The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis in advertising (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Thing is if story is true and it probably is the hypnotist would lose out financially by not getting the show broadcast. And also lose out on the tv coverage. It made Paul McKenna a house hold name and multi millionaire.

I can see why the broadcasting authorities would feel nervous. Some one could possibly injure themselves by falling over etc. And with millions watching it is only a numbers game.
hypnokid
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of hypnokid
There is no law in the UK but there is an OFCOMM guideline which covers TV in the UK. Prior to that there was a BBC guideline that applied to the BBC only that probably dates back to the Casson story.

HK
Too much style to be a stage hypnotist.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
They don't need an actual act of parliament then since it seems to be self regulated. Its illegal in the sense that its not permitted.
hypnokid
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of hypnokid
Is that you being artfully vague?

HK
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
This article is closer to the truth. It was a controlled test.

I am not convinced the stray engineer had not already been 'touched' by Casson.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_2k......bc&hl=en

If the link does not take you to the article jut search fro Peter Casson BBC in the archive and look for the articles from 1946 relating to this experiment.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I couldn't find full article

There is a a paragraph here mentioning "test". But it doesn't say whether they were directly hypnotised or fell into trance while filming. http://www.teletronic.co.uk/herestv8.htm

The Independant article says it was in 1952.

I still think its possible for someone suggestible to go into trance from watching through a monitor. Whether this was the case or not. I don't know why Casson's would jeopardize his chances of tv exposure by hypnotizing an engineer deliberately.

But who knows.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2012-06-02 21:25, hypnokid wrote:

HK

illegal doesn't necessarily mean criminal law. It also means not permitted.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 05:07, mindpunisher wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-02 21:25, hypnokid wrote:

HK

illegal doesn't necessarily mean criminal law. It also means not permitted.

Are you sure?

Well anyhow if the discussion is if you can fall into trance from watching a monitor then why discuss? Of course you can.

Seriously is that the question? There really is no debate. If a blind person can be hypnotized, and they can, then watching a monitor or even just listening can work. I don't see the debate.

Now legs@ or what not sure debate away.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Here are a few definitions of the word illegal But I don't see what the point is of continuous nitpicking over meanings of words. The reality is it is NOT possible to broadcast full inductions on TV at least in the UK for sure.

Anybody who has done enough shows especially with larger audiences will know about how easy it is for innocent members of the audience to slip into trance with no intentions. So I don't even know why we are debating whether a TV engineer was hypnotized or not. It's certainly easily possible and it would have been to Casson's advantage financially for his show to have made it to broadcast. So I assume he was motivated to make it work. But we will never know for sure from the info online alone.

illegal (ɪˈliːɡ ə l)

— adj
1. forbidden by law; unlawful; illicit
2. unauthorized or prohibited by a code of official or accepted rules

— n
3. a person who has entered or attempted to enter a country illegally

il'legally

— adv

ille'gality

— n

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source

1. unlawful; illegitimate; illicit; unlicensed. Illegal, unlawful, illegitimate, illicit, criminal can all describe actions not in accord with law. Illegal refers most specifically to violations of statutes or, in organized athletics, codified rules: an illegal seizure of property; an illegal block ( in football ). Unlawful means not sanctioned by or according to law: an unlawful claim to the inheritance; to take unlawful advantage of the trading situation. Illegitimate means lacking legal or traditional right or rights: an illegitimate child; illegitimate use of privileged knowledge. Illicit, which originally meant simply “not permitted,” now most often applies to matters regulated by law with specific emphasis on the way things are carried out: illicit conversion of property; an illicit attempt to control the market. Criminal most often refers to violation of the statutes of penal as opposed to civil law. All felonies are criminal as are all crimes sometimes punishable by death such as murder, arson, and kidnapping: a criminal act.
hypnokid
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of hypnokid
You stand by your words. I like that.

HK
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is another definition of illegal.

A sick bird.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 22:25, Dannydoyle wrote:
Here is another definition of illegal.

A sick bird.

Are you sure that's not an illeagle?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I honestly think we all got that Smile
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I sure hope so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I met this sick bird on Sat who bought me a ticket to go see cage fighting with her in Glasgow. She screamed in delight everytime someone was hurt.... bizarre night. Weegies are now paying to watch them kill each other...

I have never heard of the term before

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sick%20bird
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Whether or not its illegal I think its chancing it to do it. JMO
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis in advertising (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL