The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Evans Modern Times : Making gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
I finished watching the Evans DVD's, and he goes on to explain the gimmick. He explains what the gimmick is, but not how to make it. He says it uses la**x, but does anyone have any more information on how to make them? I know the advice about buying it because it is well made, but I want to at least try to make one because I just put some bucks down on the DVD! Smile

Thanks a ton!
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
If you don't know how to make acrobatic gaffs, I really doubt you could make a workable version. This stuff is pretty darn hard, even if you have personal instruction.

Making a gaff like the one in Modern Times would be nearly impossible unless you have experience (plus you need a FAKO deck or something like it to get the card-box card).

Not trying to be negative....I have a little experience in this area (and friends with more experience with gaffing than is healthy).
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
I thought maybe he should have included some instruction on the construction of the gaff.

Oh well.
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
The instructions would be about the length of the rest of the video (!!!).

There is a video on card-gaffing by Don England out. I don't believe it goes over acrobatic gaffs, and it is a fairly long video. To make an acrobatic gaff you need to know practically all the stuff about regular card gaffing, and more. A lot more.

It is one of those things that has about a million little issues that come up that you wouldn't think about until you try to do it.

For $25.00, the modern times gaffs are a good deal.

-Garrett
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Garrett is telling you right. An acrobatic gimmick is not easy to make. I do a lecture that teaches how to make gaffed cards and I do touch on the subject of acrobatics, but to be honest after people see how much work is involved in making one, they would rather buy one already made. I am not saying this to try and sell you one, but to let you know that it is not an easy thing to make, nor an easy thing to teach others as well.
All the Best
Marty
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
Lol

No problem guys. Thanks. I just wanted to see if I could try making them before buying them.

It looks like most of his gimmicks are extremeley hard to make.

Success!

I stayed up almost all night trying to work this gaff, and I have made a prototype and it looks pretty good! However, it is pretty thick, to hid some of the materials, but I think I got most of it. I will buy a copy of Modern Times to see how mine compares.

Thanks for your help guys!
mike4dice
View Profile
New user
Randolph, NJ
84 Posts

Profile of mike4dice
The one I bought directly from him is a piece of junk! Very thick and it sticks all the time. I would never use it in a performance! His lecture notes were also not worth the paper they were printed on - simply a collection of the direction sheets for his various effects.

His lecture was very good and his effects as he does them are wonderful.

Overall, I felt I was badly stung by what I bought at his lecture.

mike Smile
"Talents are best nurtured in solitude; but character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world." - Goethe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Evans Modern Times : Making gimmick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL