The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Soo.. I can't get started.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anne
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
18 Posts

Profile of Anne
Hi all,

Today I had good intentions on asking some people on the street if they would like to see some card tricks. I failed. I always got a deck of cards with me, and I always lack confidence to ask people...

I simply feel like I'm gonna mess up or something, I didn't start too long ago with tricks, and well..
But how do I ever improve if I can't tell/ask people stuff? :/ And this is kinda the right moment to start since I'm still in Antwerp coming month for my intership, I don't have to fear I see any of these people again... Especially the ones on the streets. I'm also living in the centrum of the city right now... And there are lots of street acts, especially living statues..

Anybody got some tips? I know there are more topics about this problem, I just can't seem the answer working for me yet... Since I did read a lot around here (as much as you can read in some days), and well.. I still didn't find the courage today! Smile

But when I'm walking around with my pet ferret, everyone is looking, and I feel so confident; I answer all questions, I let her do some tricks if she wants to and so on... What's the difference? Normally I'm not this shy. But it's true people come to me when they see my little girl(s)..

Thanks for your time!
~Anne
Pengnome
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Pengnome
Take smaller steps, e.g. show tricks to friends, sometimes they will be with people you don't know so you can show them and build up slowly. If the next step is strangers then try to pick one you think would like to see a trick, take a deep breath and go for it. Could you do tricks when you have your ferret or is that too much of a distraction?
Pengnome
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Pengnome
Actually there is a thread with much more good advice here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=199&24
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
The difference is your ferret is doing the tricks and you are not.
And your ferret doesn't care if she looks good -- and you do.

There are two separate but connected issues: the confidence you have in your abilities to perform, and fear of "will they approve of me or not". And they will definitely feed into each other. You can know your tricks perfectly, but when you get into an uncomfortable social situation, you'll forget everything! Likewise, pulling out a trick you're not sure of can ratle you in the most secure situations.

You are not weird or defective or wrong - it's all a normal part of the process. (Some people have the exact opposite problem - they will bring horrible magic into the wrong situations and never know it!!) Start where you are comfortable and take it slow and easy. There is no deadline for you to perform.

Welcome to magic and to the Magic Café!
Ed :8>)
AlexB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of AlexB
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 13:44, Anne wrote:
I simply feel like I'm gonna mess up or something, I didn't start too long ago with tricks, and well..
But how do I ever improve if I can't tell/ask people stuff? :/ And this is kinda the right moment to start since I'm still in Antwerp coming month for my intership, I don't have to fear I see any of these people again... Especially the ones on the streets...

Here is a thought that you might or might not have entertained yet: it's true that you will probably not meet any of these people again, and so personal risk of failure seems small to you. But think about it this way: some people really like to be astonished. They are like children, they really want to believe that what you do are miracles. Those are our favourite spectators, right? Now, if you flash, you might destroy the illusion for them forever. If they notice your DL, they will never again be able to completely relax and enjoy, when watching an Ambitious Card Routine.

To me, this seems like an enourmous responsibility on us, the performers, much more so than my fear of diminishing my personal standing in the eyes of the spectator.
I am still a beginner myself, and I only perform for friends and family. I do think that I will eventually start performing for total strangers, but only when I am completely comfortable with my handling and can do it in my sleep. I feel that I owe this cautiousness to the real professionals out there, because they will lose a customer if I leave someone disillusioned. And this someone would henceforth live in a much duller world, where it's not card miracles, but just moves. Perhaps your fear of performing for total strangers is justified (only you can know).
Anne
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
18 Posts

Profile of Anne
Thanks all, you really help me out already Smile
I will wait to perform stuff till I return from my intership, I guess.. Since I don't know people around here very well, haha.
Guess you're all right; There's no hurry, I ened ot take my time and don't forget the responsibillity.

I alsoo think it isn't a good thing doing tricks when people come to me to see my girls.. Well, some people just want to take a look and leave after, maybe, if they are brave anough, pet them (yes, people can be real feared from a ferret..). Sometimes there are people who want to make a talk, if they look interested I might give it a shot once..

Does this sound right and fair so far? I hope so Smile
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
You need three things for a good magic performance:
-- A great trick that you know well
-- You are comfortable performing
-- The spectator is comfortable watching

As you get more mature in the craft, you find how to either work with and improve or work around any of these elements that are less than optimum. But in the beginning, this is what you should strive for. This has the best chance of everything going well, and gives you that positive reinforcement of "Wow!! That was fun!"

This is also good to remember when someone says "You do magic? Show me something!" If it's not going to work with all three of these in place, it's okay to say "No, not today" with no other explanation required. You do not need to excuse yourself ("I'm just learning and I'm not that good yet" or "I didn't bring any of my props with me"); you can just say "No" because you understand that it's not a good time. (If they insist, say, "Oh, all right - let me borrow your knife. Hold out your hand. You don't mind blood, do you?")

Ed
Anne
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
18 Posts

Profile of Anne
Haha, thanks Ed Smile
Too bad I know some people who might actually hand me a knife (they're backsmith), and don't mind blood, haha xD
I work a lot with fantasy-costume/festival related stuff and people, so some people micht actually respond even on the last, ahha!
But it sounds great to say to some annoying person with a kid with them Smile

Anyways, I'm comfortable with performing, since I did perform on stages (dancing) since I was just five years old.. But it's true that practice is very important.

Thanks again!
All help is welcome to me, and I'm happy with all kinds of!
JonesingForTruth
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of JonesingForTruth
As I said on another thread... Bring a friend along, show them a trick, if people haven't stopped by then the friend can say to a passer-by, did you see that? and go from there. Smile Just be sure it's a supportive friend, having your own personal cheerleader is always a plus. Smile
ManfredJack
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ManfredJack
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 17:00, Pengnome wrote:
Take smaller steps, e.g. show tricks to friends, sometimes they will be with people you don't know so you can show them and build up slowly. If the next step is strangers then try to pick one you think would like to see a trick, take a deep breath and go for it. Could you do tricks when you have your ferret or is that too much of a distraction?

I agree. Small wins are extremely important, but you will also need to test your comfort zone.
Morris
View Profile
New user
Anderson Indiana
7 Posts

Profile of Morris
When I was in the Navy back in the late 80's we would go on deployment over seas and I always carried a thumb tip a couple of silks and a deck of cards and my friends would always ask me to "Do some magic" it amazed me that how just a small group of friends gathered around watching me preform would draw a crowd of 15-20 people, and that was every time. so take your friends out and pick a place where there is a good amount of foot traffic and you will find an audience.
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
Instead of stopping perfect strangers walking by the street, now when I want to practice on strangers I select situations where they are more likely to want to be entertained. People waiting and looking bored at the mall for any reason [daughter buying clothes, tires of their car getting checked etc]; people at the park either relaxing or looking bored [waiting for someone, etc]; in coffee places when there aren't many customers, the person behind the counter often has down time and not much to do, and I found they respond well to offers of impromptu magic. Even more so if you just bought a coffee from them: you ARE the customer after all! I bring my little daughter to dance class once a week, and the secretary at the desk, who looks bored most of the time and has almost nothing to do but sitting there, has become an audience for my tricks. Target people of this type, and knowing they are likely to accept you'll fill more confident too.
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
Instead of stopping perfect strangers walking by the street, now when I want to practice on strangers I select situations where they are more likely to want to be entertained. People waiting and looking bored at the mall for any reason [daughter buying clothes, tires of their car getting checked etc]; people at the park either relaxing or looking bored [waiting for someone, etc]; in coffee places when there aren't many customers, the person behind the counter often has down time and not much to do, and I found they respond well to offers of impromptu magic. Even more so if you just bought a coffee from them: you ARE the customer after all! I bring my little daughter to dance class once a week, and the secretary at the desk, who looks bored most of the time and has almost nothing to do but sitting there, has become an audience for my tricks. Target people of this type, and knowing they are likely to accept you'll fill more confident too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Soo.. I can't get started.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL