The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3031 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Where is a good source to obtain chop cup balls. I need some that are shimmed and some that are magnets.

Thanks
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Me too. And does anyone know of a good dvd/tape for performing the Chop Cup?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13346 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Dennis Loomis is a good source for quality chop cup balls.
That's who I got mine from.

I don't know about t good dvd/tape but my favorite routine is John Bannon's in Impossibilia.

I have never seen another routine I've liked.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3031 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Do most chop cups have shims are magnets in them?
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Chop cups can be made different ways.
(1) If the Cup has magnet, then the Balls can be shimmed. Usually, it's just a matter of taking a normal ball and sticking a couple of short nails in it. Alternatively, you can put a magnet in the ball, but then you have to watch the polarity (ball and cup must have opposite polarity).
(2) Cup has steel bottom. Balls must have a magnet.

Needless to say, if you are using a magnet in the ball, make sure that the cup isn't made of steel.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13346 Posts

I think most sets have both the cup and the balls are gimmicked with a mag.

The loomis/riser set is different in that the cup has the mag and the ball just has a shim.

Most cup/ball combos are just too strong for my taste.

The best thing to do is to take your cup to the magic store and try out all the balls the have there and find something that works.

I've now opted to use 2 mag balls in my routine that way I don't have to fish for which is which. either will do.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3031 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Thanks for the info!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The balls that Loomis Magic supplies are made specfically for the Riser/Loomis Micro Chop Cups. We cannot be sure how they will work in other Chop Cups, so cannot guarantee they will work properly. We do guarantee that they will function properly in our own Chop Cups. And they are tested twice before being shipped. Once by Jim Riser before he ships them to me. And again by myself before I ship a set to the customer.

I also have switched over to doing my own routine with two magnetic balls, as mentioned in my instructions. The advantage is that you never have to worry about which is which. The only disadvantage is that you cannot legitimately dump the ball from the cup. But you simulate it so effectively that it doesn't matter. The balls for the Riser Loomis Micro Chop Cups come in a set of three: two magnetic and one not. That way you can use whatever set you want.

For those that might not have heard, I was in a bad car accident two weeks ago. I'm lucky to be alive as the car was totaled and also burned to the ground. (After people on the scene pulled my unconscious body from the car.) I woke up in the emergency room of the hospital. I have lots of aches and pains and bruises, had a bad concussion, but incredibly nothing was broken. The other car was ruled at fault. (The rear ended me at high speed.) I'm just getting back to work. I did one show so far and resumed work on editing of my Knot Routine DVD yesterday.

Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13346 Posts

Welcome Back Dennis. Glad to have you around.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL