The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Would Love To Begin Close Up Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dave_ATC
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Dave_ATC
I love magic and card tricks, always have since I was about 8.

While not old, I'm 23, I was always fascinated by magic, and competitions, and documentaries, and always wanted to do it myself. Not really for a big stage, but for friends and family to amaze them, just as I've been amazed many times on T.V.

Close Up Card Magic is where I think I'd like venture, but I'm a little weary, because I don't have big hands, or long fingers like many of those who I have seen handle decks for these tricks.

I'm a big fan of Daniel Madison's work.

So any tips, books/dvd's video instructions to look. I perused the beginners book sticky above, but there is just way too many different options, looking for a general consensus.

Any help is appreciated.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1421 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Try 'The Expert at the Card Table' by Erdnase; 'The Royal Road to Card Magic' by Hugard & Braue; and 'Scarne Card Tricks' by John Scarne. This should give you a basis. Take what you can use and leave the rest. You are sure to find some gems in these 3 books that you will be able to use.
Mentalism in Ontario.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8482 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
My Close-Up Card Magic was written specifically for you!! Now re-written, etc. along with five other books of mine, in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
dattyw
View Profile
New user
How long is the fence?
53 Posts

Profile of dattyw
I thought it was written for me, Mr. Lorayne? I recently got beack into performing card magic and have utilized Close-Up Card Magic to wow my audience. Hope you enjoy it as well. Highly recommended.
David
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
295 Posts

Profile of Kingman
Trust me, hand size has nothing to do with it. It is all about practice and desire. I don't have large hands either and I have been performing nothingbut card magic all my magic career. Harry Lorayne's books are ideal for someone that wants to learn excellent card effects and they do not rely on hand size or long fingers. Don't let a physical fearture prevent you, ever heard of Rene Lavand http://youtu.be/GObRg5nEFp8

Kingman
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1421 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On 2012-05-28 15:58, Harry Lorayne wrote:
My Close-Up Card Magic was written specifically for you!! Now re-written, etc. along with five other books of mine, in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1.

Sorry Harry,

I have a number of your publications. I apologize for not citing your works.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1107 Posts

Profile of mlippo
For a good basis of card magic sleights, some good effects and some theory, get Roberto Giobbi's Card College vol.1 & vol. 2 (the books, not the DVDs!). I think it's the best way to start.

For some good effects, the cited Lorayne's book is a good choice.
One of the books I got when I started 30 years ago was 'Annemann's Card Magic' published by Dover. Cheap and has some good simple effects.

For some self-woking card magic, good to help you build yourself as a performer:

- Giobbi's 'Card College Light' series (three volumes)
- Karl Fulves Self-Working Card Magic series (by Dover)
- Bob Longe's books (by Sterling Publishing Inc.)

Have a nice time!

mlippo
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I started with Harry's stuff and never looked back.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Yeah, +1 for "close up card magic" by Harry and "royal road". This will give you enough to last years.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
First (as a trainer) many people put the cart before the horse...you need to consider your personal learning style. There is a general feeling within the magic fraternity that books are best....they certainly offer more bang for your buck. But you may find the Royal road hard going. Should you prefer the DVD route, at least to begin then I would recommend Lee Smiths STEP system. For books I would recommend Mark Wilson's Complete magic course...lots of pictures and easier to follow (imho) than the Royal Road. Harry's stuff is highly regarded but I have no personal experience. John Bannon's stuff is also good.

Am I biased...of course....but so is everyone.
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
Royal Road To Card Magic is what started me in card tricks with sleight of hand. It's made for the absolute beginner. This book contains some tricks in there that I still use. I know that some of these tricks were published in other books prior to 1948, but as a beginner book on sleight of hand there are some killer card effects. You can find this book almost anywhere. Try Amazon as it's under $20

Lorayne: The Classic Collection volume 1 is highly recommended. At first glance, you might think it's expensive, but factor in the fact you get four classic books that Harry Lorayne wrote in the 60s, plus bonus material and new updates to those old books and you'll realize the book is quite cheap. In fact, even if you only end up using two or three tricks, you'll have got your money's worth. So many awesome tricks in this book. I've gone back to this book many times and there's tons of great card stuff. I can't give enough praise to this. Volumes 2 and 3 are great too, but you have to start somewhere.

Card College volumes 1 and 2 are great two. I'd read these after Royal Road, but while reading other books. Even though you'll have learned most of the stuff covered in these two voumes in Royal Road, there are a lot of subtleties that will enhance the sleights you already know. Also, the 80+ pages in chapter 27 of volume 2 on card magic theory (which applies to magic in general as well) is a highly recommened read in my opinion. I was never too into the tricks on these books, but the info on sleights is indespensible for the beginner.

Other books such as Expert Card Technique, Card College volumes 3, 4 and 5, The Essential Dai Vernon, Best Of Friends, etc shouldn't be touched right away. Get to these great books once you've gained enough knowledge.

Remember, don't rush through the books. Patience and practice are key. I wouldn't worry about hands being too big or too small. Harry Lorayne's hands are pretty small and he can palm a card in different ways quite easilly. I have 'windows' in my fingers and was convinced this was a problem when I first started to palm cards. I kept at it and now no one ever detects the card in my hand.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
One assumption that people automatically make is that they need big hands/fingers to do magic. However, that assumption is wrong. Now, I will admit that some tricks and sleights are easier with bigger hands, but the key word in that statement is SOME. I have not come across a single trick that couldn't be effectively done without practice.

A deck of cards in itself is amazing. A simple thing consisting of 54 cut-up pieces of cardboard, and yet those pieces of cardboard can amaze, dazzle, entertain, and captivate nearly anybody. ANYBODY. There's a hundred lifetimes worth of magic stored within a deck of cards, and only about one percent of that magic has ever been found.

I hope you enjoy yourself with your new magical adventures. It's a blessing.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8482 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Interesting to me that some who "have no personal experience" can still be "biased." How is that possible?

Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
I began with The Royal Road to Card Magic. For the price (around $10) you can't go wrong. It took me awhile to learn of the Card College series. Even knowing the low price of Royal Road I would have started with Card College vol. 1 if I had the chance to start again. Card College is very thorough.
Dave_ATC
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Dave_ATC
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I really appreciate it. Will have to decipher and pick where to start.
Dave_ATC
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Dave_ATC
I purchased Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and The Royal Road to Card Magic
dattyw
View Profile
New user
How long is the fence?
53 Posts

Profile of dattyw
Royal Road is great. I go back to it and try tricks I never thought to use before and try to make them my own. Working through it from 1st chapter through end like a course was helpful for me and I've read other people give similar advice. Though that may not be to everyone's taste. Best of luck.
David
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2012-05-29 17:46, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Interesting to me that some who "have no personal experience" can still be "biased." How is that possible?

Oh come on, you would think I only mentioned your book in my post. If you prefer, regarding all the other things in my post on which I do have experience I am biased. Regarding Harry's book I have heard he has a good reputation but have no personal experience of his magic so that is hearsay (and inadmissible in a court of law).

Better ;o)?
AlexB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of AlexB
Here is another vote for Giobbi's Card College. The descriptions and illustrations are absolutely excellent. And the price is well worth it, considering that lots of single trick DVDs are more expensive these days.

Enjoy your new hobby, it's awesome fun!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8482 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Djurmann: Not really :o)!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Would Love To Begin Close Up Card Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL