned a genuine antique anything. So apologies if these questions are obvious to most here Smile
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
918 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 15:24, Roslyn wrote:
A quick question to those who know old books. If you had a genuine 1st ed worth £1500 how would you transport it?

Is getting the spec to wear white gloves whilst going through the book too much? I've never owned a genuine antique anything. So apologies if these questions are obvious to most here Smile

When presenting this, one could state that a "Mint condition Copy" Would be worth that kind of money, but due to the condition of the copy you own, it is only worth about a Hundred or so. This way, you do not have to worry about how you handle the book, although I would still handle it carefully.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 15:51, necroloid wrote:
Quote:

When presenting this, one could state that a "Mint condition Copy" Would be worth that kind of money, but due to the condition of the copy you own, it is only worth about a Hundred or so. This way, you do not have to worry about how you handle the book, although I would still handle it carefully.

Not sure I'd cheapen the book ... Gloves would be a genius touch ... LOL (Stole the idea already from a close friend)
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
Quote:

Valid points!
I was going to add,if you decided to go to the extreme of white gloves,you would need to give a new pair for each handling! No one wants to wear such items as gloves,behind others. At my job when we wore white gloves,we would mark ours! Handled many color standards,not books!
Gloves would make turning the pages a pain as well!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
918 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 15:56, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is getting the spec to wear white gloves whilst going through the book too much? I've never owned a genuine
antique anything. So apologies if these questions are obvious to most here Smile

Not sure I'd cheapen the book ... Gloves would be a genius touch ... LOL (Stole the idea already from a close friend)

As long as you are clear that it is one of your most prized possessions, I think it would not cheapen it. And, as any collector knows, condition is EVERYTHING!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Everyone except "plyuyu" has over 50 posts ... could we move this down below? plyuyu can catch up real quick Smile
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
I own several such authentic antique books and work in many library collections with manuscripts, quarto, and folio editions dating back to the 16th century. Some libraries do still require the use of gloves, but the trend is away from that for the very reason mentioned above: it is easier to tear a page if you cannot feel it properly.

I own an actual first edition of this book, in fact, and paid in the higher end of the market for it, but I have no trouble at all handing it to people who come visit. For me, it would be slightly insulting to ask them to wear gloves--and I would fear it would make them a bit clumsy with the pages as well.

When I hand this stunt book to my spec I do so only after announcing that it is old and prized. I then offer it with a gracious gesture and, as she reaches for it, I pull it back ever so slightly, look her in the eye sincerely, and say, "Please do be careful with it." Works like a charm. The spec handles it like a baby for the rest of the performance and, in doing so, signals to the audience how authentic it really seems to her. That really sells it.

So, I wouldn't use gloves myself.

Also, from a purely theatrical standpoint, you don't want the spec's white-gloved hands glowing like two beacons and stealing attention from your performance whilst simultaneously drawing constant attention to the book. The book should be backgrounded to your routine the way a good stage set should become invisible during performance and just be accepted as 'real'.
Phasmologist
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Thanks guys. All valid points and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I'm leaning towards not using gloves or other such things. As always you lot have been a great help Smile
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » GH*ST (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL