The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Impromptu DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vendy
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Vendy
Hi all. Guys I'm looking for Impromptu card tricks DVD tutorials. What DVDs can you advice me to watch?
I've already have:
- Aldo Colombini impromptu card magic (1-6)
- Gregory Wilson In Action (1-3)
- Bill Malone On the lose (1-3)
- John Guastaferro Brainstorm (1-2)
- Paul Gordon Powerful impromptu card magic
- Royal road to card magic
I cant find some more DVDs, please, help me.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8557 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Are you serious? Look up my "Best Ever" DVD 4-volume set. Just go to my magic website - listed under this post, with the word "magic" in it, and click on DVDs. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Vendy
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Vendy
Thank you very much, Mr.Lorayne! Im new in magic (only about 6 months) so I do not know all the sources of such information. Thank you again.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
You have enough for a life time already. I will give you advice that I KNOW you wont take, but believe me...you already have to much! Study the Bill Malone DVDs and if you can perform 1/10th of the material then you will have more then most.

Billy

p.s. the Lorayne stuff is good, but you DO NOT need it
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
I have to agree you don't need to add any thing to that already long list - again you wont take this advice ( hey I didn't at the begining !) but you are better off getting a few effects upto a high level than many to an average level.
Have fun..
Vendy
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Vendy
Maybe some more DVDs you can advice me?

Posted: May 31, 2012 12:03pm
Ohh.. Not all of those tricks I like - I want to create something like my own list of tricks. I do not perform magic for money - its just a hobby for me. So I wanna know as much impromptu as I can. Ofcourse I'm going to master them at first.
Cheers.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Vendy,

It would take you a lifetime to master all the material you have. However, since I know that nobody (not a personal insult) ever stops with what they have I would like to offer you a few really GOOD dvd choices.

1) 1-4 Easy to master card miracles
2) In the trenches (not just card stuff) Paul Green
3) If you are looking for a challenge Ben Trains new DVD from blue crown (my fav in the last few years)
4) More Bill Malone stuff (this really is the best stuff out there, IMO)
5) With a bit of regret(pretty bad performer at the time), I would recommend OZ Pearlmans card magic DVD....cant remember the name but Its a good starting point after RR.
6) This one is a bit obscure but Cutting Edge cards/coin magic (I really like it)
7) Not unlike Ben Trains work, if your looking for something a bit harder I would also look into Shoot Ogawas card magic lecture DVD (the reset type effect has been my number one GO TO impromptu effect for the last 3-4 years)

This is just a list of DVDs that have ALOT of information for the buck, except Shoots and Ben Trains but those DVDs are just ah may zing and will really show you what can be done with a deck of cards.

Billy
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2618 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
All of the above advice is good, especially in regard to practicing what you already have. But if you're still at the stage of figuring out what fits you then I'll add one more recommendation. Gregory Wilson's On The Spot. It contains a number of routines that are all impromptu that use whatever is around--coins, napkins, pens, etc. The material ranges in difficulty level so you will be pushed to improve your chops as you make your way through the various routines.

Good luck in your search.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8557 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I would absolutely listen to Billy-one - his knowledge is obviously ah may zing! (Whether or not it is correct, is another story.)

Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mr.Lorayne,

I think your poking fun at me, but my point still holds true....too many DVDs are fun, but don't lead anywhere productive when you already have a good foundation of material in your library.

The Uh may zing,
Billy
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8557 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Sorry, have no idea what you mean - wonder if you do! If you're saying that my DVDs "don't lead anywhere productive" then you really have no idea what you're talking about. You stated your opinion first with your DO NOT remark, I just stated mine.

Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mr. Lorayne,

I have all your books (but that's for another discussion), so I know the value of them. However, pitching DVDs and books to someone that does NOT need anymore books to become better at magic is somewhat irresponsible as a more experienced performer.

Yet, once they acknowledge that they are going to purchase DVDs despite my best and honest response....then I do think it responsible to lead them torwards the best material for the price.

I didn't add your DVDs to my list becuse you already did your pitch, before doing the responsible thing and letting the OP know that his time woulb be better spent learning the material he already has.

Now, if someone was looking for their first DVD I would fully reccomend your work...without one moment of hesitation as I think its some of the finest classic card magic on the market. Also, much can be learned about how to entertain with a pack of cards from your DVD collections.....but then again, a lot can be learned from your constant postings/marketting and general poor behavior.

Billy
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8557 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks for "I think its some of the finest classic card magic on the market. Also, much can be learned about how to entertain with a pack of cards from your DVD collections" but no thanks for "your constant postings/marketting and general poor behavior." Are you referring to my "poor behavior" of responding to, in my opinion, YOUR terrible behavior with your "you DO NOT need it" remark about my DVDs? I'm getting so tired of the few who talk about my stuff and then get offended when I state my opinion about their remarks. Sorry, my friend, you made a statement about me and mine that I don't agree with and responded accordingly. If that's a terrible thing I did, you have my apology. And, incidentally, you're really not helping the OP at all -IN MY OPINION. Harry L.

Posted: May 31, 2012 2:32pm
Vendy, are you listening?

Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
Quote:
And, incidentally, you're really not helping the OP at all -IN MY OPINION.

I'd say telling someone who's only been in magic for six months that SIXTEEN dvd's is pretty sound advice.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mr. Lorayne,

I sometimes play this game in my head where I pretend its not actually you posting these remarks, but a hired avatar. This helps me feel like Im not losing a hero in magic. You see, I live in North West Iowa and I don't meet any other working magicians...so what I know of the stars of Magic is what I read here in the Café. You, Sir, I hold the deepest respect for as a creator and performer as I have learned more from your books then almost any other sorces of material (with the exception of Bill Malone DVDs). This is stated from someone that is working as a close up magician and performing for real people most nights, not just a kid with a hobby...and I doubt that Im alone in feeling that you are a cornerstone to many peoples working material.

With that said, Im not sure why you are so short with people that will ultimitly be your legacy (outside of the memory business). Everytime I perform your gambler vs. magician I am in debt to what you started, however I always assumed you had more class. So I will continue to think that its not really you that is posting but a paid avatar, so I can keep you on the pedastool that I (and many others Im sure) have put you on.

Oh, In regards to the OPs post....you really think he would be better served to keep buying material oposed to learning what he already has?

Billy
Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
Of course, my post should read--

"I'd say telling someone who's only been in magic for six months that SIXTEEN dvd's is enough is pretty sound advice."
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
16 DVDs is plenty for any one ! O to hell with it just send H.L a blank check and see what arrives.....
Vendy
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Vendy
Yep, Mr.Lorayne, I'm listening.
I think that I have to master and learn tricks that I already have atm. But all the DVDs were adviced in this thread are addeded into my shopping cart.
Im from Russia and I have no teacher or someone who will guide me into magic - this is the biggest problem for me. I have to do myself, alone and ask for help only in the Café via internet in foreign language (english). Very sad that magic in Russia is already dead.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Vendy,

Let me tell you this, Harry Lorayne is a "god" in magic and there really is no better teacher....it would serve you well to get his DVDs if you are in fact going to buy more DVDS.

Mr. Lorayne,

Me telling Vendy he doesn't need more DVDs was not saying he doesn't need YOUR dvds! I just felt that giving a new "magician" to much material is like taking a sip out of a firehose...I wish I had not splurged on all the stuff that I bought when starting out, so that's the wisdom I was trying to impart. It had nothing to do with your material.

Billy
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Vendy:

READ THIS CAREFULLY:

The entire point here is to use DISCIPLINE. Research your purchases and then plan them out in a manner that allows you to study them. Since you have a good number already, I'd suggest this: buy ONE or TWO DVD's a month from this point on and MAKE SURE you've watched them all at least twice before you buy more.

Having said that, if you're interested in impromptu card magic, then your next few purchases should be DVD's by Harry Lorayne. You'd be very hard pressed to find better impromptu card magic than what's in his DVD's and Books. Not only that, but there's such a wide variety of material that you'll certainly be able to form an actual 12 to 15 minute set that fits your style and audience.

SEY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Impromptu DVDs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL